🏒 🏒 🏒 HOCKEY 🏒 🏒 🏒

I’m not a hockey guy generally but I’ve watched all three of the Gophers’ tournament games this year, and might head to Dinkytown to watch the final on Saturday. I’ve granted myself permission to bandwagon for the hockey team a bit as someone who has watched the great majority of the basketball games the last couple seasons.

I’m not a hockey guy generally but I’ve watched all three of the Gophers’ tournament games this year, and might head to Dinkytown to watch the final on Saturday. I’ve granted myself permission to bandwagon for the hockey team a bit as someone who has watched the great majority of the basketball games the last couple seasons.

Not only should you go watch it, I don't feel you should have to pay for one damn drink - you more than earned it surviving that crucible! :)

This is an odd “Minnesota” psyche that I too once had. I’ve since outgrown it and now fully embrace having the best team or whatever.

Run up the score on Quinnipiac!
Q will be hard to run up the score on. They are a defense first team. Lots of 23 and 24-year olds and 2 25-year olds. I think I saw they have 7 5th-year seniors. Need to play smart and not turn the puck over.

Q will be hard to run up the score on. They are a defense first team. Lots of 23 and 24-year olds and 2 25-year olds. I think I saw they have 7 5th-year seniors. Need to play smart and not turn the puck over.
You can't stop what you can't catch. The Fighting Bobbers look like they are standing in cement sometimes. They scored 3 accidental goals against Michigan. Minnesota needs 3 goals to win.

You can't stop what you can't catch. The Fighting Bobbers look like they are standing in cement sometimes. They scored 3 accidental goals against Michigan. Minnesota needs 3 goals to win.
Watching the game, this made me feel better about our matchup with Quinnipiac. Some of those were heady plays by them (especially the one where he intentionally banked if off the back of the goalie), but still fluky. If they can limit those, they should have a good chance.

Guys....I'm on a work conference to Orlando next week....so I went ahead and booked a few days in St. Pete beach before the conference. As fate would have it, I fly into Tampa the day of the final!! I snagged a ticket on the lower level of the arena and will be at the game!!

This is like little-kid-me prime rib dream material.

Guys....I'm on a work conference to Orlando next week....so I went ahead and booked a few days in St. Pete beach before the conference. As fate would have it, I fly into Tampa the day of the final!! I snagged a ticket on the lower level of the arena and will be at the game!!

This is like little-kid-me prime rib dream material.
I went to the title game vs Maine way back when. Worth it.

Hockey was always my favorite sport to watch while at the U!

It’s too bad I hated Woog so passionately. I’ll never forgive him for benching Millen for violating team rules vs UND.

Oh, and sending the police to tell us to stop yelling insults at him. Our seats were right behind Gopher bench. Best moment, watching Millen nod when my roommate yelled that Woog was a freaking idiot for not putting in Corey.

It’s too bad I hated Woog so passionately. I’ll never forgive him for benching Millen for violating team rules vs UND.

Oh, and sending the police to tell us to stop yelling insults at him. Our seats were right behind Gopher bench. Best moment, watching Millen nod when my roommate yelled that Woog was a freaking idiot for not putting in Corey.
Woog ran a pretty loose ship so if Millen got benched for a violation it must have been pretty bad.

I don't know what it was about him, but I wasn't a big fan of the Wooger either.

I don't know what it was about him, but I wasn't a big fan of the Wooger either.
I met him a couple times on Gopher hockey road trips and he was so nice and truly seemed like he loved talking with fans. He loved the Gophers. This was post-coaching career (when he was a broadcaster).

Great guy in my experience.

Last edited:

I met him a couple times on Gopher hockey road trips and he was so nice and truly seemed like he loved talking with fans. He loved the Goohers. This was post-coaching career (when he was a broadcaster).

I never met him. I should qualify my statement that I just didn't think he was a good choice as Gopher coach at the time, even though he had some success.

I met him a couple times on Gopher hockey road trips and he was so nice and truly seemed like he loved talking with fans. He loved the Gophers. This was post-coaching career (when he was a broadcaster).

I have no personal experience with him, but this is the first place I’ve heard bad things said about him. Even rival fans seem to hold him in high regard.

“Another great moment was back around 95 or 96. I was waiting in the student line up at UND to get into the old Ralph with a buddy of mine who attended school there. We got out of line and went into the arena lobby to warm up as the gophers bus pulled in. As the players where going through the lobby some Sue fan was holding a sign that read “Goofers Suck” and spouting off to the players and coaches. With the entire team behind him, Woog steps up to the clown and tells the kid “I will give you $50 for that sign.” The kid thinks about it for a minute and hands Woog the sign. Woog hands the kid some amount of money and starts walking away. The kid then yells “hey, this isn’t fifty bucks” and Woog yells back “You are a North Dakota fan, I didn’t think they could count to fifty, obviously they don’t know how to spell Gophers correctly, it’s spelled with two F’s.” All the boys on the team start laughing as Woog walks away and the kid just stands there with a stupid look on his face and no sign. Priceless! ”

Absolute gold LOL. RIP Wooger

This is an odd “Minnesota” psyche that I too once had. I’ve since outgrown it and now fully embrace having the best team or whatever.

Run up the score on Quinnipiac!
I could outgrow it, but I have very little practice. All my teams are eternal underdogs, except Gopher hockey. Though the Rays sure look like a steamroller right now, even they are the 3rd smallest payroll in MLB.

Top Bottom