11:00 a.m. start times...

sec105

Reaction score
Is anybody else sick and tired of Saturday morning Football games?

It would appear that all of our games will have 11:00 a.m. starts this year.

Not at all like the good old days.

Why Do Think They're All 11:00-ers?

I wouldn't make evening plans for a couple of dates.

Is anybody else sick and tired of Saturday morning Football games?

It would appear that all of our games will have 11:00 a.m. starts this year.

Not at all like the good old days.

Anyone under the age of 35 ... anyone who lives outside of Ramsey and Hennepin County ... anyone who likes to stay out late ... and likes to go to the games (insead of watching on TV) hates the 11 AM kickoff.

And the more there are, the worse the effect. The fans can handle one or two. By the third, it is going to leave its mark on attendance. And yes, I know, winning overcomes everything. So does playing a compelling opponent. But all the 11 AM kickoffs easily grew to have a -5,000 to -10,000 effect on attendance in and of itself last year. There would have been way more people at the Northwestern and Michigan games.

But where did you already hear that the games are all going to be at 11?

Nothing the U can do but field a team that is more watchable nationwide on BTN or ESPN/ABC
Start times are a TV thing unfortunately, they are not for the fans at the game.

Nothing the U can do but field a team that is more watchable nationwide on BTN or ESPN/ABC
Start times are a TV thing unfortunately, they are not for the fans at the game.

That's just the problem. It's not even national TV. It's just regional BTN coverage. And the Big Ten doesn't seem to understand that the conference has two time zones.

I think everyone would agree that a few 11 AM games are okay if ESPN or ABC wants to pick-up the game.

But all these 11 AM games on the BTN so they show gymnatistics every Saturday afternoons in the Fall is just stupid.

BTN DOES NOT MAKE THE START TIMES FOR THE GAMES

When will people finally wake up and realize this? The start times are purely driven off of the Big Ten Conferences' agreement with ABC/ESPN that was put into place before the BTN started.

BTN has NOTHING........NOTHING to do with start times. If it were up to them they would have three or four games in a row on Saturday like they do for College Basketball - or at the very least be able to show them at different times than the ESPN games like they do for BB.

SERIOUSLY, PEOPLE. STOP BLAMING THE BTN.

When they finally have a say in the contract for the Big Ten and media rights for football it will be a very good thing, TRUST ME.

You Guys (Gals?) Cry Like Little Babies

11:00 kickoffs don't seem to bother Wisky, Iowa, Illinois . . .

There are but 7 home game - per year!

I drive 4.5 hours one way to games, and although I opt to stay in Mpls Friday nights on occasion, I have left many times at 3:00 or 3:30 a.m. to get there to tailgate by 7:30 or 8:00 for an 11:00 game.

So suck it up, realize that TV dictates the schedule, and get your butts to the game - even if at 11:00.

That's next to the "I had a lot of yard work to do - so I couldn't make it to the game." It's a miracle that yard work gets done in State College, Columbus, Ann Anbor, and somehow, 100,000 fans show up every home game.

:rolleyes:

When will people finally wake up and realize this? The start times are purely driven off of the Big Ten Conferences' agreement with ABC/ESPN that was put into place before the BTN started.

BTN has NOTHING........NOTHING to do with start times. If it were up to them they would have three or four games in a row on Saturday like they do for College Basketball - or at the very least be able to show them at different times than the ESPN games like they do for BB.

When they finally have a say in the contract for the Big Ten and media rights for football it will be a very good thing, TRUST ME.

This is how I understood it too. I'm pretty sure that contractually they aren't allowed to have BTN face off vs. the 2:30 ABC game. Not sure how they decide when a night game can be on BTN or not though. Anyone know?

11:00 kickoffs don't seem to bother Wisky, Iowa, Illinois . . .

You obviously don't read their boards. They hate it.

Here's a tip ... if you want cheap tickets go on craigslist after they have just announced a morning kick-off at Camp Randall.

being a student, 11:00 games for sure have a negative effect on the student section. There are not nearly enough dedicated student fans to make up for the casual fan who are not into getting up after a night of drinking. if they do make the game its dead. I think next year will be a lot better, but after that i dont know

How they were able to pull off the following in 2007?:

Bowling Green @ MN 7:00 PM - BTN
Illinois @ MN 7:00 PM - BTN
MN @ Wisconsin 2:30 PM - BTN

Night games actually in primetime, instead of at 6. And they carried a Minnesota game at 2:30.

I personally love 11:00 games. I enjoy morning tailgating, the crispness of fall mornings and the gathering energy as the campus wakes up. Top it all off with a game that ends at 3:00 and I still have the afternoon/evening to get errands done or just unwind watching the rest of the day's slate of games.

There is something purely collegiate about an 11:00 start time, leave the night games to the pros.

If there is one thing all Big Ten fans despise, regardless of school, it's the 11:10 AM start.

Maybe things will be a little bit different now that we're out of the Dump, but I still would rather have a later start.

I love 11am games. Nothing like 6am tailgate start ups. Egg bakes and bacon....w/ a nice stogie.

The only thing bad about it is that I miss ESPN game day.

The only time a sporting event should ever start before noon local time is the NCAA tourney.

How they were able to pull off the following in 2007?:

Bowling Green @ MN 7:00 PM - BTN
Illinois @ MN 7:00 PM - BTN
MN @ Wisconsin 2:30 PM - BTN

Night games actually in primetime, instead of at 6. And they carried a Minnesota game at 2:30.

I forgot about that Wisky game. So perhaps its just more of a preference to avoid conflicts with an ABC game than a contractual requirement? There has never been an issue with getting night games scheduled, though I've always wondered how they pick when they have them. 11ams will get worse in the late season when the night games are not an option.

Anyone under the age of 35 ... anyone who lives outside of Ramsey and Hennepin County ... anyone who likes to stay out late ... and likes to go to the games (insead of watching on TV) hates the 11 AM kickoff.

I am under 35, live outside Ramsey & Hennepin Count, love to stay out late and am a season ticket holder and I like the 11 AM kickoffs.

Wake up, tailgate, enjoy some eggs on the grill... I guess I just love college football!

Count me as the under 35 crowd that doesn't mind 11am kickoffs. Guys....there are 7 home games at most in a season. That's 7 or less times in a YEAR that you'll have to get up a little early and adjust your plans accordingly. Suck it up.

Since when is getting up for an 11 am game "early"?

Count me in the group that actually likes the 11 am games. I think there's a significant contingent who just enjoy having things to bitch about.

Win some damn games, and then you can have a little more consideration when it comes to scheduling preferences.

sec105 - I guarantee right now that there will be at least one home game that doesn't start at 11am. For one, they will not ask Cal to play an 11am Central game here, considering their internal clocks will be at 9am. I'm also inclined to believe reports that there's a big push for later kick off times for AFA and Sparty. The AFA game especially, as the opener, probably has a lot of higher ups at the U pulling any strings they need to in order to avoid the 11am kick.

I can definitely see four or five games with the 11am kick. No way all seven are, though.

Exactly...there are 7 games a year.
Do you all cry about the start times for Vikings games? Noon starts on Sundays?

I can definitely see four or five games with the 11am kick. No way all seven are, though.
Glad to hear that parkinglotgopher. I will be at every single game this year with a smile on my face no matter what the start time.

I just like the later starts because it gives a more traditional feel to the college football experience, less of a second class citizen feel to the games. "Let's get this Gopher game out of the way so we can watch the important games this afternoon." Well, to me the Gopher Game is the only meaningful game.

Getting up early is not the point as far as I'm concerned. I get up early every day of the week. It detracts from the overall experience in my opinion.

I know we have no control over this.

Now that Ive bitched about that I must find something else to bitch about...hmm how about parking....yeah..that's it... parking is a bitch.

Do you all cry about the start times for Vikings games? Noon starts on Sundays?

I couldn't give a rats ass about the Vikings. What a waste of time they are.

Looks like both AFA and Sparty are at night per the BTN primetime schedule.

The 2007 Wisconsin game was at 2:30 on the BTN because ABC had Michigan-Ohio State as its national game at 11:00 a.m.

Top Bottom