‘This sets me up for greatness’: Shippensburg’s Anthony Smith signs with Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Linder:

He plans to study international marketing at Minnesota and imagines himself traveling around the world to strike up deals with different companies whenever that day comes. But, while this all may still be a little surreal for Anthony Smith, he is starting to understand exactly where it all could go.

And he is hoping the international marketing can wait a few years.

“I think the goal is to play in the NFL, and I think this sets that up,” he said. “I know what I want to do, and I know if I want to do it, grinding it out in the Big Ten with Minnesota is going to help me get there.

“This sets me up for greatness.”

Go Gophers!!

I love his confidence, but he's, what... 18 years old?

He's setting his goals really high, which is good. I hope he understands how much hard work and dedication lies ahead in order to achieve greatness. I bet he does understand... and, if not, he'll find out soon enough.

Also: it's good to have some team-oriented goals, too. "This sets ME up for greatness".

F.A.M.I.L.Y.:

Forget About ME, I Love You... am I right?

He has things figured out way more than I did coming out of high school. No doubt he's going to be successful whatever he goes into. I think he's going to end up being one of the best DL we've ever had here.
This is what I love about new recruits. Every fan seems to have that one recruit who they feel will be a stud!! So much fun to watch them gRow!

He's setting his goals really high, which is good. I hope he understands how much hard work and dedication lies ahead in order to achieve greatness. I bet he does understand... and, if not, he'll find out soon enough.

Also: it's good to have some team-oriented goals, too. "This sets ME up for greatness".

F.A.M.I.L.Y.:

I doubt that he’s not a team player. We wouldn’t have taken him. Just because someone is individually confident doesn’t mean they can’t be phenomenal teammates. In reality, I believe self-confident people make the best teammates because they aren’t compensating for self-doubt in the way they interact with others. People who don’t share knowledge internally because they are afraid of losing value is something I’ve encountered a lot in my corporate journey.

per Linder:

He plans to study international marketing at Minnesota and imagines himself traveling around the world to strike up deals with different companies whenever that day comes. But, while this all may still be a little surreal for Anthony Smith, he is starting to understand exactly where it all could go.

And he is hoping the international marketing can wait a few years.

“I think the goal is to play in the NFL, and I think this sets that up,” he said. “I know what I want to do, and I know if I want to do it, grinding it out in the Big Ten with Minnesota is going to help me get there.

“This sets me up for greatness.”

Go Gophers!!
Already the mindset of an ELITE Leader.
Captain, my captain, as a Sophomore or Senior?
I wouldn’t bet against him being a 4 year starter either🥇🤩🎉

Last edited:

F.A.M.I.L.Y.:

Really? You get a kid that really understands his priorities and has goals for his future beyond football and you slam him from being to ambitious and be selfish? Lol….

I like how his 247 profile pic is him playing basketball. Sign of a true athlete

Kudos to an ambitious kid. Screw the detractors. To quote a famous personality (and oft used intro clip on a local radio show):

“Why should anyone aspire to be a common man, an average man? Do you realize what it means to be average? That means you’re the best of the lousiest…and the lousiest of the best. Now, if we demand more and more for producing less and less, while the have-not nations encourage, and inspire, and indeed require hard work and maximum effort – if we deify the common man while they encourage and reward the uncommon ones – well, the end result of such a lopsided race as that is too obvious to require elaboration.”

-Paul Harvey

This guy is in shape and clearly takes care of his body. Looking forward to seeing him on the football field.

He has his head screwed in straight, a smart kid looking at life beyond football. Gopher Football fits him like a glove.

He may end up taking a detour to Pro Football first.

Top Bottom