PJ Fleck addressed his future at Minnesota on Sunday: “I absolutley love it here.”

PJF will ascend to the office of AD while continuing to headcoach the football program... Just like Bear Bryant, Bud Wilkinson, Darrell Royal, Wally Butts and Ray Perkins. He may very well then be elected governor of the Great State of Minnesota. Amen.

PJF will ascend to the office of AD while continuing to headcoach the football program... Just like Bear Bryant, Bud Wilkinson, Darrell Royal, Wally Butts and Ray Perkins. He may very well then be elected governor of the Great State of Minnesota. Amen.

Paul Bunyan will be renamed Paul Fleck.

I hope most MN fans realize there will be some ebb and flow with Seasons. The key is to pounce when opportunity presents itself.

I completely agree with this. Part of the reason I was looking forward to this season for the last few years is because you could see the schedule is favorable. The problem is I don't think a lot of Minnesotan's think this way and if we win 10 games this year that will be the expectation the following year. Believe me, 2 years from now there will be some nasty posts/threads in this forum about Fleck if he has 7-5 seasons due to the schedule being much harder.

I completely agree with this. Part of the reason I was looking forward to this season for the last few years is because you could see the schedule is favorable. The problem is I don't think a lot of Minnesotan's think this way and if we win 10 games this year that will be the expectation the following year. Believe me, 2 years from now there will be some nasty posts/threads in this forum about Fleck if he has 7-5 seasons due to the schedule being much harder.

The schedule doesn't really get much tougher.
We always get Maryland, then we always get one good and one "weaker" team.

We won't ever get Maryland, Michigan, and Ohio St in the same year.

MN has never lost a coach (that they already had) because they were cheap or unwilling to pay. Lou Holtz is the last coach to leave with a positive aura and no amount of mony would have kept him from Notre Dame. Since then, every coach has been "let go" excluding Kill who resigned for health reasons.

I am confident MN will pony up the appropriate amount and I imagine it will come later in the season. Between WI and the bowl game sounds like about the right time.

The schedule doesn't really get much tougher.
We always get Maryland, then we always get one good and one "weaker" team.

We won't ever get Maryland, Michigan, and Ohio St in the same year.

In 2023 we get Michigan, Michigan State and @Ohio State.

if I'm Fleck, I go 13-0, go on the announcement show and say "The CFP didn't want the Big Ten champions in prior years and they aren't getting one this year. The RTB Culture is about connecting the past with the present, and we are heading to Pasadena baby!"

Turn down a chance at a national championship. That'll show 'em.

I honestly did not realize that we had so many crazy people posting on GopherHole.

Barreiro on the radio just now said “chance Fleck might leave”. If Fleck were to leave after 3 years, with only one solid season, I’d be shocked. Is there actually a chance he’d leave? He has two homes here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barreiro on the radio just now said “chance Fleck might leave”. If Fleck were to leave after 3 years, with only one solid season, I’d be shocked. Is there actually a chance he’d leave? He has two homes here

Barreiro is the last person who I'd expect to know anything and his job is to stir the pot... so this doesn't mean anything to me.

Barreiro will say whatever he thinks will get people talking and riled up. He doesn't care one way or the other or have any sort of inside information.

Who knows how it will all play out but I do find it kind of funny that anyone would think that a football coach would take a job at Minnesota with the intention of using it as a stepping stone to something bigger and better. Why would anyone in their right mind think that with our track record and local recruiting base?

In 2023 we get Michigan, Michigan State and @Ohio State.

Weird.
I didn't notice that.
Look at 2024.

Maryland (no doubt still talented then)
Indiana
MSU

2022 It's Rutgers and PSU (with MSU)

Jacob Clark will be a Red-shirt Senior in 2023 so we have nothing to worry about.

Barreiro will say whatever he thinks will get people talking and riled up. He doesn't care one way or the other or have any sort of inside information.

Who knows how it will all play out but I do find it kind of funny that anyone would think that a football coach would take a job at Minnesota with the intention of using it as a stepping stone to something bigger and better. Why would anyone in their right mind think that with our track record and local recruiting base?

He's been moving the goal post since PJ got hired here on what should be a reasonable result and PJ has surpassed most and now met his 8-0 "assumption".

Now he's floating extension / PJ leaving as a talker.

People with that kind of money can buy and sell homes as they please. That won't tie them down even if they take a loss on the sale of their house - the pay raise at the new job will more than make up for it.

Sure PJ could leave. I doubt he will after this year, but it certainly is possible. We don't really know what his intentions are.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Historically we blew chances to get Bud Wilkinson to coach football and Johnny Wooden for basketball. We also blew keeping Holtz. For once do the right thing and keep PJ. What he does academically and socially is incredible. And I love following his team.

Sure PJ could leave. I doubt he will after this year, but it certainly is possible.
Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

What about this year makes you doubt he will leave after this year?

What about this year makes you doubt he will leave after this year?

I don't know if he's reached the point after 3 years where ridiculous offers from helmet schools would be coming in. Bottom line is we don't know what his end-goal is. Does he want to keep moving up the ladder to more prestigious programs (that also might be able to pay more) or does he want to stay here and build something for a long, long time (like Alvarez or Ferentz)?

Well here’s the deal, you can use us as a stepping stone, and go become the next coach that is handed an amazing program. You get to bank on the brand name of the school for your recruiting, and hardly have to budge a finger to get 5 star recruits on a yearly basis. You basically just hold the torch and maintain the flame for 10 years until the next coach comes along to carry it where you left off. You hardly need to teach the players anything because they’re just on a whole different level of good. That’d be the easier option.

Or you could build a program that’s been mediocre/in the dumps for a long time, into a new force to be reckoned with. The second option opens you up to becoming a legend, a name that millions of people will remember nationwide for a century. You put your name in with the likes of Saban and Meyer, who will go down as coaches that helped permanently shape the image of college football. You start a dynasty team, that can recruit anyone from anywhere. You keep your best in state recruits easily. You start suffocating the neighboring states, and take all their best recruits (AKA Iowa and Wisconsin). You bring the Gopher fan base back to life, and it gets to the point where you need the 30,000 seat addition. You spend 15-20 years with the program, setting it up for 25 more years of greatness. You go on to coach the NFL, or you become the AD at the U of M. You end up with a building or the stadium named after you. You are welcomed back as a 70 year old to the thunderous applause of 80,000 fans that remember the legendary career you had as head coach at the U of M.

I guess technically he's not wrong. I might win the lottery this year.

I wonder if SMU and Baylor fans have multiple threads going on this topic, or if it’s just a Minnesota thing?

I wonder if SMU and Baylor fans have multiple threads going on this topic, or if it’s just a Minnesota thing?

There are articles about Rhule potentially leaving Baylor for the NFL (not sure about their message board). I don't see much about Sonny Dykes (SMU).

Bottom line is we don't know what his end-goal is. Does he want to keep moving up the ladder to more prestigious programs (that also might be able to pay more) or does he want to stay here and build something for a long, long time (like Alvarez or Ferentz)?

Yeah, that is the question. I just wasn’t sure if you were saying something about this season gives us insight into the answer to that question. I think your saying it doesn’t because the opportunities are unlikely to present themselves so early in his tenure.

The second option opens you up to becoming a legend, a name that millions of people will remember nationwide for a century. You put your name in with the likes of Saban and Meyer, who will go down as coaches that helped permanently shape the image of college football.

Bad examples. Saban left Mich St for a helmet school (LSU) to earn his first title. Then he returned to his second helmet school, Bama, to be where he is.

Meyer left Utah to go to Florida (helmet school) and then on to OhSt (helmet school).

A better example would be Bobby Bowden.

Good question.

Baylor has the potential to be a perennial top team in the winnable Big 12, a lot of wealthy alumni, and has a beautiful campus located in a hotbed of talent. Any step up from there would be a helmet school with a ton of expectation/pressure and not necessarily more desirable (similar to Minnesota).

SMU is different. It's not in a Power 5 conference so it probably can't afford a top notch coach for long. I'm curious if SMU has any aspirations to move up with the big boys again similar to when they were in the old Southwest Conference. It's similar in size to St. Thomas.

The time to give raises to the entire staff is after the BIG championship game and the CFP first round game. Just get it done before bowl season.

PJ decides what his staff gets, not Coyle. He gets an AC budget. PJ can ask for more, and he’ll likely get it.

Top Bottom