Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default ESPN: Virginia's Bennett rejects raise in new deal

per ESPN:

Virginia coach Tony Bennett declined to take a raise while extending his contract by another year.

The Cavaliers announced the extension Monday, saying Bennett asked for the money to be used to pay his staff more and for improvements to both his program as well as other Virginia teams.

"[My wife] Laurel and I are in a great spot, and in the past I've had increases in my contract," Bennett said in the news release. "We just feel a great peace about where we're at, all that's taken place, and how we feel about this athletic department and this community and this school. I love being at UVA.

"... I have more than enough, and if there are ways that this can help out the athletic department, the other programs and coaches, by not tying up so much [in men's basketball], that's my desire."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...raise-new-deal

Go Gophers!!

As a former MLB PR person I find it very interesting (and highly unusual) that the subject of a contract extension press release would be directly quoted about the financial terms. Even more interesting is when that subject has a reputation for selfless humility I wonder why he would even sign off on that being included; don't take the raise and instead funnel the money to your coaches...awesome and very admirable. But to publicize it seems self aggrandizing (or as the kids would say, doing a humble brag).

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGopher View Post
    As a former MLB PR person I find it very interesting (and highly unusual) that the subject of a contract extension press release would be directly quoted about the financial terms. Even more interesting is when that subject has a reputation for selfless humility I wonder why he would even sign off on that being included; don't take the raise and instead funnel the money to your coaches...awesome and very admirable. But to publicize it seems self aggrandizing (or as the kids would say, doing a humble brag).
    Maybe the school thought it'd be a good idea to continue to publicize TB's impeccable rep. Would've Virginia been on the front page of ESPN for anything positive otherwise?

Right, it's like making a sizable contribution to a charity as anonymous but then telling everyone you are the anonymous doner (see curb your enthusiasm)

I didn't read it...but is it possible Bennett didn't approve the announcement? I agree it's a humble brag but it is also admirable and hard to lessen the decision's impact. All in all, hats off to Coach Bennett!

Quote Originally Posted by 60's Guy View Post
    I didn't read it...but is it possible Bennett didn't approve the announcement? I agree it's a humble brag but it is also admirable and hard to lessen the decision's impact. All in all, hats off to Coach Bennett!
    Absolutely 100% no chance he didn't review and approve that release.

Blog Entries

Absolutely 100% no chance he didn't review and approve that release.
    I'm sure he did approve it. But frankly, it would be odd to sign an extension with no increase, especially after you just won the national title. So I don't see the harm in addressing it. It's not quite the same as making an anonymous donation.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    I'm sure he did approve it. But frankly, it would be odd to sign an extension with no increase, especially after you just won the national title. So I don't see the harm in addressing it. It's not quite the same as making an anonymous donation.
    People will take shots at anyone they are envious of. If he was our coach we would be thrilled over the moon for not milking us for every dime he could get. It is public information that UVA has to reveal. Any extension requires approval and sends shockwaves through regents and University administrations when a giant raise is diverted, since it never happens, except where he already did it previously for his staff, that also had to be approved or when he requested incentives for accomplishments to achieve high pay. Most unique coaching contract we have ever seen. Winning 30 games last year without winning the ACC or advancing in the NCAA all the way would have left him 1.25 million less that he easily could have simply asked for. He would never reveal the actual charities he and his family give, those are private. Just like the amount those UVA billionaires set aside a very substantial retirement fund for him privately. Public contract-private business. Lets say the U buys Fleck a membership to Spring Hill, it must be approved and revealed. Lets say Bennett joins Augusta National, it does not need to be revealed. Every single contract at a public institution, every part of it has to meet with approval and has to be public. That is why his incentive pay that he requested had to be public. This is as private a person in the public you will find. Turns down national car commercials, the today and tonight show, no social media, no twitter, gives all the credit to everyone else, never makes excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    People will take shots at anyone they are envious of. If he was our coach we would be thrilled over the moon for not milking us for every dime he could get. It is public information that UVA has to reveal. Any extension requires approval and sends shockwaves through regents and University administrations when a giant raise is diverted, since it never happens, except where he already did it previously for his staff, that also had to be approved or when he requested incentives for accomplishments to achieve high pay. Most unique coaching contract we have ever seen. Winning 30 games last year without winning the ACC or advancing in the NCAA all the way would have left him 1.25 million less that he easily could have simply asked for. He would never reveal the actual charities he and his family give, those are private. Just like the amount those UVA billionaires set aside a very substantial retirement fund for him privately. Public contract-private business. Lets say the U buys Fleck a membership to Spring Hill, it must be approved and revealed. Lets say Bennett joins Augusta National, it does not need to be revealed. Every single contract at a public institution, every part of it has to meet with approval and has to be public. That is why his incentive pay that he requested had to be public. This is as private a person in the public you will find. Turns down national car commercials, the today and tonight show, no social media, no twitter, gives all the credit to everyone else, never makes excuses.
    Agreed. That guy is the real deal. Unfortunately no amount of money will ever convince him to come here. On a positive note, looks like the Badgers have no chance at him either, which makes me feel good. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    Agreed. That guy is the real deal. Unfortunately no amount of money will ever convince him to come here. On a positive note, looks like the Badgers have no chance at him either, which makes me feel good. ��
    The UW chance sailed more than 10 years ago. Ours 12. Said it before, UVA is his last college job.

Want to add that we have our coach.

Blog Entries

When was the last time you heard a coach or player say - “I have more than enough?” Like, never.
    Tony is in a league of his own.

Maybe I'm missing something. Could he have not accepted the raise and then spread the money around to assistants, etc., without all the publicity? Have other coaches perhaps been very generous with their raise without getting the press involved?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    The UW chance sailed more than 10 years ago. Ours 12. Said it before, UVA is his last college job.
    If Tubby had taken the UVa job, maybe he'd be the Gophers coach. But our Maturi would probably have effed it up somehow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ltf View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something. Could he have not accepted the raise and then spread the money around to assistants, etc., without all the publicity? Have other coaches perhaps been very generous with their raise without getting the press involved?
    Sort of. But not really. There would have been questions about why the extension didn't have any increase in it. At least if the local reports are good at their job. Is UVa being cheap? Is Tony holding out to bolt for a better job? Etc.