rumor mill.......jd speilman

Also to everyone who thinks we can't let Minnesotans like JD use MN as a fall back or second chance school, I assume you guys are also opposed that Seth Green is on the team as he was an Oregon QB commit and only committed here when they switched their offer to TE/athlete.

I'd also assume you guys hated it when Trevor Mbakwe led the Big Ten in double doubles after he transferred here from Marquette.

I hope this rumor is true. Would love to have his speed and play making ability.

On Ryan Burn’s Gopher Gridiron Northwestern Recap podcast he alluded to a Big Ten West WR transfer. Said that scholarship spots were very tight and that the whole class is very fluid. Targets that weren’t interested before are interested now. Fleck doesn’t typically like 1 year transfers. It will be interesting to see how everything wraps up next month.

Why would he transfer when he could play in the NFL?
It depends if he could improve his draft stock by staying one more year. 6th rounder this year is far different than a 2nd rounder next year. Its not like his dad won't be able to have the scouts advise him.

I don't see us picking him up purely because he'd be a one-year deal. Yes he's a great player, but he's coming from a different culture (Frost versus Fleck). Fleck has said it many times, that the senior players are now becoming coaches that influence the new players on culture, Speilman would not fit that perspective. I'm not saying he's not a team player (hmm, double negative there...), but he's not immersed in Fleck's team culture (okay, triple negative, you figure it out...). Not taking him also further reinforces to current potential recruits that you need to commit as a Freshman versus coming on board later (quadruple negative...). All told, I think Speilman "missed the boat" on being a Gopher.

On Ryan Burn’s Gopher Gridiron Northwestern Recap podcast he alluded to a Big Ten West WR transfer. Said that scholarship spots were very tight and that the whole class is very fluid. Targets that weren’t interested before are interested now. Fleck doesn’t typically like 1 year transfers. It will be interesting to see how everything wraps up next month.

His Dad has made millions, he could walk on for a year!

I would take him just for punt and KO Returns. on the last sp+ ratings, the Gophers were 93rd in special teams. Plus, with Johnson Graduating, Bateman will face a lot of double-teams next year. Adding a WR like Spielman could prevent teams from rolling all their coverage toward Bateman. Nothing against CAB or Douglas, but they seem like more of complimentary receivers.

Do the people who wouldn't take Spielman think we shouldn't take those guys either since they weren't on board from the start?

I’d take him in a heartbeat. We need a better punt/kick returner. Can we get him here before this Saturday’s game?

I'd take him in a heart beat. Previous coaches screwed up as to what I'm hearing (he wanted to play WR while the coaches wanted him to play DB).

It certainly wouldn’t hurt the messaging to current and future in-state recruits...”here’s a guy that went elsewhere, wished he hadn’t,
and, came back home”. Could maybe/hopefully add on “and, look at the year he had!”

I would take him just for punt and KO Returns. on the last sp+ ratings, the Gophers were 93rd in special teams. Plus, with Johnson Graduating, Bateman will face a lot of double-teams next year. Adding a WR like Spielman could prevent teams from rolling all their coverage toward Bateman. Nothing against CAB or Douglas, but they seem like more of complimentary receivers.

I think CAB can be a top end guy. I’m excited to see what we have in Nnamdi.

I think it counts against the 85 but not the 25
Yes I think that's correct. Our "Maroon Shirts"/PWO can now receive a scholarship after the first year and it doesn't count against the 25 class limit.

I'd take him in a heart beat. Previous coaches screwed up as to what I'm hearing (he wanted to play WR while the coaches wanted him to play DB).

As others have mentioned, as long as there are no attitude red flags you welcome him back home with open arms. Kid is a very talented football player and you can never have too much depth at the skill positions.

If it is just to annoy Wisconsin with an added headache...

If he were to transfer ANYWHERE, it would never be for return duty only....

Does he graduate in Dec? Can he come in January and take part in Spring ball? That would certainly help with culture training.

Also to everyone who thinks we can't let Minnesotans like JD use MN as a fall back or second chance school, I assume you guys are also opposed that Seth Green is on the team as he was an Oregon QB commit and only committed here when they switched their offer to TE/athlete.

I'd also assume you guys hated it when Trevor Mbakwe led the Big Ten in double doubles after he transferred here from Marquette.

huge leap from getting guys for more than one year instead of a guy for a 1 year stint Green had his full eligibility Trevor had several years.
I don't think I would take him with a scholarship those are too important for the growth of the team. As a walk on, sure bring him on and Row

Bring him on. We need that kind of talent on the scout team to prep for the CFP.

If he wants to come here, I say let him. He'd definitely get game time, and possibly be one of the starting WRs. Plus, with his experience at returning we get some added competition there. Plus it increases our chance of getting to redshirt the 4 star WR in our upcoming class which would be a big plus in the eyes of PJ I think. Bateman would have redshirted his freshman year if we had had more WR talent IMO.

huge leap from getting guys for more than one year instead of a guy for a 1 year stint Green had his full eligibility Trevor had several years.
I don't think I would take him with a scholarship those are too important for the growth of the team. As a walk on, sure bring him on and Row
What? I don't get it.

When you take a generic high school recruit, you hope he can eventually become a starter or at least a contributor. If he does then it's not a wasted scholarship. There is a very slim chance that that high school recruit will develop into an All Big Ten or All American player and NFL guy. If he does, it will usually be only for one year.

Why take a chance on another high school kid that may or may not develop into even a starter when you can get a guy (well JD probably isn't coming here but if he wanted to) who already will be a 3 time All Big Ten player and All American returner?

I mean who are we going to take with that scholarship that would be better than JD?

Where exactly in the podcast did he say this?

I didn't hear it in the beginning or end but don't want to listen otherwise.

Top Bottom