“The hits wore me down,” Sherry said

gopherfield

Reaction score
The Defensive pressure can pay huge dividends going forward. Pressure, speed and depth are our biggest improvements on the D from last year.

From the Las Vegas Sun article on the game:

There’s no record of just how many times UNLV quarterback Nick Sherry got hit Thursday night. Officially he was sacked just twice, but seemingly every time he went back to pass — and even just after hand-offs — Sherry had to get picked up off the ground by teammates.

It was a rough welcome to college football for the freshman and it played a big role in UNLV’s hard-fought 30-27 triple-overtime loss to Minnesota (1-0) at Sam Boyd Stadium.

While the Rebels stayed in the game the whole way, Sherry disappeared down the stretch, going 4-for-17 the rest of the way with two more interceptions.

“The hits wore me down,” Sherry said. “I haven’t been hit in two years. The first ones kind of woke me up and in the second half I started to feel it.”

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/aug/31/nick-sherry-gets-hit-often-college-debut-30-27-tri/

I love this. I wanted to see this in the game, and it happened. Even if we don't get the sack, the numbers speak for themselves. Hitting a freshman QB enough and he finishes the game 4-17 with 2 INTs. Love it.

That boy got a butt kicking for sure.

Overall the most pressure I can recall us getting in years. This may have been Wilhite's best game as a Gopher & Hageman is really starting to excel at getting into the backfield (not sold on his run defense).

Overall the most pressure I can recall us getting in years. This may have been Wilhite's best game as a Gopher & Hageman is really starting to excel at getting into the backfield (not sold on his run defense).

They dominated but they need to lay off the horse collars.

really? that must have been fun to watch. Sherry listed at 6'5" and 240. what will happen to smaller qbs?

It was vicious. Hageman is incredibly strong and it showed last night. That play he swung Sherry to the ground with such power you would have thought that Sherry was a 180 lb scat back.

Suprised there was no flag on that play.

It was vicious. Hageman is incredibly strong and it showed last night. That play he swung Sherry to the ground with such power you would have thought that Sherry was a 180 lb scat back.

Suprised there was no flag on that play.

No flag, no penalty.

But one of the strangest calls was I think in the third quarter. We had had a couple false starts by then and one by Tommy Olsen. And then the flag and the call disconcerting signals against UNLV. I must have been living under a rock, but I am stumped. This must be defensive signal calling to interupt or affect the QB's call.

No flag, no penalty.

But one of the strangest calls was I think in the third quarter. We had had a couple false starts by then and one by Tommy Olsen. And then the flag and the call disconcerting signals against UNLV. I must have been living under a rock, but I am stumped. This must be defensive signal calling to interupt or affect the QB's call.

Rule 9-5-1d:

"Use of disconcerting acts or words prior to the snap to interfere with A's signals or movements"

I talked to a college ref one time about this and sent him an email lastnight and he said that most of the time it's a DL mimicing the QB's signals/cadence.

Top Bottom