10 most interesting options to replace Richard Pitino

I love it! he reminds me of Dicky V X PJ Fleck hybrid
If I trust my eyes in the time I've spent watching those games, he has at least one assistant and one player who are bald. Between him, his coaches, and PJ...

There you go. YouTube video on him. So now everyone on GH will suddenly pick him. :cool:

DeVries should be a candidate as far as I'm concerned.
The Missouri Valley guys should be second tier to the Mountain West guys.

I don't see any reason that shouldn't be true.

He and PJ could do a dueling banjo-style back and forth as performance art.
My god. He's a Fleck clone. Right down the bald head.

Double white baldy used car salesmen. :ROFLMAO:

Wins are wins. I'm in!

Just looking objectively at the resumes and the the difficulty of the MWC, it should be Smith. Unless Niko has a crazy run this month, that's the only thing to wait and see.

My god. He's a Fleck clone. Right down the bald head.

Double white baldy used car salesmen. :ROFLMAO:

Wins are wins. I'm in!

Just looking objectively at the resumes and the the difficulty of the MWC, it should be Smith. Unless Niko has a crazy run this month, that's the only thing to wait and see.
For me, Smith is what I've said I always wanted: fundamentally sound, beautiful-to-watch basketball with equal emphases on offense and defense. It's what builtbadgers always talks about: uncompromising commitment to defending and establishment of culture. And I think, with his personality, Minnesota would recruit its share of talent.

All these guys that are being mentioned have a lot going for them and are excellent prospects. It makes me wonder where this caliber of candidate was last time we did this.

So 51 years ago a coach left. And we are worried
About it happening again 😂

I'm not. Especially considering the number of high-quality candidates out there. If a guy left for another job for whatever reason, he's likely done a good job here and would leave a good situation for the next guy (unless he takes his entire nationally-ranked recruiting class with him like Holtz did).

Here's a video from Smith's first year at Utah St, with he and the players discussing how he coaches. So much of this sounds familiar...

By my unofficial count Utah State made more 3s in that clip than Pitino's teams have made over the last two seasons.

Didn't know much about Smith before watching that. He just experienced a huge jump up my interest meter. Intriguing guy I would be happy to end up with.

He inherited a very good program and he obviously can coach (national coach of the year last year).

However he has never built a program and I don't agree that he has name recognition. Kids don't care that his dad coached here 34 years ago. Also, any coach from the MWC would be interested in this job so the fact that he publicly has stated it is a moot point in my opinion.
As Assoc. HC for Fisher, he was key in recruiting the talent at Mich and SDSU, so I think he has experience building programs.

Jeff Borzello (ESPN) posted an article on college openings and he echos what Snow from 247 said. MN could likely be the best job on the market this cycle pending AZ/IND. There are certainly some positive vibes about our program and its potential out there! lets quit settling for weakling wednesday!!

Jeff Borzello (ESPN) posted an article on college openings and he echos what Snow from 247 said. MN could likely be the best job on the market this cycle pending AZ/IND. There are certainly some positive vibes about our program and its potential out there! lets quit settling for weakling wednesday!!

I think the key is for Coyle to try and have his guy zeroed in on and agreed in principle before a program like Arizona or Indiana decides to make a move. If it's anything like the Claeys/PJ situation, he is already starting that progress.

I think the key is for Coyle to try and have his guy zeroed in on and agreed in principle before a program like Arizona or Indiana decides to make a move. If it's anything like the Claeys/PJ situation, he is already starting that progress.
And probably started it last year, before covid ruined it.

And not even just Minnesota but the conference as a whole. From memory, John Beilein and Bill Self are the last couple of coaches to voluntarily leave Big Ten head coaching positions for better jobs, and that was for an NBA head coaching position and and one of the top programs in college basketball, both after making national championship game appearances. The idea that someone might go to a Sweet Sixteen here in year 3 or 4 and immediately bolt for like Florida or Texas or Georgetown or something doesn’t seem extremely likely.

Gates is interested in MN but he's also interested in BC because his wife is a professor there.

Some like Medved because he's a player in the MN High School BB scene and would bring Dave Thorson with him. The thinking is that duo could recruit MN better than others.

No steam on Dutcher, Mussleman or Matta

Keep in mind that people leaking info right now have agendas
This post made me laugh. My dream is Matta (he's not coming) or Musselman (probably not coming). Of the rest, I think I lean Dutcher by a smidge. Of course, no steam on any of them. And I'm intrigued by Medved because I think he and Thorson would recruit Minnesota well. :D

I'm pretty agnostic about the search. After Matta and Musselman, it's a crapshoot and we're waiting three to five years to know if it's right. Please, God, let Coyle make the right call.

And not even just Minnesota but the conference as a whole. From memory, John Beilein and Bill Self are the last couple of coaches to voluntarily leave Big Ten head coaching positions for better jobs, and that was for an NBA head coaching position and and one of the top programs in college basketball, both after making national championship game appearances. The idea that someone might go to a Sweet Sixteen here in year 3 or 4 and immediately bolt for like Florida or Texas or Georgetown or something doesn’t seem extremely likely.
Johnny Orr left Michigan for Iowa State in 1980. That was a bit of a surprise when it happened. And, of course, Lute Olson bolted Iowa for Arizona back in the day.

If it turns out Muss is actually interested, but the Gophers go with someone else...that's not a very good look for the U, especially if they grab someone unproven who struggles initially. I don't think they take any huge risks with this one.

If it turns out Muss is actually interested, but the Gophers go with someone else...that's not a very good look for the U, especially if they grab someone unproven who struggles initially. I don't think they take any huge risks with this one.
This is my hope...hire someone who isn't as high of a risk. That didn't work out last go. I realize we're not a blue blood but we're still a big ten team. Get someone who deserves this promotion.

Top Bottom