P.J. Fleck Show is on KFAN Now

You missed the Brewster years then?

I don't think initially MN fans were anti-brew, but as time dragged on. Once he started losing to FCS schools...

You dumped your 20 year season tickets to football because of Fleck. Explain how you're not staying away.

You said I was staying away until he proves something to me. I said he doesn't have anything to prove to me. I'm staying away because I don't like his approach - becoming PJU instead of UofM throughout the stadium. Still not cheering against him. Want there to be a foundation for the next coach, be that 2 years or 20 years, just as he inherited.

There were all kinds of moments last year, and I didn't do it. I have also said, in advance, that when players screw up (they are 18-23 and someone will), I won't blame PJ. Despite not liking his approach, just as coaches before him, I know he has communicated high expectations for kids off the field. If 1, 2 or 5 screw up, it isn't his fault.

What is bugging me more than anything is a handful of active posters who so ardently cheered against our past staff and now so ardently cheer for the current one, and expect everyone to have the same enthusiasm for everything the coach does. They can't have it both ways. Yes, I need to quit letting them bug me. Likely, they will at some point turn on PJ if he doesn't win enough for them after a few years, has a kid screw up, etc.

So to show those fans up, you're going to ardently root against PJ

Adds up

Quick glance, I saw some predicting he'd be gone, but not actively cheering against him.

Two questions:

Do you think Claey's would've gotten us any further than Kill/Claeys era already took us?
Do you think Claey's will be a HC in P5 again?

Better question? Why don't you just admit you were wrong? :D

Better question? Why don't you just admit you were wrong? :D

There were definitely people who thought Claeys should be fired and wasn't the guy. I don't equate that to I wont go to games because I don't like his mannerisms

How many of them had players carrying oars or the equivalent? On helmets? How many of them sprinted ahead of every player to be center of attention? How many spring at end of quarters in middle of field to be seen? Give me a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Reusse,
I know your sad about your show being canceled, but how about leaving these comments to your Twitter account.

A lot of people cheered against Brewster and Claeys (at least) in my 20 years as a Gopher fan - I assume there were others in the years prior. Claeys is basically a punchline on this forum here and now, despite the fact that he has the best Big Ten winning percentage of any Gophers football head coach since Cal Stoll and is probably the best Gophers DC since at least the glory years.

I realize that at some point arguing about the past is folly.

But I will say that, while I agree that Claeys is an EXCELLENT d coord and X&O's guy, he simply did not look the part of a head coach. He didn't look it, and he didn't talk it. Not sure how he was giving speeches or glad-handing with big donors. He's a chalkboard guy, first and foremost.

Sorry, but a HC, and more and more true the bigger the program is, has to look the part, has to be a fundraiser, has to sell himself as the face of the program.

I'd hire him back in a half-second, as the DC. And not a position coach, not a recruiter either. Simply a chessboard maestro, taking the players that Fleck and his recruiters get him, and putting them in the best position to succeed on every play.

I realize that at some point arguing about the past is folly.

But I will say that, while I agree that Claeys is an EXCELLENT d coord and X&O's guy, he simply did not look the part of a head coach. He didn't look it, and he didn't talk it. Not sure how he was giving speeches or glad-handing with big donors. He's a chalkboard guy, first and foremost.

Sorry, but a HC, and more and more true the bigger the program is, has to look the part, has to be a fundraiser, has to sell himself as the face of the program.

I'd hire him back in a half-second, as the DC. And not a position coach, not a recruiter either. Simply a chessboard maestro, taking the players that Fleck and his recruiters get him, and putting them in the best position to succeed on every play.

I think this is mostly BS. There are a lot of ugly D1 head coaches. I think his style of communicating would have also worked just fine in fundraising. The HC part of fundraising is just making the Boosters feel important, shaking hands, and letting them be a part of something. Most people are capable of that. If Fleck was here before Coyle he could have just as easily been fired because he wasn't Coyle's guy.

Not thinking Claeys was the head coach of the future is far different than rooting against him. Also, are people actively rooting against past staffs? I don't know how that would work. Like, I hope Glen Mason's boat doesn't sink or Jerry Kill's daughter doesn't lose her job. They aren't part of anything, how would I root against them?

Wait a second, I was called out by initials that I cheered against past coaches.

I don't think I've ever cheered against Claeys. I liked him at the start, but early on (Michigan game) I decided he was not the right person for the job. It was a quick judgement on my side, but between that and several other reasons, I was happy to see him go.

But to say I didn't give him a chance from the start based on something not football related is false.
Also, the only time I would have been close to have "cheered against the Gophers" would have been that Rutgers game where we barely won. I remember where I was listening to that game, and I had a sense of dread about them possibly losing that game more than any excitement of them losing. So if I wasn't cheering for a loss during that game, I'm pretty sure I never did.

I was critical of Claeys for his coaching and his overall management of the team which I didn't feel was appropriate for a Big Ten coach.
So was i critical of Claeys. Yes. Frequently.
Did I wish the team would lose. Pretty much never.

Oh, and by the way, I don't think Brewster was the worst coach ever.
He still played Wisconsin tougher than any coach since.

Oh, and by the way, I don't think Brewster was the worst coach ever.
He still played Wisconsin tougher than any coach since.

This we agree on, with the exception of the year Kill played at Madison with the West title on the line. Thought we were going to win that into the third quarter, and then the wheels came off. Just one example of many games over the years where the trajectory of the program could have changed.

As I have said before, I am a fan of the program. The program endures. Coaches come and go. The way some people on this board talk about Fleck, and defend him passionately, I wonder if they are fans of Fleck 1st, and the program 2nd. With me, the program always comes 1st.

to be clear: I believe that Fleck is a sincere and honest person. He's just too over-the-top for my tastes. Instead of saying "elite" every 15 seconds, if he just dialed it back to once every 5 minutes, I could be fine with that. It's just too much, too loud, too fast for my taste.

that does NOT mean I think Fleck is a bad person. that does NOT mean I think Fleck is a bad coach. It just means that my personal tastes don't jibe with his personality. He is the head coach, and he has every right to install his system. My personal opinion is that he is a bit a of a self-promoter. If players go to the hospital to meet with sick kids, that is wonderful. I personally don't see the need to broadcast it so much. It's a little bit of that "look at me!" mentality.

And - I maintain 100% that - if Fleck was coaching Iowa or Wisconsin, some of his ardent defenders on this board would be making fun of him instead of praising his every word.

I want the program to succeed. If Fleck leads them to a conference title, great. However, if that happens, I will lay even money that Fleck jumps to a higher-paying job. People like Fleck, IMHO, are always looking for that next hill to climb and next challenge to conquer. Again - doesn't mean he's a bad person. I just have a feeling that, if Fleck succeeds, he will not be at MN long-term. We'll see.

As I have said before, I am a fan of the program. The program endures. Coaches come and go. The way some people on this board talk about Fleck, and defend him passionately, I wonder if they are fans of Fleck 1st, and the program 2nd. With me, the program always comes 1st.

to be clear: I believe that Fleck is a sincere and honest person. He's just too over-the-top for my tastes. Instead of saying "elite" every 15 seconds, if he just dialed it back to once every 5 minutes, I could be fine with that. It's just too much, too loud, too fast for my taste.

that does NOT mean I think Fleck is a bad person. that does NOT mean I think Fleck is a bad coach. It just means that my personal tastes don't jibe with his personality. He is the head coach, and he has every right to install his system. My personal opinion is that he is a bit a of a self-promoter. If players go to the hospital to meet with sick kids, that is wonderful. I personally don't see the need to broadcast it so much. It's a little bit of that "look at me!" mentality.

And - I maintain 100% that - if Fleck was coaching Iowa or Wisconsin, some of his ardent defenders on this board would be making fun of him instead of praising his every word.

I want the program to succeed. If Fleck leads them to a conference title, great. However, if that happens, I will lay even money that Fleck jumps to a higher-paying job. People like Fleck, IMHO, are always looking for that next hill to climb and next challenge to conquer. Again - doesn't mean he's a bad person. I just have a feeling that, if Fleck succeeds, he will not be at MN long-term. We'll see.

Align with my thoughts except for the last paragraph. I think if he succeeds here, the U will back up the Brinks truck.

I agree with your assessment. I have seen a lot of coaches come and go and I too feel loyalty to the program and not the individual. The first time I've heard of Fleck was when he was featured on a clip on Sports Center showing a little known, crazy energy, WM coach sprinting on the sidelines alongside of his player who broke out for kick return touchdown. I thought, "what a nut", and got a good laugh from it. Three years later I'm doing my best not to let this self promoter detract from my enjoyment for Gopher Football. I like to hear coaches talk about football (e.g. X's and O's) and not constantly about "culture" and "the process".

I largely agree with this. I'm not going to let things I don't like about Fleck ruin my enjoyment of gopher football.

And, yes, we would absolutely mock him if he coached at Iowa or Wisconsin

You said I was staying away until he proves something to me. I said he doesn't have anything to prove to me. I'm staying away because I don't like his approach - becoming PJU instead of UofM throughout the stadium. Still not cheering against him. Want there to be a foundation for the next coach, be that 2 years or 20 years, just as he inherited.

Most of what PJ does is to generate fan discussion on message boards. So if you really want to register your displeasure with his approach, there is a very clear path forward.

Apparently we should replace him with Tedford

I think this is mostly BS. There are a lot of ugly D1 head coaches. I think his style of communicating would have also worked just fine in fundraising. The HC part of fundraising is just making the Boosters feel important, shaking hands, and letting them be a part of something. Most people are capable of that. If Fleck was here before Coyle he could have just as easily been fired because he wasn't Coyle's guy.

Ugly has nothing to do with it and wasn’t what I was referring to. Of course, there are exceptions.

Top Bottom