Morgan being evaluated for a possible concussion.

I don't really get the debate on this. It's not a sprained ankle or a sore shoulder where there are degrees to how recovered the player is, all of which can technically be played through based on a judgement call. Either he's symptom free through all the stages of the protocol and cleared by the med. staff by the end of the week and he obviously plays, or he's not, and he doesn't.

There is some concern that it is easier to sustain a second concussion after getting a first, often with worse symptoms. So, some might be very cautious to have him play given that increased risk, even if he is cleared from the protocol.

I said meaningful reps. That's not during garbage time.

And the point wasn't about making them better per se, but rather to give us an idea about what % of dropoff to expect from Morgan.

If it's a 30-50% dropoff ... then holy cow we need to completely revamp the gameplan.
But if it's only a 10% dropff, then we can still mostly do what we've been doing.
Yep, because that's the important aspect of this. The coaches should have let us, the fans on a free message board, know what to expect in regards to how much of a dropoff to expect with Morgan on the sidelines. Cool.

Yep, because that's the important aspect of this. The coaches should have let us, the fans on a free message board, know what to expect in regards to how much of a dropoff to expect with Morgan on the sidelines. Cool.
Why did you feel compelled to type this out and post it? This adds literally nothing to the discussion here.

There is some concern that it is easier to sustain a second concussion after getting a first, often with worse symptoms. So, some might be very cautious to have him play given that increased risk, even if he is cleared from the protocol.
Correct, 100%.

At least someone understands this. You rush a player back too early, even if they clear the protocol, there absolutely is an increased chance of suffering a second, and it could be worse. The only surefire way to decrease that chance, is to allow a chance for the brain to rest and fully recover.

Now you can certainly argue that taking a week off (no practice this week) vs two weeks off (rest for NW, but play Wisc) won't matter. That is valid, and I can't refute it.

I don't really get the debate on this. It's not a sprained ankle or a sore shoulder where there are degrees to how recovered the player is, all of which can technically be played through based on a judgement call. Either he's symptom free through all the stages of the protocol and cleared by the med. staff by the end of the week and he obviously plays, or he's not, and he doesn't.

Yes, you most certainly can recover to 'degrees', from concussion.
No, it isn't binary.

The staff should hold him out regardless of whether he is medically cleared.
Tua was medically cleared and running around hobbled ended up with one of the most devastating injuries an athlete can suffer.

It makes no sense to throw someone with a brain injury out on the field before the full 10 day recovery period is up.

The Gophers should win this game without him, and if they lose because of that then I don't care.

He's going to be here for at least 2 more years. Missing one game to make sure he doesn't re-injure himself is more than worth it.

I'm not really interested in a semantics argument over the "correct" definition of meaningful vs garbage.

My point is pretty clear. It would be nice to have a good understanding what kind of dropoff we can expect, in games.

Why do the coaches care if we know what kind of drop-off to expect? They get reps every single day in front of the coaches. I'm guessing the coaches know. You not knowing doesn't matter.

Why did you feel compelled to type this out and post it? This adds literally nothing to the discussion here.
I'm sorry. I'll ask for your permission next time, bud.

I posted because your argument said they should have played Kramer or Clark more so we/us would know what kind of drop-off to expect compared to Tanner. The only thing more ridiculous than my response, was your post.

It makes no sense to throw someone with a brain injury out on the field before the full 10 day recovery period is up.

The Gophers should win this game without him, and if they lose because of that then I don't care.

He's going to be here for at least 2 more years. Missing one game to make sure he doesn't re-injure himself is more than worth it.

Especially at the quarterback position. Residual brain fog leads to slower reaction times ---> slower progression through reads --> more prone to costly errors/turnovers. I am in favor of sitting TM2 until he is back to baseline.

No, it isn't binary.

Tua was medically cleared and running around hobbled ended up with one of the most devastating injuries an athlete can suffer.

And for those of you w/ absolutely no pattern recognition ability, here you go:

^ If this happens to him. I will be angry.

Why do the coaches care if we know what kind of drop-off to expect? They get reps every single day in front of the coaches. I'm guessing the coaches know. You not knowing doesn't matter.
I'm sorry. I'll ask for your permission next time, bud.

I posted because your argument said they should have played Kramer or Clark more so we/us would know what kind of drop-off to expect compared to Tanner. The only thing more ridiculous than my response, was your post.

I don't believe you guys are really obtuse enough to think that I literally meant "us", the fans. "The ROYAL We!!"

Come on.

Especially at the quarterback position. Residual brain fog leads to slower reaction times ---> slower progression through reads --> more prone to costly errors/turnovers. I am in favor of sitting TM2 until he is back to baseline.

Huh? Are you thinking they would clear him to play if he was not back to baseline? That seems pretty unlikely to me but I am not a Dr. or trainer.

Huh? Are you thinking they would clear him to play if he was not back to baseline? That seems pretty unlikely to me but I am not a Dr. or trainer.

I mean that I hope that he is truly back to baseline when he is deemed, "medically clear."

No, it isn't binary.

Stupid. If he's cleared to play, he should play. The Tua comparison is asinine. Post less often

Conjecture, I don't have inside info on his surgery, but that was certainly an injury that could end his career.

The broader point was that he suffered a critical injury while playing through a minor injury which I think everyone is starting to realize is far more common than we used to think, and he suffered that injury playing in a game that Alabama would have probably won without him.

I would prefer to see Morgan held out of a non-critical game to give him extra time to recover, especially because concussions can recur.

This is far from rigorous but as an anecdote:
"Of the 12 within-season repeat concussions, 92% occurred within 10 days of the first injury, and 75% occurred within seven days of the first injury."

Bringing him back in one week is right on the line. Makes more sense to just hold him out for a few more days, and let a new player get some reps.

If the rest of this team cannot win against Northwestern without him then they weren't going to the playoffs anyway.
So you just make crap up to fit your narrative- good to know. There is no changing it to “the broader point” when what you write is a complete fallacy. I can ignore everything you post here on out because my “conjecture” is reading your posts causes brain cancer.

Stupid. If he's cleared to play, he should play. The Tua comparison is asinine. Post less often

Okay, about about the Tennessee QB comparison right below that then?
Or are you just gonna cherry pick stats that allow you to be cool with putting an injured kid out on a field so you might get to go to Pasadena?

So you just make crap up to fit your narrative- good to know. There is no changing it to “the broader point” when what you write is a complete fallacy. I can ignore everything you post here on out because my “conjecture” is reading your posts causes brain cancer.
Then ignore it. There's a button. Doesn't change my opinion. He should not play this week.
And if Minnesota's medical staff decides to ignore studies that say that 90% of recurrences happen when players come back within 10 days and he gets reinjured then they should be held accountable. And they will be rightly blasted by Twin Cities media.

Then ignore it. There's a button. Doesn't change my opinion. He should not play this week.

Should play this week. Your opinions are bad. Just stop.

Also, you're posting a lot. I notice you don't donate to the site. Please consider doing so.

Should play this week. Your opinions are bad. Just stop.
Should not play this week.

But at least I respect the right for you to have an opinion. You don't have the respect for the right to free speech, so cheerished by this country. That is shameful.

Should not play this week.

But at least I respect the right for you to have an opinion. You don't have the respect for the right to free speech, so cheerished by this country. That is shameful.

Haha. I notice you post incessantly and haven't donated to the site as well. C'mon man, pony up a few bucks for this great site.

Haha. I notice you post incessantly and haven't donated to the site as well. C'mon man, pony up a few bucks for this great site.
Neither do a lot of people. Which is just fine, as this site is ad-supported.
If you want to donate, to remove the ads, that is your optional choice.
Irrelevant.

I suggest you start supporting the right for other posters to have an opinion, and not suggest they leave simply because you don't like their opinions. Something to think about!

He won't play this week if he doesn't pass the concussion return to play protocol, and he will play if he does (in my opinion). Most, if not all, concussion protocols (I don't know exactly what the U of M's is but would assume it's very similar) are predicated on becoming symptom free at rest, then remaining symptom free thru a progressively more intense set of workouts on consecutive days. If someone has no symptoms with all of these, there really isn't any reason to hold them out anymore. They also usually do some sort of reaction time/brain testing, such as "Impact" testing, both at baseline pre-season, and after a concussion as a comparison to ensure that they aren't "mentally foggy".

And if Minnesota's medical staff decides to ignore studies that say that 90% of recurrences happen when players come back within 10 days and he gets reinjured then they should be held accountable. And they will be rightly blasted by Twin Cities media.
Genuinely interested in that study as I’ve never seen data behind any set amount of time. I’ve seen data to convince me that concussion 1 causes an increased chance of concussion 2, particularly when one comes back without being “ready”. I’m just not familiar with any criteria for “ready” (1 week, 1 month, 1 year, etc.) beyond the protocol.

All that coming from someone who is assuming he’ll be out this week. On the other hand, let’s hope for all he was never even actually diagnosed with a concussion, which is still actually a possibility based on the vagueness of information.

They aren't going to release that, publicly. I mean, whether Morgan actually did suffer a concussion against Iowa, or not. Fleck wants information about his players' condition, under as tight of wraps as allowed.

They put him in the protocol, to be safe. Which is the correct decision, IMO.

I would bet $10 he will be the starter this week.

I don't believe you guys are really obtuse enough to think that I literally meant "us", the fans. "The ROYAL We!!"

Come on.
I would have to imagine us, meaning the team/coaching staff, has seen enough in all the practices to know the drop-off from Tanner. Maybe it's because of a significant drop-off that we (meaning fans and posters) have seen so little from the freshmen this season.

I would have to imagine us, meaning the team/coaching staff, has seen enough in all the practices to know the drop-off from Tanner. Maybe it's because of a significant drop-off that we (meaning fans and posters) have seen so little from the freshmen this season.
That is a valid opinion. My reasoning, which I was thinking of in my original post but didn’t state, is that sometimes guys play different in games than practice. Apparently, that was the reason Annexstad started over Morgan. But Morgan is a big time player in the games, as we all know.

Tua was injured because he didn't release the ball quickly enough and got drilled by two very large men. His ankle had literally nothing to do with it.

It's funny how you say that "everything I post is wrong" and yet you post more bizarre and fallacious non-sequiturs than anyone on the board

Does Kill or Fleck handle concussion protocols better?

I love how sure some are as to whether he should or should not start when they have zero information as to how he is actually doing.

If he is symptom free, feeling good and has had enough time to get ready for the game I would bet they will play him. If things are lingering or he doesn't get cleared until late in the week he will probably be out or serve as an emergency backup.

In spite of how sure some in here are as to his exact condition, I plan to just wait until we have some actual information before I declare what I think is best for Tanner. :)

Top Bottom