Pro Football Focus ranks Tyler Johnson #15 player in all of CFB

I’ve always maintained that Pro Football Focus is as fine a journalistic institution as any.

I’ve always maintained that Pro Football Focus is as fine a journalistic institution as any.

Well I mean they actually are. 66 FBS teams pay them for data and no one else grades every single player on every single player like PFF. I don't know if "journalistic institution" is an accurate term to describe who they are but they are certainly fine.

Notable that he's ahead of Clemson WR Tee Higgins, Oklahoma WR CD Lamb and Alabama WR Jaylen Waddle as a lot of draft rankings and CFB rankings in general usually have those guys ahead of Tyler.

Well I mean they actually are. 66 FBS teams pay them for data and no one else grades every single player on every single player like PFF. I don't know if "journalistic institution" is an accurate term to describe who they are but they are certainly fine.

It’s a trope on here: anytime someone has something positive to say about the gophers we lavish them with praise. If they say something negative about the gophers they are clearly dinks who have no business being a soothsayer of sport.

It’s a trope on here: anytime someone has something positive to say about the gophers we lavish them with praise. If they say something negative about the gophers they are clearly dinks who have no business being a soothsayer of sport.

I know, I know. I'm just saying that you are actually right in this case.

I could be wrong but i think it all started in 2013 or 2014 when Brian Bennett, a Big Ten blogger for ESPN.com wrote something negative and the thread title was "Brian Bennett is a dink." Ever since then, "dink" or "not a dink" has become a popular term around here. At lest that was the first time I remember seeing it used on here.

Here it is: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?56476-Brian-Bennett-is-a-dink

Last edited:

That’s some high praise. PFF is great about spotting quality players who don’t play on the prestige teams the media zeroes is on. They loved Stove Richardson a couple years back.

That’s some high praise. PFF is great about spotting quality players who don’t play on the prestige teams the media zeroes is on. They loved Stove Richardson a couple years back.

Yeah, I feel like most media members who have votes on things like all conference teams and the top 25, or at least those that aren't former players and coaches, really vote on things like O-line, D-line and CB all conference teams based on perception. I doubt journalists like Andy Greder and Megan Ryan or guys like Rick Pizzo and Mike Hall from BTN are going back and watching film on big ten offensive guards when they vote for the second and third team all big ten offensive lines. With the exception of QB's and RB's, most people don't actually know how good a player plays aside from 3-4 big plays they make in a game.

PFF on the other hand grades every single player on every single play. Nothing is based on perception with them or casual boxscore watching.

PFF accolades seem to correlate well with college productivity (eg Cashman, Richardson) but don’t seem to be very predictive of where they’ll go in the draft or projected production at the next level. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen their methodology linked or explained. Definitely an honor and we’re more concerned whether player are productive in our system vs other FBS teams.

Pro Football Focus is known for their high character staff.

Last edited:

PFF accolades seem to correlate well with college productivity (eg Cashman, Richardson) but don’t seem to be very predictive of where they’ll go in the draft or projected production at the next level. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen their methodology linked or explained. Definitely an honor and we’re more concerned whether player are productive in our system vs other FBS teams.

Good point. NFL scouts focus more on traits, PFF is looking strictly at productivity. If Tyler improves his speed, his draft status will improve even if his production drops a little, which is a good possibility with Bateman on the field with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you suggesting we have a bias?

No, and furthermore anyone who does so is a dink.

xLTDVt9.gif

Top Bottom