Keeping PJ Fleck at Minnesota

lmh839

Barreiro was not trying to stir the pot in regards to PJ Fleck. There was an article written by Pat Forde on Yahoo! Sports that mentioned PJ Fleck as a possible candidate at USC so it was a topic of conversation on the radio show.

His ratings have been leading this market for many years, so people must listen to him.

As far as PJ Fleck, the only other jobs I could see him going after are Michigan State or Michigan. He has a pretty good job at Minnesota....Big Ten is one of the best conferences both in academics and athletics. Lots of history at Minnesota. You get to play for the Axe and Floyd each year. Strong athletic program located in a large metropolitan area. Elite facilities. Power 5 conference. He seems to be a midwest guy and I am not sure he would be even be good fit in the SEC. Success at Minnesota would be consistently winning 8-9 games with an occasional 10 win season. I could be wrong and PJ could decide to leave, but people need to stop thinking like Minnesota is a MAC school.

I suspect that what Coyle is looking at is the vision and trajectory of this team? Can he envision this team with PJ Fleck leading it with an upward trajectory resulting in sustained success? If so, he should extend him. I think Coyle sees a bright future with PJ and will act accordingly. On the other hand, if he doesn't think the future is bright he will not. But I doubt an extension would be based on anything in the present time.

CoMn

We talk about having to start over with a new coach...unless Fleck likes to be a turnaround coach, don't forget HE has to start over too. That's hard work and time consuming. He has to uproot his kids from their schools and his family from their friendships. There is an incentive to stay put at a place where you've finally got everyone on board and you get to call all the shots. Personally, I've loved Fleck since day 1. I love his HYPRR stuff, RTB and all. I am particularly proud of the team's GPA. I love that we don't have a bunch of thugs and that players are held accountable for their behavior off the field. I know I am in a minority, but probably says more about my age. I know I speak for a bunch of old fart big donors...we like supporting young men who are role models in our community and I suspect we will open our wallets when the time comes to make sure Fleck stays here.

Gopher in Texas

We talk about having to start over with a new coach...unless Fleck likes to be a turnaround coach, don't forget HE has to start over too. That's hard work and time consuming. He has to uproot his kids from their schools and his family from their friendships. There is an incentive to stay put at a place where you've finally got everyone on board and you get to call all the shots. Personally, I've loved Fleck since day 1. I love his HYPRR stuff, RTB and all. I am particularly proud of the team's GPA. I love that we don't have a bunch of thugs and that players are held accountable for their behavior off the field. I know I am in a minority, but probably says more about my age. I know I speak for a bunch of old fart big donors...we like supporting young men who are role models in our community and I suspect we will open our wallets when the time comes to make sure Fleck stays here.
+1

I don't think you are in the minority. I think most Gopher fans agree with you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

matt

Let's get weird
I hope we also open up the coffers to Coach Ciarrocca and the rest of the assistants.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

I hope we also open up the coffers to Coach Ciarrocca and the rest of the assistants.
Generally that goes hand in hand.

Even if it didn't the HC usually advocates for that, but I suspect everyone involved knows that it's a general upgrade for everyone if new contracts are being handed out.

DarrenTheGreek

Gov. Victory Bell Ringer
For those calling to do it now, you don't think PJ realizes he has more leverage if he waits until season end? It might not solely be up to the U...

For now, I'm just enjoying season. Not going to worry about locking up PJ or PJ Leaving. I don't think he leaves
, but if he does, can always raid NDSU coaching staff
This is the truth. Just because Coyle would offer something by the end of October doesn't mean Fleck is accepting it. The bottom line is that if we're winning, Fleck will stay if he wants to stay and leave if he wants to leave.

GFBfan

When Zimmer decides to retire or gets fired, the one place RTB would fit would be with the Vikings. No uprooting of kids or moving either.
I believe if he leaves for somewhere it will be the NFL, not another college.

MNVCGUY

When Zimmer decides to retire or gets fired, the one place RTB would fit would be with the Vikings. No uprooting of kids or moving either.
I believe if he leaves for somewhere it will be the NFL, not another college.
I don't know if Fleck's style would work in the NFL as a head coach. He really strikes me as well suited to college and that age of player.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

I don't know if Fleck's style would work in the NFL as a head coach. He really strikes me as well suited to college and that age of player.
I agree... although mismatches have never stopped coach's before. Saban in the NFL, Chip Kelly inexplicably going back to college.

Barreiro is probably the only person on KFAN that I can't listen to. Takes pompous to another level. And when he's consistently wrong, never admits it, and continues to hate on local teams.....I don't understand what his draw is.
Sounds like other "leaders" in our society. Great traits in a person: pompous, wrong, hates.

Go Gophs

An extention won't happen until after the season. Both PJ and the University will probably want to see how this year plays out. I am happy as can be with the start this team has had this year, but what would everybody be saying had they actually played some compeition so far and were lets say 3-3 or 4-2 with a 1-2 BT record? Also, as noted, Fleck knows that if he ends up taking this team to a New Years bowl or the like that he will be a great position to demand basically what he wants as far as a contract goees.

Also, folks making it seem that Minnesota is a mecca type job or why are we comparing to a MAC school I don't think understand it. Minnesota has been for the better part of a quarter century been terrible in the athletics that matter. For quite some time, there was no support from the University. They have started to turn that around IMO. And we play in the Big Ten. But don't think for a minute if USC or UCLA or an SEC school comes calling that PJ won't consider it.

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
But don't think for a minute if USC or UCLA or an SEC school comes calling that PJ won't consider it.
People who keep bringing up UCLA show their ignorance. UCLA isn't a better job than Minnesota. USC? Yes, absolutely, along with many other jobs across the country. But UCLA? Please.

Jeshurun

King of the Too's
People who keep bringing up UCLA show their ignorance. UCLA isn't a better job than Minnesota. USC? Yes, absolutely, along with many other jobs across the country. But UCLA? Please.
I’d agree with you with the caveat that UCLA is nationally perceived as a better job.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

UCLA can bring in good croots based on its name, that's not a thing here and that's a big part of the job.

They just were dumb and crooted a coach who doesn't like crooting...

PMWinSTP

USC was pretty up and down in the 20 years before Carroll. UCLA has been pretty up and down for the past 20 years after having a nice stretch of success. It's a high profile program in a big splashy media market. The weather and the ocean. It consistently pulls in top 25 recruiting classes. Those and the opportunity would be attractive to Fleck.

Do I think Fleck is going anywhere in the near future? Nope. Do I think UCLA would take a flyer on him in 2-3 years if Kelly doesn't pan out and Gophs have strung together 3-4 years of 9+ win seasons? Absolutely.

Coyle will redo his contract if this season is 9+ wins. Coyle will redo his contract next year if it happens again.

Latest profile posts