’18 Athletic Department Study Showed Serious Racial Bias in Iowa Football

Ferentz for all of his many failings does not appear to be an idiot. He knows he has a high transfer rate. To buy into this story or narrative being pushed by Howe and ESPN one has to believe that Ferentz’s closet hatred of blacks is so strong it outweighs his desire to field a good team or promote a strong team culture. That’s a big ask, IMO. Maybe? It seems more likely he has a very tough standard and some have to travel further to meet it than others. Some just aren’t going to make it.

As you often do, you always advocate taking the rational, studied approach to one of these controversies, but you use hyperbole and sarcasm that reveals your rather strong biases. Quite sure very few, if any, people have accused Ferentz of having a "closest hatred" of blacks. He is a hard-assed football coach who has been successful. That doesn't preclude him not understanding black players or favoring white ones in ways that that can be called "racist."

As you often do, you always advocate taking the rational, studied approach to one of these controversies, but you use hyperbole and sarcasm that reveals your rather strong biases. Quite sure very few, if any, people have accused Ferentz of having a "closest hatred" of blacks. He is a hard-assed football coach who has been successful. That doesn't preclude him not understanding black players or favoring white ones in ways that that can be called "racist."
PE doesn’t like that take, so he’s going to gaslight you and force you to “prove” every minutiae of every aspect, as an excuse from having to admit you’re correct.

Prove it! You stereotype more than any other poster I've seen!
It's ok to stereotype if you have the politically correct mantra coming out of your mouth. Some don't even understand how this could be construed as a double standard.

Yes, that’s possible but there is only anecdotal evidence from a handful of likely poor fit or disgruntled players over 20 years as a head coach. Tell me Mulligan, what does it mean to “act like a white person and cannot be yourself”. What does a white person act like? Is that a ludicrous statement? How does “very much alienate individualism” equate to racism, in your view? No I in what?

From the report:

Numerous players and coaches told investigators that the Iowa Way requires players to fit a “mold” that discourages self-expression and is not inclusive to Black players. Many players said that, if players do not fit the “mold,” coaches do not want them in the program. Many Black players reported feeling like they cannot be themselves and must “completely change” or “put on an act.” Players explained that there is a requirement to be “robotic,” in that they are required to look the same, act the same, and say the same things. One former player said that conforming was like putting on a mask. A current player told investigators that constantly needing to conform is “mentally draining.” One coach agreed that the concept has not been inclusive and can “very much alienate individualism.” A second coach stated that players have told him the Iowa Way means “you act like a White person and cannot be yourself.” Indeed, one employee told investigators that White players, as well as one coach, have said that Black players do not fit “the mold.”

PE doesn’t like that take, so he’s going to gaslight you and force you to “prove” every minutiae of every aspect, as an excuse from having to admit you’re correct.

Correct, I’m going to ask for some examples of the terrible behavior he’s accused of. I don’t think that’s too much to ask. The report was a near literal regurgitation of the tweets and 2019 Iowa internal investigation and interviews. They only interviewed a few dozen players out of the what, thousands of former players and staff?

Yes, that’s possible but there is only anecdotal evidence from a handful of likely poor fit or disgruntled players over 20 years as a head coach. Tell me Mulligan, what does it mean to “act like a white person and cannot be yourself”. What does a white person act like? Is that a ludicrous statement? How does “very much alienate individualism” equate to racism, in your view? No I in what?

From the report:

Numerous players and coaches told investigators that the Iowa Way requires players to fit a “mold” that discourages self-expression and is not inclusive to Black players. Many players said that, if players do not fit the “mold,” coaches do not want them in the program. Many Black players reported feeling like they cannot be themselves and must “completely change” or “put on an act.” Players explained that there is a requirement to be “robotic,” in that they are required to look the same, act the same, and say the same things. One former player said that conforming was like putting on a mask. A current player told investigators that constantly needing to conform is “mentally draining.” One coach agreed that the concept has not been inclusive and can “very much alienate individualism.” A second coach stated that players have told him the Iowa Way means “you act like a White person and cannot be yourself.” Indeed, one employee told investigators that White players, as well as one coach, have said that Black players do not fit “the mold.”
I'd transfer out if all of this was true. I don't doubt this report, but holy cow or should I say holy pig?

You’ll have to play with yourself PE. Your fake schtick gets old.

Nope; just a pig farmer who hates the Hawkeyes

Heck then. You can put all the perfumes and lipsticks on your pigs and make them look purdy. Don't forget to accesorized as my daughter used to say when she was young. You have fine swine not the snivelling hogeyes from down yonder.

Correct, I’m going to ask for some examples of the terrible behavior he’s accused of. I don’t think that’s too much to ask. The report was a near literal regurgitation of the tweets and 2019 Iowa internal investigation and interviews. They only interviewed a few dozen players out of the what, thousands of former players and staff?
Did you read the report?
You realize the strength coach was effectively fired?
Do you blame Patino for what happened at Louisville? As he wasn't at the stripping events himself. Head coach is responsible for the culture of the program.

Findings inlcude:
Use of slang and jargon speaking to Black players • Different rule enforcement for players based on race • Different discipline for players based on race • Different drug testing frequency based on race.....Now, if this was only mentioned by scorned players who never reached their potential I would be more skeptical, but NFL PLAYERS who went to Iowa are on record of being treated differently. But, keep on waiting for the "facts" to come out :rolleyes:

Of course, as I mentioned in a previous post I knew he wouldn't step down. I heard his recent interview and he mentioned that he asked his current coaches (whom he hired btw) told him he shouldn't step down. Shockkkkking.

Free market will win out and their recruiting will take a hit, and thus so will on field performance. As if I needed another reason to hate Iowa.

University is probably trying to use the report as legal cover to dismiss him with cause, meaning they would not have to pay out the rest of his contract.

He’s probably negotiating now to reach some compromise.

Wild speculation on my part.

Did you read the report?
You realize the strength coach was effectively fired?
Do you blame Patino for what happened at Louisville? As he wasn't at the stripping events himself. Head coach is responsible for the culture of the program.

Findings inlcude:
Use of slang and jargon speaking to Black players • Different rule enforcement for players based on race • Different discipline for players based on race • Different drug testing frequency based on race.....Now, if this was only mentioned by scorned players who never reached their potential I would be more skeptical, but NFL PLAYERS who went to Iowa are on record of being treated differently. But, keep on waiting for the "facts" to come out :rolleyes:

Of course, as I mentioned in a previous post I knew he wouldn't step down. I heard his recent interview and he mentioned that he asked his current coaches (whom he hired btw) told him he shouldn't step down. Shockkkkking.

Free market will win out and their recruiting will take a hit, and thus so will on field performance. As if I needed another reason to hate Iowa.

The strength coach was fired for a pattern of behavior that could be construed as excessive by some, and specifically a few instances of imitating speech patterns of some groups of black people (not all). Was Ferentz witness to that?

Ferentz said he targeted more white players than black for increased testing in 2019 due to discrepancies. Beyond that testing is randomized by an outside consultant.

The rest is the same baseless complaining about being held to a common standard. There’s the door, if you’re not on board. Ridiculous.

University is probably trying to use the report as legal cover to dismiss him with cause, meaning they would not have to pay out the rest of his contract.

They didn't uncover anything new. Correct that the investigators are typically hired with a goal in mind, whether legal or public relations or both. Theatrics.

PE, here’s a wild idea.

Instead of sitting back and doing the lowest effort possible, nitpicking someone else’s post and position and reasons x,y,z that they believe support that position ...... try this for once in you life:

put your position forward. State what you believe. State reasons a,b,c that you believe support that position.

Takes more effort I know.

This seems logical. My guess is IA will just move on after implementing a "new plan" with Ferentz still in charge. It will be interesting to watch play out.

Man with cause firings are pretty rare in CFB land....

Kirk having ignored this might be of the opinion that he didn't do anything wrong and he isn't going to take paycut to walk.

Also there is the issue of Brian who is named in this stuff

Kirk even if he left I would think would want his son there ... and Iowa is going to have a hard time claiming they did a thing if Brian is still around.

With everything else going on in the sporting world, and the world in general, Iowa might try to just let this slide and keep Kirk. He’s had success there and they don’t want to give him up unless they have to, and I think this story is flying under a smokescreen of the rest of world right now. Maybe I’ve missed it, but I don’t think there’s the public scrutiny that you would typically expect for a story like this (obviously have to disregard this board in that statement).

With everything else going on in the sporting world, and the world in general, Iowa might try to just let this slide and keep Kirk. He’s had success there and they don’t want to give him up unless they have to, and I think this story is flying under a smokescreen of the rest of world right now. Maybe I’ve missed it, but I don’t think there’s the public scrutiny that you would typically expect for a story like this (obviously have to disregard this board in that statement).
He has a ton of support from minority players, coaches and media.

Hmmmmm..... and yet the bar for calling so many others today "racist" is so much lower... Now that's odd

He has a ton of support from minority players, coaches and media.
This is a very late reply to a post from more than two months ago, but I just noticed it because the thread got bumped.

I attach almost no weight to the "ton of support" that you're referring to. I believe you're correct, but consider the following:

Minority players: Yes, but we're not talking one or two rogue players here. There have been a significant number of players who have commented through one medium or another about issues they faced at Iowa.

Coaches: Coaches rarely turn on each other. Good grief, look at Kyle Lindsted. He was allegedly choked by Marshall at Wichita State, and he has declined comment.

Media: I defy anyone to find a more sycophantic group than Iowa-based media.

Last edited:

For whatever reason Iowa can continue to recruit black players despite all this.

Imagine if Jason Stahl was a disgruntled Iowa history professor?

This is a very late reply to a post from more than two months ago, but I just noticed it because the thread got bumped.

I attach almost no weight to the "ton of support" that you're referring to. I believe you're correct, but consider the following:

Minority players: Yes, but we're not talking one or two rogue players here. There have been a significant number of players who have commented through one medium or another about issues they faced at Iowa.

Coaches: Coaches rarely turn on each other. Good grief, look at Kyle Lindsted. He was allegedly choked by Marshall at Wichita State, and he has declined comment.

Media: I defy anyone to find a more sycophantic group than Iowa-based media.
What is a significant number when we're talking about ~400+ players over 20 years?

What is a significant number when we're talking about ~400+ players over 20 years?
According to this article from June, the number was more than 50 players. I believe the number has gone up slightly since then. I guess we all have our own definition of significant.

For whatever reason Iowa can continue to recruit black players despite all this.
Playing in the P5 is the surest way to get to the NFL. That part of it, isn't going to change.

You haven’t walked the sideline or even been on a practice field. The first thing you learn in any coaching class is that you treat all kids fairly but not equally. Some kids have to run extra sprints for conditioning or work on special skills like extra points or extra sessions to improve long snaps. Not everyone goes through these extra sessions. Perhaps that is what happened at Iowa. All the supposedly racism at Iowa hasn’t hurt their recruiting.

Top Bottom