Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    20 years? Hmm. What about St. John's...same could be said for it form Mich longer. Bethel is getting there as well.
    There are more sports than football....

STrib: Augsburg president 'reluctantly supports' removing St. Thomas from MIAC

Augsburg President Paul Pribbenow believes a consensus has formed among MIAC schools to remove St. Thomas from the conference and "reluctantly supports" that decision, according to e-mails obtained by the Star Tribune.

In an exchange with an Augsburg supporter, Pribbenow wrote that several schools have threatened to leave the MIAC in recent years. He said he wants "the MIAC to remain as whole as is possible," even if it means St. Thomas must be expelled.

"My sense is that we have reached a consensus that will keep 12 schools together in the MIAC and that we will support St. Thomas's efforts to find a new conference home," Pribbenow replied to the Augsburg supporter, who wrote to express his opposition to removing St. Thomas. "I can assure you that if we had not reached this *consensus, the MIAC would have imploded, leaving all of us in a far less attractive position."

The Star Tribune reported last month that some MIAC presidents were moving to oust St. Thomas from the league it helped found 99 years ago. At an April 18 meeting, the presidents of the MIAC's 13 member schools deferred any decision on the Tommies' future in the conference, saying they would continue discussions at future meetings.

Pribbenow's assistant said he was out of town and referred a request for further comment to a college spokesperson, who did not respond to an e-mail. A phone call and e-mail to Carleton President Steven Poskanzer were answered by athletic department spokesman Dave Pape, who said his school would not be commenting publicly.

The presidents at other MIAC schools, including St. Thomas, St. Olaf, Hamline and Gustavus, did not respond to e-mails and phone calls requesting comment.

http://www.startribune.com/augsburg-...iac/509752432/

Go Gophers!!

Blog Entries

Born out of jealousy? Who cares if Saint Thomas wins more Durenberger Allsports Trophies? I don't think the average MIAC fan cares.

It is the college presidents that do. I don't think the football coaches are happy about removing Saint Thomas. I have a feeling Saint Johns and Saint Bens aren't happy about this decision.

The MIAC will have a different feeling. My concern is that this opens the door for other colleges to leave the MIAC after Saint Thomas anyway. The very thing they wanted to prevent by kicking Saint Thomas out will be the ultimate outcome - a decision they will regret down the line. What is the Saint Olaf president thinking about ousting a hundred years of college traditions among the different colleges?
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

I have the following schools currently will NOT vote to remove UST:
    St Johns
    St Thomas
    Bethel
    Concordia
    St Kate’s

My sources are mediocre, but a couple of those are fairly consistently rumored to be against booting them. If St Kate’s and Concordia want them to stay, it’s hard to get to 9 votes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    St Johns
    St Thomas
    Bethel
    Concordia
    St Kate’s

My sources are mediocre, but a couple of those are fairly consistently rumored to be against booting them. If St Kate’s and Concordia want them to stay, it’s hard to get to 9 votes.
    What about St. Ben's?
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

per Shooter:

Don’t think Division III University of St. Thomas isn’t at least inquiring about Division I implications. Latest word is that there are eight presidents of schools in the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Association considering a vote to oust St. Thomas. Nine votes are required for expulsion.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/1...kout-all-star/

Go Gophers!!

St Johns
    St Thomas
    Bethel
    Concordia
    St Kate’s

Interesting. The schools that actually give a shiite about athletics want them to stay and the schools that don’t want them out. Geezus, what a world.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Again, until proven otherwise, I will go with Pat Reusse, who has been following this story before anyone else. He says they have the votes needed to change the by-laws and expel St. Thomas. And Reusse has been getting inside information from some MIAC coaches, so no offense, but I'll go with his version before people guessing on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    What about St. Ben's?
    Not sure how st bens votes. I have absolutely zero contacts from st bens

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Again, until proven otherwise, I will go with Pat Reusse, who has been following this story before anyone else. He says they have the votes needed to change the by-laws and expel St. Thomas. And Reusse has been getting inside information from some MIAC coaches, so no offense, but I'll go with his version before people guessing on the internet.
    For sure. People guessing in real life are more reliable than people guessing on the internet

In theory, I donít see why St Bens would vote differently than St Johns, especially nor would I see any reason that St bens would feel differently than St Johns about saving ToJo.

Then again, removing ST possibly puts St Bens in a better position to win the conference more often.

St Kate isnít affiliated with ST though, like SB is with SJ. I see zero reason why SK would buck the larger group voting them out.

The schools that make sense as wanting to keep them in are Concordia, Bethel, for sure St Johns, and probable/maybe(?) St Bens. Thatís it.
    Last edited by Gophers_4life; 05-12-2019 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    In theory, I don’t see why St Bens would vote differently than St Johns, especially nor would I see any reason that St bens would feel differently than St Johns about saving ToJo.

Then again, removing ST possibly puts St Bens in a better position to win the conference more often.

St Kate isn’t affiliated with ST though, like SB is with SJ. I see zero reason why SK would buck the larger group voting them out.

The schools that make sense as wanting to keep them in are Concordia, Bethel, for sure St Johns, and probable/maybe(?) St Bens. That’s it.
    St Kate’s and st Thomas were essentially the same relationship as St. John’s st bens until st Thomas went coed.

St Kate’s and st Thomas still share some courses and both schools have students who will take classes on the others’ campus. This is about more than sports.

St Kate’s and st Thomas were essentially the same relationship as St. John’s st bens until st Thomas went coed.

St Kate’s and st Thomas still share some courses and both schools have students who will take classes on the others’ campus. This is about more than sports.
    It’s between 0-5% the same as the relationship between SB and SJ.

ST going coed, along the path to being a large, comprehensive university, just again shows that they no longer belong in the MIAC.

Also LOL at “your sources”. Anyone who has to post on internet message boards to be heard, and to get info, is self-evidently a nobody. I’m happy to admit that goes for myself as well.

Nobody's of the World, Unite!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    It’s between 0-5% the same as the relationship between SB and SJ.

ST going coed, along the path to being a large, comprehensive university, just again shows that they no longer belong in the MIAC.

Also LOL at “your sources”. Anyone who has to post on internet message boards to be heard, and to get info, is self-evidently a nobody. I’m happy to admit that goes for myself as well.