Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPTMidnight View Post
    Spending time finding a loophole is not wrong. Plenty of coaches with character and integrity but have found a way to get around the spirit of the law by focusing on the letter of the law. What you don't want is a coach that is stupid and reckless with the rules - like hiring a tutor and letting them do the work for the student - that will get them in hot water. Finding some way to accomplish the same goal by referencing some obscure rule or existing NCAA gray area just means that the NCAA will someday find out and close that loophole for everyone.
    I disagree. If it is something that is fundamentally wrong and goes against the intent of the law, it doesn't make it right just because you found a "loophole" that lets you get away with it. Of course there may be some "unintended" areas that allow you have an advantage, like when NC State would go into the stall to slow down high powered teams. Like in life, I am a firm believer that you do not need a law to tell you what is right or wrong, some feel that if it isn't against the law then it is OK.


  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    I disagree. If it is something that is fundamentally wrong and goes against the intent of the law, it doesn't make it right just because you found a "loophole" that lets you get away with it. Of course there may be some "unintended" areas that allow you have an advantage, like when NC State would go into the stall to slow down high powered teams. Like in life, I am a firm believer that you do not need a law to tell you what is right or wrong, some feel that if it isn't against the law then it is OK.
    You're the one guy on the planet that tells your CPA - "no, no, lets not take that tax deduction, I am a firm believer we should pay tax on that one because I know right and wrong and we should not be able to get away with a loophole" LOL sure you are.

  3. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    I disagree. If it is something that is fundamentally wrong and goes against the intent of the law, it doesn't make it right just because you found a "loophole" that lets you get away with it. Of course there may be some "unintended" areas that allow you have an advantage, like when NC State would go into the stall to slow down high powered teams. Like in life, I am a firm believer that you do not need a law to tell you what is right or wrong, some feel that if it isn't against the law then it is OK.
    Agreed, we have the law written on our heart and our conscience bears witness to it, so no, we do not need a law to know what is right and wrong.

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherPete View Post
    Agreed, we have the law written on our heart and our conscience bears witness to it, so no, we do not need a law to know what is right and wrong.
    Agreed on the law written on our hearts - Romans 2:15 but not sure how this relates to a business agreement by two nonprofit entities. I guess you are saying that Coyle, Pitino and company should the NCAA member institution agreement, bylaws, and updated compliance rules written on their hearts so that their conscience bears witness?

    How about demanding that they work under U of M guidelines and the NCAA and maximize the flexibility to the team while minimizing the any risk or in other words "walk up to the line but never cross it"?

  5. #20

    Default Georgia Tech receives postseason ban for 2019-20

    Quote Originally Posted by CPTMidnight View Post
    You're the one guy on the planet that tells your CPA - "no, no, lets not take that tax deduction, I am a firm believer we should pay tax on that one because I know right and wrong and we should not be able to get away with a loophole" LOL sure you are.
    That is not my point. I didnít say you take free throws from 2 feet further back because you think it is too easy. I am talking about not lying on my charitable contributions because they will never check and I wonít get caught. Or telling the checkout clerk that they missed an item on the bill. It has nothing to do with religion.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #21

    Default

    Agreed. "not lying on my charitable contributions because they will never check and I won’t get caught" is exactly what Clem did back in the day. He knew what he was doing and never thought he would get caught. My point is to never do that - Clem is not the guy you want to get creative with NCAA rules.

    What the other schools are doing is finding ways to solve the same problem by using their own rules against them and then when someone calls them on it they march out the attorneys and the rule-book and promise much pain and negative publicity. They all end up with a settlement where everyone agrees to not do it again and it goes away.

    My point is if you are going to try to get edgy on this stuff it is better to do it with the attorneys and the rule book and not have Clem do it. I am not even saying we should be trying to bend the rules to our advantage to the level that these other schools are gaming the system.

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPTMidnight View Post
    Agreed. "not lying on my charitable contributions because they will never check and I wonít get caught" is exactly what Clem did back in the day. He knew what he was doing and never thought he would get caught. My point is to never do that - Clem is not the guy you want to get creative with NCAA rules.

    What the other schools are doing is finding ways to solve the same problem by using their own rules against them and then when someone calls them on it they march out the attorneys and the rule-book and promise much pain and negative publicity. They all end up with a settlement where everyone agrees to not do it again and it goes away.

    My point is if you are going to try to get edgy on this stuff it is better to do it with the attorneys and the rule book and not have Clem do it. I am not even saying we should be trying to bend the rules to our advantage to the level that these other schools are gaming the system.
    That is completely different than what I thought you said initially. It can be a good idea to have some "experts" determine if you are interpreting the rules correctly, but not to see if you can get around the rules and "cheat" without getting caught.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPTMidnight View Post
    Agreed. "not lying on my charitable contributions because they will never check and I wonít get caught" is exactly what Clem did back in the day. He knew what he was doing and never thought he would get caught. My point is to never do that - Clem is not the guy you want to get creative with NCAA rules.

    What the other schools are doing is finding ways to solve the same problem by using their own rules against them and then when someone calls them on it they march out the attorneys and the rule-book and promise much pain and negative publicity. They all end up with a settlement where everyone agrees to not do it again and it goes away.

    My point is if you are going to try to get edgy on this stuff it is better to do it with the attorneys and the rule book and not have Clem do it. I am not even saying we should be trying to bend the rules to our advantage to the level that these other schools are gaming the system.
    Do not agree at all with this.

    What is the difference between funneling money to kids or writing them a check yourself? Either way they get the money. What is the difference between offering fake classes, or having someone write a term paper for you?

    There is none. Both are wrong, both are against the rules. Both should be punished the same. If not, it is an unfair advantage. Which is what it has been for years. Either the NCAA gets tough on these top schools, or it's time to open it up, set limits on the amount of money able to be paid and be done with it. That or abolish the NCAA altogether.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •