Morgan being evaluated for a possible concussion.

Wouldn't it have been nice if either Clark or Kramer would have been able to run the entire offense in one of those earlier games when we had a big lead heading into the 4th quarter, rather than just turning and handing off for most of the time.

Wouldn't it have been nice if either Clark or Kramer would have been able to run the entire offense in one of those earlier games when we had a big lead heading into the 4th quarter, rather than just turning and handing off for most of the time.

Most of what time? The total time has not been 10 minutes and Clark threw a 35 pass down to the goal line. Perhaps you are young but those of us that have seen a lot of games know that 21 point lead is not enough in the modern game.

FWIW - last year, the coaches were willing to start a true FR at QB in Annexstad. by this point of the season, Kramer and Clark have more experience than Annexstad had when he started the opener in 2018.

Willing? Well, that’s one way to describe it. Of course the alternative was to forfeit games.

FWIW - last year, the coaches were willing to start a true FR at QB in Annexstad. by this point of the season, Kramer and Clark have more experience than Annexstad had when he started the opener in 2018.
If Morgan can't go, I will play a hunch and bet that Kramer starts. Clark may have the better arm or be a better 'pure' passer, but Kramer is supposed to be very smart and - I suspect - may be a little better at running the offense without getting flustered.
And - if it is a backup, bet that Fitz will throw every blitz and stunt he can think of at the Gophs. that may open up opportunities to hit some passes - IF the O-line gives the QB time to operate.

True. How many Big Ten games did the true freshman QB win? It’s a potential trainwreck.

I hope the Gophers don't play him this week. They should be able to win this game w/o him, and after watching how Tua's ankle turned into a career ending injury, I would rather see the Gophers just hold him out for the extra week.

Most of what time? The total time has not been 10 minutes and Clark threw a 35 pass down to the goal line. Perhaps you are young but those of us that have seen a lot of games know that 21 point lead is not enough in the modern game.
I’m not young and have seen many things in football, as a fan, a coach and player back in my HS days.
The problem now is Neither has had enough game time and when they did get a little time they were not running the entire offense.
The Maryland game was 38 3 at the start of the 4th. Morgan led them on a long scoring drive. Then Clark took over for the last scoring drive. At 38 3 Clark could have played the whole quarter instead of padding Morgan’s stats.
And at Rutgers it was a 21 point lead to start the 4th. TM lead 2 TD drives in 4th. The second one when the score was 35 0 and he threw a deep pass to Tyler. That would have been a perfect time to get Kramer to run full offense game reps for an entire quarter. Not at 45 0 when all he’s doing is handing it off.

Willing? Well, that’s one way to describe it. Of course the alternative was to forfeit games.

Willing to start a true FR - when they had a RS FR available - Morgan is a year older than Annexstad and had a year's experience in the system - and yet, the coaches chose to start Annexstad. The alternative to Annexstad was not "to forfeit games." The alternative to Annexstad was Morgan. You may of heard of him. He's played a little bit this year.

I'm a bit worried about this "We'll just run a lot" concept.

Every time (including OOC games) we've chosen to deliberately just run a bunch teams seemed to have no problems stopping a run first approach.

Granted it is Northwestern and I'd love to just run out a win, I'm just worried that this team is really pass first and any effort to run a lot will result in a lot of stalle drives.

That turns it into a game where a turnover could be the difference. A slant pass just a little behind the receiver could end up being six the other way.

We haven’t seen enough from either freshman to know whether they can be trusted to throw much. On that basis, I’ll predict Kramer will get the start and run the ball a lot.

Plus, if there's any chance of Morgan missing the Wisconsin game, it would be best to run as much of the offense as possible against Northwestern. Pick one of the freshmen and let him gain maximum experience when there's probably some extra margin of error to work with.

I hope the Gophers don't play him this week. They should be able to win this game w/o him, and after watching how Tua's ankle turned into a career ending injury, I would rather see the Gophers just hold him out for the extra week.
Don’t know of reports confirming it’s career ending because of induction of femoral head necrosis. Did you see something regarding that?

Once an athlete is symptom free for 24 hours the standard return to play protocol is:
Day 1: Light bike with standard computer test like impact, need to be at baseline to be cleared, large schools may have multiple of these tests
Day 2: harder bike
Day 3: running/agility/weights
Day 4: non-contract practice
Day 5: full practice
A couple of the days can be combined if you weren't sure it was an actual concussion.

In Morgan's case if he was held out as a precaution and placed in protocol to be safe, which is a possibility on what Fleck has said, he would not be practicing yet but would be ready for game Saturday. As others have said every case is very different, so we will see Saturday.

Don’t know of reports confirming it’s career ending because of induction of femoral head necrosis. Did you see something regarding that?

Conjecture, I don't have inside info on his surgery, but that was certainly an injury that could end his career.

The broader point was that he suffered a critical injury while playing through a minor injury which I think everyone is starting to realize is far more common than we used to think, and he suffered that injury playing in a game that Alabama would have probably won without him.

I would prefer to see Morgan held out of a non-critical game to give him extra time to recover, especially because concussions can recur.

This is far from rigorous but as an anecdote:
"Of the 12 within-season repeat concussions, 92% occurred within 10 days of the first injury, and 75% occurred within seven days of the first injury."

Bringing him back in one week is right on the line. Makes more sense to just hold him out for a few more days, and let a new player get some reps.

If the rest of this team cannot win against Northwestern without him then they weren't going to the playoffs anyway.

His ankle turned into a hip injury? And it's career-ending? Do you just make this stuff up to get a rise out of people, or do you live in bizarro world?
I'm pretty sure that Morgan's concussion won't turn into a "career-ending" hip injury, so we're safe there.

Willing to start a true FR - when they had a RS FR available - Morgan is a year older than Annexstad and had a year's experience in the system - and yet, the coaches chose to start Annexstad. The alternative to Annexstad was not "to forfeit games." The alternative to Annexstad was Morgan. You may of heard of him. He's played a little bit this year.
OK Son, I missed the “true” part of your statement and read it as “Freshman”. I did hear this Morgan guy’s name mentioned once.

Once an athlete is symptom free for 24 hours the standard return to play protocol is:
Day 1: Light bike with standard computer test like impact, need to be at baseline to be cleared, large schools may have multiple of these tests
Day 2: harder bike
Day 3: running/agility/weights
Day 4: non-contract practice
Day 5: full practice
A couple of the days can be combined if you weren't sure it was an actual concussion.

In Morgan's case if he was held out as a precaution and placed in protocol to be safe, which is a possibility on what Fleck has said, he would not be practicing yet but would be ready for game Saturday. As others have said every case is very different, so we will see Saturday.
And if Morgan is cleared to play at NW, then suffers a concussion there, because he came back too early, and that knocks him out of the Wisconsin game .... the staff will absolutely be to blame.

Play Kramer. To hell with his redshirt. Run the regular offense. Let him get experience.

Let Morgan rest up for Wisconsin.

Jiminy Cricket, if *I* can get this right, they should be able to figure it out!

If Morgan is cleared to play at NW, he should play every snap. We are in the midst of a historic season and need victory. I speak for 97% of fans and players.

I hope Tanner is ready to go. I am very much not in the camp of the people that think this is an easy win with or without him. Without Tanner, I am very very uneasy about this game.

I hope Tanner is ready to go. I am very much not in the camp of the people that think this is an easy win with or without him. Without Tanner, I am very very uneasy about this game.

Agreed on the not-an-easy-win part. Northwestern played Wisconsin, Nebraska and Purdue to the wire. The defense is still mid-pack in the BG10 statistically even with a terrible offense that doesn't help at all. If the Gophers turn the ball over, or if Northwestern somehow gets a lead on the Gophers with a backup QB, it will be an ugly slugfest. Regardless, I still wouldn't want Morgan to play if he hasn't cleared the tests with flying colors.

I don't really get the debate on this. It's not a sprained ankle or a sore shoulder where there are degrees to how recovered the player is, all of which can technically be played through based on a judgement call. Either he's symptom free through all the stages of the protocol and cleared by the med. staff by the end of the week and he obviously plays, or he's not, and he doesn't.

If Morgan is cleared to play at NW, he should play every snap. We are in the midst of a historic season and need victory. I speak for 97% of fans and players.
You don't, not even close

You're not wrong at all .... but that's only because our staff didn't give Kramer (or Clark) meaningful reps this season. Probably my main knock on them. So we don't know what they really can do. Maybe it's only a 10% dropoff. Maybe it's a 30%. Who knows?

You can't put all the chips on your main QB surviving the whole season with no injury, and not have any option at backup. Recipe for disaster.

You're not wrong at all .... but that's only because our staff didn't give Kramer (or Clark) meaningful reps this season. Probably my main knock on them. So we don't know what they really can do. Maybe it's only a 10% dropoff. Maybe it's a 30%. Who knows?

You can't put all the chips on your main QB surviving the whole season with no injury, and not have any option at backup. Recipe for disaster.

Do you really feel that a handful of reps in the limited amount of garbage time that was available would make those guys better?

Do you really feel that a handful of reps in the limited amount of garbage time that was available would make those guys better?
I said meaningful reps. That's not during garbage time.

And the point wasn't about making them better per se, but rather to give us an idea about what % of dropoff to expect from Morgan.

If it's a 30-50% dropoff ... then holy cow we need to completely revamp the gameplan.
But if it's only a 10% dropff, then we can still mostly do what we've been doing.

I said meaningful reps. That's not during garbage time.

And the point wasn't about making them better per se, but rather to give us an idea about what % of dropoff to expect from Morgan.

If it's a 30-50% dropoff ... then holy cow we need to completely revamp the gameplan.
But if it's only a 10% dropff, then we can still mostly do what we've been doing.

Like giving those guys reps ... while the game is on the line?

Like giving those guys reps ... while the game is on the line?
I'm not really interested in a semantics argument over the "correct" definition of meaningful vs garbage.

My point is pretty clear. It would be nice to have a good understanding what kind of dropoff we can expect, in games.

So you want to have a semantics debate? I'm not really interested in arguing over the "correct" definition of meaningful vs garbage.

My point is pretty clear. It would be nice to have a good understanding what kind of dropoff we can expect, in games.

I'm honestly confused.

If it isn't garbage time, then we're talking about when the game is still up for grabs aren't we?

If your argument is going to be that it's not reasonable to be able to obtain such an understanding, without the backups playing snaps that you think they should not be playing, then fine. I can't tell you that you're wrong there. That's a valid opinion.

I can only say that I don't agree.

Top Bottom