Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 198
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    7,966

    Default

    As previously noted, Fleck is under contract through 2023.

    If he wants to get out of the contract badly enough, he can get his 'new' school or their boosters to pay the buyout.

    Sad but true - in major conference D1 football and basketball, coaches preach loyalty to their players, but if they get a chance to take a better job for more money, loyalty goes out the window.

    so, it comes down to this. if Fleck gets a legitimate offer from another school, Coyle has to decide if he wants to get into a bidding war, and how high he's willing to go.

    but ultimately, if Fleck decides he doesn't want to be at MN anymore, he will leave. If he decides he wants to say, he'll stay.


  2. #152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenTheGreek View Post
    This is the BS that bugs me. If we win the next 2 games, how can you downplay a 10-game winning streak? If it were so easy, then how come only 3 out of 130 FBS teams currently have a 10-game winning streak? If they get to that 10-game winning streak the 10 wins would be against seven P5 schools. I don't care who you play, you go 7-0 against P5 schools that is very difficult. Stop downplaying this an enjoy the season.
    Please remove your rose-colored glasses sir.

  3. #153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    Please remove your rose-colored glasses sir.
    Please remove your aesthetic glasses for the blind... sir.

  4. #154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenTheGreek View Post
    This is the BS that bugs me. If we win the next 2 games, how can you downplay a 10-game winning streak? If it were so easy, then how come only 3 out of 130 FBS teams currently have a 10-game winning streak? If they get to that 10-game winning streak the 10 wins would be against seven P5 schools. I don't care who you play, you go 7-0 against P5 schools that is very difficult. Stop downplaying this an enjoy the season.
    Yep,

    If we go 9-3 with losses to Iowa, PSU and Wisky, that is a tremendously successful season for year 3 and I would definitely give him a raise. It doesn’t matter who we beat, 9 wins is 9 wins.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    Please remove your rose-colored glasses sir.
    That's my whole point. My glasses have never been rose colored because I'm only in my 40's. The current streak is something that hasn't been accomplished in over 70 years. Enjoy it for what it is, something unique that only the eldest of MN fans have ever seen.

  6. #156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    Yep,

    If we go 9-3 with losses to Iowa, PSU and Wisky, that is a tremendously successful season for year 3 and I would definitely give him a raise. It doesn’t matter who we beat, 9 wins is 9 wins.
    Unless you're Tracy Claeys, then 9 wins gets you fired.

  7. #157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Unless you're Tracy Claeys, then 9* wins gets you fired.
    FIFY...

  8. #158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Unless you're Tracy Claeys, then 9 wins gets you fired.
    Say it right. Player gang bangs, threatened bowl game player strikes, and publicly throwing your bosses under the bus are what get you fired if you win 9 games with one of the easiest schedules in recent team history.
    Last edited by Cruze; 10-17-2019 at 03:21 PM.

  9. #159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruze View Post
    Say it right. Player gang bangs, threatened bowl game player strikes, and publicly throwing your bosses under the bus are what get you fired if you win 9 games with one of the easiest schedules in recent team history.
    Doesn’t fit the narrative.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #160

    Default

    Glen Mason talked a little bit about PJ Fleck at Minnesota yesterday and had some interesting takes. He said it was probably a bit premature to sign him to a long term deal but if they thought he was their guy then you gotta do what you gotta do and get it done. He also said he would like to see kind of a poison pill to the deal where he had to pay back anything left in the contract. So if you signed him to a 10 year deal at 7 million a year and he left after a year he (or someone else) would owe 63 million, i.e the balance of the deal. These weren't his exact words - I am paraphrasing but it was the gist of it.

    I kind of liked that. The school is on the hook for big bucks if they decide to fire him and they owe the balance - the reciprocal should also hold true.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    36,676
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    We know no Gopher coach has left in 34 years. How many B1G football coaches have left to take a better job in that time? Gary Andersen bailed out Oregon State, but that was hardly an upgrade. Bielema to Arkansas is one. Nick Saban to LSU. Bill O'Brien and Greg Schiano went to the NFL. That's 4 and half of them were to go pro.

  12. #162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruze View Post
    Say it right. Player gang bangs, threatened bowl game player strikes, and publicly throwing your bosses under the bus are what get you fired if you win 9 games with one of the easiest schedules in recent team history.
    Oh, and I almost forgot. To get fired with a 9 win season your football team also must have a substandard culture that needs improving by a new coach who puts an emphasis on teaching players to be productive citizens and good leaders who strive to be positive examples in their communities and for younger Gopher players, new recruits, and Minnesota youth football players who dream about playing for the U someday.
    Last edited by Cruze; 10-17-2019 at 03:49 PM.

  13. #163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruze View Post
    Say it right. Player gang bangs, threatened bowl game player strikes, and publicly throwing your bosses under the bus are what get you fired if you win 9 games with one of the easiest schedules in recent team history.
    Thats not why he got fired though. Claeys was fired the day Coyle was hired. Never believed in Claeys but Coyle couldn't fire him after he won 8 games. Then this came up and it gave him an excuse. I don't remember where but this all came out.
    Last edited by die hard gopher; 10-17-2019 at 04:18 PM.

  14. #164

    Default

    We need a couple of quick losses to put this thread to bed.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

  15. #165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    Thats not why he got fired though. Claeys was fired the day Coyle was hired. Never believed in Claeys but Coyle couldn't fire him after he won 8 games. Then this came up and it gave him an excuse. I don't remember where but this all came out.
    That Tracy Claeys was so lacking in self awareness of how badly some of the things he said would sound to others and so lacking in political awareness that he could not see the sharks swimming towards him amply displays how out of his league the guy was as Gophers head coach. He did very well that season without a doubt. As a parallel, John Gutekunst was left behind a good team by Lou Holtz that he got to a bowl the next season when there were fewer bowl games and it was harder to make them, but the team slid further and further out to sea until Gutey finally had to go. By then the quality of replacement candidates had fallen so far from what we could have had after Holtz had we gone outside the program instead of promoting from within that we wound up with Jim Wacker. If we'd let Claeys stick around, I think we'd be down in the dumps with the likes of Illinois this season with Claeys as a dead man walking like Lovie Smith. If we lose Fleck, at the very least the quality of the replacement candidates will be superior to what we'd be looking at if we fired Claeys after a 4-8 (3-6) type of season.
    Last edited by Sports_Realist; 10-17-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •