“He would have a little bit of trouble” - Royce White claims that Nikola Jokic wouldn’t be as dominant in a physically oriented old-school era

Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0

New Orleans 2020
Reaction score
Interesting take by Royce.

The 1990s and early 2000s are largely recognized as one of the most physically grueling periods in basketball history. The game was defined by a tough and brutal style of play during this time period, with relentless physicality dominating the courts. The era saw the birth of renowned big players like Shaquille O'Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Karl Malone, among others, who imposed their will in the paint and demonstrated their raw strength and enviable physical predispositions.

In light of this, former professional basketball player Royce White recently posed an intriguing question about Nikola Jokic, speculating on how his skill-oriented style of play and subpar physical characteristics would have fared in the harsh environment of the old-school era.

“He would have a little bit of trouble, because his body… He isn’t built well… He doesn’t have an athletic body,” former basketball professional - turned mental health advocate claimed on Jason Whitlock podcast.

So is he just upset that a guy with point center skills succeeded where he couldn’t?

He makes a point about physical centers I guess But it’s not the 90s. How do I put it? Royce is a character. Probably ended up at the right school for him personally.

I'm way old and the game has changed so much in the over sixty years I've been watching it. I think most modern-centers would have trouble with Nate Thurmond or Wilt Chamberlain leaning on you or Artis Gilmore pestering the crap out of you, but Jokic's game would have stood up in pretty much any era. He has a knack and feel for the game and his all-around skills would likely translate. He'd be an outside-the-box center, but then so were guys like Dave Cowens and Jack Sikma.

Huh? Royce White is still trying to be relevant? "Intriguing question"? Not really.

In the physical era Nikola Jokic would still be good because he has a lot of skills but nope, he wouldn't be as dominant.

Royce buried the lead. We never would have heard about Step Curry, Klay Thompson, Irving or a hoard of other players who depended on not being hassled and getting open to shoot the 3.

Heck, pick any high scoring guard from this era and ask if they could have played in the "rough 'em up" years. The answer is no. Wonder why he wasn't talking about them?

Last edited:

Interesting take by Royce.

The 1990s and early 2000s are largely recognized as one of the most physically grueling periods in basketball history. The game was defined by a tough and brutal style of play during this time period, with relentless physicality dominating the courts. The era saw the birth of renowned big players like Shaquille O'Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Karl Malone, among others, who imposed their will in the paint and demonstrated their raw strength and enviable physical predispositions.

In light of this, former professional basketball player Royce White recently posed an intriguing question about Nikola Jokic, speculating on how his skill-oriented style of play and subpar physical characteristics would have fared in the harsh environment of the old-school era.

“He would have a little bit of trouble, because his body… He isn’t built well… He doesn’t have an athletic body,” former basketball professional - turned mental health advocate claimed on Jason Whitlock podcast.

The same could be said of other eras etc…hardly revelatory or groundbreaking🥱

Top Bottom