Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
    Thanks for the reports. Curry "present and walking with a little limp?" Dare I hope or has something definite come out?
    All Pitino said was that they were getting a second opinion and confirmed he had a "setback."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    I was not there but a good buddy of mine was, here are his texts:

- Willis looks like every bit the shooter Gabe is
    - Greenlee looks very solid. Not tall but strong and athletic with good shot and does't make mistakes
    - Ihnen potential is off the charts
    - Omersa looks a little better but still don't expect much offense
    - Not wowed by Demir. Maybe against a smaller team. We need Curry
    - Tre has a good build and decent shot. Should play. Car, Willis, Gabe, Oturu are all really solid.
    - Oturu was shooting well from outside. and all of our big guys look like they can handle the ball well. Some very impressive ball handling by the bigs on full court one on one.

Go Gophers!!
    Thanks Bleed.

Not wowed by Demir concerns me quite a bit, especially in light of Curry injury. Hoping frontline doesn't up being Oturu and a prayer (Hurt, Omersa, Demir, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    Thanks Bleed.

Not wowed by Demir concerns me quite a bit, especially in light of Curry injury. Hoping frontline doesn't up being Oturu and a prayer (Hurt, Omersa, Demir, etc.).
    I wasnt there yesterday but i was at another practice and Demir is never gonna "wow" anyone. I worry about his defense but offensively he'll help for sure.

Demer look at what he did ,who he did for and who he did it against...nothing on his resume to support a serviceable big ten starter. Maybe ok off the pine

Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    Thanks Bleed.

I saw Demir in a game last year with Drexel. I wasn't impressed at the end of the game, but that was an n of 1. Hopefully he can adjust to Big Ten and contribute but I'm not going to hold my breath. I go into season with low expectations but with hope he will surprise

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Default impressions from practice (loyalty perk)

Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    Nearly an impossible thing to see until games start. Guys who are terrible FT percentage shooters in games will still be at minimum 70% in practice (even Omersa).

Thanks for post about practice. Will be a really fun team to watch develop and grow.
    I seriously doubt Omersa shoots 70% FT even in practice but would be delighted if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bordergopher; 10-09-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bordergopher View Post
    I seriously doubt Omersa shoots 70% FT even in practice but would be delighted if I’m wrong.

You'd be surprised. When I coached and we tallied it, pretty much everyone on our teams would shoot above 65% during free throws (non pressured). It's part of why I stopped practicing them that way. I was listening to a podcast with Rob McClanaghan (famed NBA trainer) and he said Rondo shoots 80% in workouts. These guys shoot all the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whalenfan View Post
    I wasnt there yesterday but i was at another practice and Demir is never gonna "wow" anyone. I worry about his defense but offensively he'll help for sure.
    Hmm. If only we could combine him and Omersa, we'd have something. Any chance Oturu would play the 4 with Freeman at the 5?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bordergopher View Post

+1.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Hmm. If only we could combine him and Omersa, we'd have something. Any chance Oturu would play the 4 with Freeman at the 5?
    no

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if that combo is seen in non-conference play or possibly even Omersa at the 5 with Oturu at the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if that combo is seen in non-conference play or possibly even Omersa at the 5 with Oturu at the 4.
    I think this would be ideal for the team and Oturu individually if he plays the 4 next to Omersa at the 5. Oturu will be able to show off his versatility and range for NBA scouts, and Omersa will be able to take on the bruiser, pick setter role on the offensive end. If the starting lineup is Carr, Willis, Kalscheur, Omersa, Oturu (with Omersa and Oturu being interchangeable as far as 4/5) that will be a great, balanced lineup.

The Gophers haven't really had a stretch 4 under Pitino since King graduated, so if Omersa and Oturu have limited range, I don't see why that will change our offense or really hamper us in anyway. Best case scenario is Oturu becomes a decent 3-point shooter (NBA scouts will want to see that from him).

EDIT: Just want to add that I think Omersa could handle himself as a Center on defense. He might pick up a lot of fouls, but if he is able to give 15-20 minutes at Center (I'd only do this if Oturu was also on the floor), that can really change the dynamic of this team.
    Last edited by Lakers612; 10-09-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
    Thanks for the reports. Curry "present and walking with a little limp?" Dare I hope or has something definite come out?
    No idea what his injury is, but it's common for people with torn ACLs to be able to walk around without a brace or crutches, so him being able to walk unfortunately doesn't really mean anything. Doogie said it will be a "lengthy" rehab, whatever that is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers612 View Post
    I think this would be ideal for the team and Oturu individually if he plays the 4 next to Omersa at the 5. Oturu will be able to show off his versatility and range for NBA scouts, and Omersa will be able to take on the bruiser, pick setter role on the offensive end. If the starting lineup is Carr, Willis, Kalscheur, Omersa, Oturu (with Omersa and Oturu being interchangeable as far as 4/5) that will be a great, balanced lineup.

The Gophers haven't really had a stretch 4 under Pitino since King graduated, so if Omersa and Oturu have limited range, I don't see why that will change our offense or really hamper us in anyway. Best case scenario is Oturu becomes a decent 3-point shooter (NBA scouts will want to see that from him).

EDIT: Just want to add that I think Omersa could handle himself as a Center on defense. He might pick up a lot of fouls, but if he is able to give 15-20 minutes at Center (I'd only do this if Oturu was also on the floor), that can really change the dynamic of this team.
    Totally agree. The key to Oturu at the 4 is, he would have to show that he can not only shoot if from range but also be able to drive effectively to the hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    You'd be surprised. When I coached and we tallied it, pretty much everyone on our teams would shoot above 65% during free throws (non pressured). It's part of why I stopped practicing them that way. I was listening to a podcast with Rob McClanaghan (famed NBA trainer) and he said Rondo shoots 80% in workouts. These guys shoot all the time.
    So, what was your super secret discovery on how to effectively practice free throws? One and ones or line drills absolutely creates pressure....it also gets your marginal players taped into a locker ha
    Two at a time, develop a routine, (one bounce always, deep breath etc whatever your thing is) no shooter talking while they launch as they are shooting because it's not game like during the release...etc

Random free throws during 5 on 5 can be good with time and score situations. One person shooting and 14 people watching for a team total percentage with consequences is good but it takes 10 minutes for 15 guys to shoot and they each took two shots. Can't do that too often early in the season.

Your solution or discoveries?

Agree most everyone can shoot 65% in practice...same thing on 3's...percentage way higher with no defender and multiple shots same location.