’18 Athletic Department Study Showed Serious Racial Bias in Iowa Football

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score

The overarching theme of their anonymous responses indicated that blacks needed to conform to white culture, according to the DTF report.

“The white student-athletes at Iowa are viewed as the standard that African-American student-athletes should strive to mold themselves after,” one student-athlete said in the report.

White student-athletes agreed with this statement and that particularly students from Iowa found it easier to fit the mold.” This “mold” was defined by students as “tough,” “hardworking,” “Iowa,” or “white.”

The most daming thing here is they had a report in 18 and did jack shit... and Kirk was saying he didn't know...

Sounds like testimonials, frankly, how people feel or view things doesn't make it a reality.

Sounds like testimonials, frankly, how people feel or view things doesn't make it a reality.
"Sorry Mrs. Smith, just because you feel that you were sexual harassed by management for slapping your ass, doesn't mean everyone else views it as that and doesn't make it reality. Please leave my office and report for your shift."

"Sorry Mrs. Smith, just because you feel that you were sexual harassed by management for slapping your ass, doesn't mean everyone else views it as that and doesn't make it reality. Please leave my office and report for your shift."
Yes, pretty much!

Please. Not at all what I was saying. I am simply stating feelings are not facts and facts drive reality. A person can rightfully or wrongly feel something, the facts determine if it is warranted. In your example the facts were she was slapped in the ass.

Please. Not at all what I was saying. I am simply stating feelings are not facts and facts drive reality. A person can rightfully or wrongly feel something, the facts determine if it is warranted. In your example the facts were she was slapped in the ass.

Right. You can't argue with that jackass. I've seen the GH report showing he's "ignored" by twice as many as the next closest poster. You can't make it up.

Says who?? Management says they didn’t do it.

Soubds like a testimonial to me.

Right. You can't argue with that jackass. I've seen the GH report showing he's "ignored" by twice as many as the next closest poster. You can't make it up.
Mostly by the extremist RW cancer that infects this message board, same as every other internet message board. Like you.

Very proud of that. If it’s not completely pulled out of your ass, where you store those fake “awards”. :ROFLMAO:

if you read the whole article, it becomes pretty clear about the Iowa attitude.

one player was quoted as saying that "players who are not from this region (i.e. not white) may not understand the meaning of hard work."

it's subtle, but the underlying message is that white players work harder and deal with discipline better than black players.

and while that might be true on an individual basis, this seems to have been a program-wide attitude.

But, Kirk responded to the report. He let players wear hoodies and earrings. What a guy.

How do the black players view themselves?
I'm guessing it was real for them. That should count for something.

That’s not necessarily racism or abuse, though. It could be, sure. These are young men, many are kids psychologically. Some of it could be whining. Some of the allegations seemed legitimately across the line, other things like dress codes, asking to turn down music, behavior stuff...not sure. We don’t know why the coaches may have targeted some players for discipline more than others. Just asking, but is it in the realm of possible some deserved it? We already know the Jersey running back doesn’t have his head screwed on right, for example. Kirk would probably like to say more about some of this stuff, but that wouldn’t help anyone if it’s a matter of cultures at odds. Round peg, square hole.

That’s not necessarily racism or abuse, though. It could be, sure. These are young men, many are kids psychologically. Some of it could be whining. Some of the allegations seemed legitimately across the line, other things like dress codes, asking to turn down music, behavior stuff...not sure. We don’t know why the coaches may have targeted some players for discipline more than others. Just asking, but is it in the realm of possible some deserved it? We already know the Jersey running back doesn’t have his head screwed on right, for example. Kirk would probably like to say more about some of this stuff, but that wouldn’t help anyone if it’s a matter of cultures at odds. Round peg, square hole.

I think if they anonymously interviewed a large enough sample and those were the results, it indicates a huge culture problem at the very least. Hard for me to say if it was racism without being there and witnessing it. Iowa has admitted they had a problem so I think in this case where there's smoke there's fire.

How do you find out how many people are ignoring someone? I know of one in my house that ignores me, but curious how you figure it out on here.

I will say this much Iowa has had many players that have made big plays for them. Many happen to be black. Sanders comes to mind. There is no way those players did not work their hind end off. Sounds like some of the staff may have got off bullying certain players.

Iowa, at minimum currently appears to have a culture problem. Negative culture is just as bad if not worse than individual locker room cancers. Some would argue that negative culture can create the individuals.

Mostly by the extremist RW cancer that infects this message board, same as every other internet message board. Like you.
**I think you misspelled intelligent people.**
I'm not normally a person who corrects people's spelling but this was a pretty big mistake.(just looking out for ya)😉😏

I will say this much Iowa has had many players that have made big plays for them. Many happen to be black. Sanders comes to mind. There is no way those players did not work their hind end off. Sounds like some of the staff may have got off bullying certain players.

Iowa, at minimum currently appears to have a culture problem. Negative culture is just as bad if not worse than individual locker room cancers. Some would argue that negative culture can create the individuals.

Interesting take. Is Iowa the only negative culture you can think of? What is an acceptable college football team culture, in your view?

I have no doubt some of the players feel like they weren't accepted or had to adapt to a different culture than they were accustomed to in high school. Some of the allegations do rise to culturally inappropriate levels. Some of them don’t, IMO.

I think if they anonymously interviewed a large enough sample and those were the results, it indicates a huge culture problem at the very least. Hard for me to say if it was racism without being there and witnessing it. Iowa has admitted they had a problem so I think in this case where there's smoke there's fire.

Maybe it was, but there is no evidence beyond the assertion the Iowa culture is more “white” - whatever that means (anyone want to grab that?) - and potentially increased drug testing or disciplinary differences but hard to say without more proof. I know this is way out there, but is it possible some players, particularly younger players need more discipline than others, and react negatively to the application of it? If norms, practices, rules of a culture cannot be enforced..not sure where we go. Not a fan of the anything goes concept. Ferentz sounds like and is a hardass. It’s his philosophy. Combine that with being far from home and I’m not that surprised to see a higher attrition rate. Im sure there are hard feelings in such an environment, no?

It is interesting that the 8/10 “whiners” are getting lots of press but I wonder if anyone has bothered to check with the other 300+ black football players to see if they were prevented from succeeding because of the culture? But then who really cares what happened in Iowa City, I don’t.

Interesting take. Is Iowa the only negative culture you can think of? What is an acceptable college football team culture, in your view?

I have no doubt some of the players feel like they weren't accepted or had to adapt to a different culture than they were accustomed to in high school. Some of the allegations do rise to culturally inappropriate levels. Some of them don’t, IMO.
Before we start this exchange, have you played a down of organized football? Just want to know where to start. BTW This has little to do with race it has to do with team inclusion and team unity.

Before we start this exchange, have you played a down of organized football? Just want to know where to start. BTW This has little to do with race it has to do with team inclusion and team unity.

Yes...

Go on.

Top Bottom