rumor mill.......jd speilman

If he is in fact a project, that seems like even more reason to compare him to Johnson. Johnson didn't even play WR in HS.

From that standpoint he is a lot like Johnson but pretty sure that is not what the poster was getting at since they referenced Mann's highlights reminding them of Johnson in the way he plays.

In Mann's defense, he does not have much to work with at the QB position and defenses paid a lot of attention to him. He got better at it as the year went on but struggles to adjust his route and go get the ball. He also has a tendency to take plays off when the ball is not coming his way, shows very little effort in blocking much of the time. That won't fly at the college level.

Will be very curious to see how he develops at the U. The raw ability is there, but he didn't dominate MN level DBs the way you would hope an elite D1 WR would. Great kid with a lot of talent, can see why the U offered him, just hope he can find a way to capitalize on his talent at the college level. Will be surprised if we see him on the field early in his college career.

From that standpoint he is a lot like Johnson but pretty sure that is not what the poster was getting at since they referenced Mann's highlights reminding them of Johnson in the way he plays.

In Mann's defense, he does not have much to work with at the QB position and defenses paid a lot of attention to him. He got better at it as the year went on but struggles to adjust his route and go get the ball. He also has a tendency to take plays off when the ball is not coming his way, shows very little effort in blocking much of the time. That won't fly at the college level.

Will be very curious to see how he develops at the U. The raw ability is there, but he didn't dominate MN level DBs the way you would hope an elite D1 WR would. Great kid with a lot of talent, can see why the U offered him, just hope he can find a way to capitalize on his talent at the college level. Will be surprised if we see him on the field early in his college career.

In Simon and Fleck I trust as far as WR development. It's one of if not the easiest position to learn in football in my opinion. If Mann can handle it, he'll blossom, if not we will recruit over him.

As far as JD, if he wants in, you let him. If not we are fine. Wouldn't necessarily need to be on scholarship either as his family can afford tuition. They will make what the feel is the best choice for JD. I can't imagine why anyone would dislike Frost though...

Does anyone really remember any high profile position transfers ... within a division before?

Doesn't happen often that I can think of. Maybe some previously highly rated croot who isn't getting playing time transfers here or there but rarely a high profile transfer like that.

If he doesn't go pro, Minnesota is logical for him just so his folks can watch all his home games more conveniently. Makes total sense if PJ thinks it's a fit, which isn't a slam dunk.

Plus, if he thinks Frost is an a__hole and thinks his program isn't working, whereas Fleck is not only a great coach, running a great program, but he (and Simon) are clearly great at developing WRs. Seems like a lot of wins there, for Speil.

Does anyone really remember any high profile position transfers ... within a division before?

Doesn't happen often that I can think of. Maybe some previously highly rated croot who isn't getting playing time transfers here or there but rarely a high profile transfer like that.

Van Jefferson transferred from Ole Miss to Florida. There were a couple of players (non-position players) who transferred from Alabama to Georgia and Tennessee. I only remember those because Saban got a lot of flack for trying to block them.

A lot of the conferences passed their own rules against intraconference grad transferring/transferring, but most of those have gone away in the last couple of years.

I wouldn't be so sure that the Big Ten doesn't still have rules on the books about requiring a year of no competition for transfers within the conference. Perhaps Grad Transfers can bypass the rule, if it exists. Obviously waivers can be given ... perhaps he can claim that he needs to be closer to family. Seems to be a popular way that bball players get waivers to play right away.

I wouldn't be so sure that the Big Ten doesn't still have rules on the books about requiring a year of no competition for transfers within the conference. Perhaps Grad Transfers can bypass the rule, if it exists. Obviously waivers can be given ... perhaps he can claim that he needs to be closer to family. Seems to be a popular way that bball players get waivers to play right away.

We're talking about grad transfers, non-grad transfers have to sit out.

Your dismissal of JD and how we “don’t need him” is silly. I suspect you have never watched him play. Better players make the team better. Pretty straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You suspect I’ve never watched him play? I’ve seen him play every game he’s had against the Gophers, and I’ve watched him on tv against Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, and Purdue. I’ve seen plenty. I suspect he’s more of a selfish, “all about me” player. I have no interest in him here. Self-serving players don’t make a team better, even if they are they best one on the team.

I guess it depends whether you count Kim Royston as "high profile," but I would. He played a lot at wisconsin and was one of our better defensive players. He was honorable mention All-Big Ten his senior year.

Yeah me too. I say screw Spielman if the rumor on the street is true. He had other chances to come here. he could have committed originally and could have transferred before. But he wants to come our way now that we look dominant and Nebbie looks like garbage, no thanks. You don’t get to act like a Lebron James and come to whatever school seems like it’s hot enough for you. I personally don’t want someone that will only come to us when the gettin is good. It’s disrespectful to the guys that had to grind it out through the bad seasons. And he could have been here to help us be better in those bad years, but he didn’t want to. He was happy to see us suck when he thought Nebbie was the up and comer.

Our great season is likely going to get our foot in the door with some recruits that we otherwise wouldn't have gotten. Should we not recruit those guys?

Sends a bad message? What would that be?

Principle? Insulting? Hand me down? You realize we have other grad transfers on our team now right? You do see the trend of grad transfers in CFB, right?

Please. This is ridiculous.

I do realize we have other grad transfers, you must have missed the part where I say when I’m fine with a grad transfer and when I’m not. I think I’ve made it pretty clear why I don’t like it. And I’ve made it clear how it’s insulting in my eyes. You have guys that chose Minnesota from the beginning, picked here over the school that sounded better. They wanted to make their home school into something more. Then you have Spielman, who left here for what he thought were greener pastures. Now he wants to come back when we’re 9-1 and Nebbie is floundering? No thanks.

Grad Transfers don't have to sit out. St-Juste transferred from Michigan and was immediately eligible to play this season.

Our great season is likely going to get our foot in the door with some recruits that we otherwise wouldn't have gotten. Should we not recruit those guys?

You missed my point, by a long shot. Never said anything about future recruiting. I’m talking about a grad transfer that missed his shot to be part of what’s happening here, to play for the Huskers that are not good right now. Recruits that wanna come here out of high school have nothing to do with my point. Don’t know where you’re drawing that comment from

I doubt there are rules specific to being a transfer within the division, as opposed to just the conference.

So with that in mind, how about our very own St-Juste, now a starting DB? Not sure if that is "high profile", but that wouldn't matter per the rules.

He redshirted in 2018 at Michigan. But he was at Michigan, on the team, last year. So that might be the only wrinkle ... but would seem to show that, at least for grad transfers, it is possible to play in the same year when transferring within the conference.

Unless he had to get a waiver, I don't know if that was the case.

You suspect I’ve never watched him play? I’ve seen him play every game he’s had against the Gophers, and I’ve watched him on tv against Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, and Purdue. I’ve seen plenty. I suspect he’s more of a selfish, “all about me” player. I have no interest in him here. Self-serving players don’t make a team better, even if they are they best one on the team.

What are you basing that on?

I do realize we have other grad transfers, you must have missed the part where I say when I’m fine with a grad transfer and when I’m not. I think I’ve made it pretty clear why I don’t like it. And I’ve made it clear how it’s insulting in my eyes. You have guys that chose Minnesota from the beginning, picked here over the school that sounded better. They wanted to make their home school into something more. Then you have Spielman, who left here for what he thought were greener pastures. Now he wants to come back when we’re 9-1 and Nebbie is floundering? No thanks.

We know he left for greener pastures? Maybe he didn't want to be in the same town in case his dad got canned by the Vikings. Maybe he wasn't being given as much love by Kill/Claeys as other were. Maybe he liked Riley and saw a defined role with Nebraska.

Now he's possibly graduating and maybe doesn't want to go pro yet. His family doesn't need the money, he can advance his education, and maybe he sees Fleck's Culture in the Twin Cities a good fit.

My memory could be foggy, but I don't think we recruited Spielman. If we did, it was late. We weren't in on him early for sure.

My memory could be foggy, but I don't think we recruited Spielman. If we did, it was late. We weren't in on him early for sure.

We offered him a scholarship.

We offered before he ever even visited Nebraska. He never had an official offer from them either, he had two unofficial visits and then committed to them.

G4L?

Speilman committed to Nebraska well before the Fleck was at Minnesota. IF he wants to come back here and the Gopher staff feels like it would be a good fit for the program it would be absolutely moronic to not bring him into the fold. It is not one bit "insulting".

He "betrayed" Minnesota?!? That's way over the top.

Over 80 posts in 3 hours, but what's the source for this? Is it credible at all or just someone pulling a Charley Walters?

You missed my point, by a long shot. Never said anything about future recruiting. I’m talking about a grad transfer that missed his shot to be part of what’s happening here, to play for the Huskers that are not good right now. Recruits that wanna come here out of high school have nothing to do with my point. Don’t know where you’re drawing that comment from

You said "I personally don’t want someone that will only come to us when the gettin is good". That makes it sound like if a 2020 or 2021 recruit was leaning toward another school, but then changed their mind once they saw us in the playoff conversation, you wouldn't want them. Not saying you actually feel that way, but that's how the quote sounds.

I know you were specifically talking about transfers, but just wanted to point out that no one applies that logic to recruits, so maybe it's not fair to apply that logic to transfers either.

Last edited:

I don't really get the whole sect of people saying he thumbed his nose at MN by not coming here. He was recruited predominantly by the previous staff who had a different system and different mantra.

Skimmed through the Nebraska page and it just seems like a bunch of dorks like us speculating that he will be leaving...didn't look like there was anyone with any credible info on it unless I missed something

Skimmed through the Nebraska page and it just seems like a bunch of dorks like us speculating that he will be leaving...didn't look like there was anyone with any credible info on it unless I missed something

1. Yeah there's nothing credible.

2. There is an ongoing storyline at Nebraska of older players just not seeing eye to eye with Frost and talk of guys moving on. Frost's own comments lend credibility to that to some extent ... but of course nothing that is specific to this situation let alone where anyone would go.

Top Bottom