Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

It takes a lot of guts for a kid to dare to turn down very tempting college destinations and stay home to help build the local basketball program to national prominence.

You can go for a sure thing and follow the crowd of players to elite schools where national championship appearances are more certain.

Or you can stay home and dare to bring home Big Ten Championships and hopefully a National Championship.

Which one would be more fulfilling?

The WNBA beckons her no matter where she goes to college. Washington Mystics Elena Delle Donne stayed home to play college at Delaware and was the No. 2 pick overall in the 2013 WNBA Draft.
    Last edited by hungan1; 01-31-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

http://www.startribune.com/all-eyes-...ame/505150732/

Taking a broad perspective, the girls’ basketball game between the top two teams in Class 4A, No. 1 Hopkins and No. 2 Wayzata on Friday is simply one of 26 games on the schedule.

But what fun is that?

Let’s call it what it is: The biggest and most highly anticipated matchup of the girls’ basketball season to date.

To wit: Both teams are undefeated with 18-0 records. Both are led by high-level upperclassmen: Paige Bueckers and Dlayla Chakolis of Hopkins, Mimi Schrader and Kallie Theisen of Wayzata. Both have rosters chock full of young talent. Hopkins has two freshmen, Maya Nnaji and Amaya Battle, who have already been offered scholarships from the University of Minnesota. Wayzata's leading scorer, sophomore Jenna Johnson, has been one of the season’s breakout stars.

Default Anyone at the big game tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    http://www.startribune.com/all-eyes-...ame/505150732/

Taking a broad perspective, the girls’ basketball game between the top two teams in Class 4A, No. 1 Hopkins and No. 2 Wayzata on Friday is simply one of 26 games on the schedule.

But what fun is that?

Let’s call it what it is: The biggest and most highly anticipated matchup of the girls’ basketball season to date.

To wit: Both teams are undefeated with 18-0 records. Both are led by high-level upperclassmen: Paige Bueckers and Dlayla Chakolis of Hopkins, Mimi Schrader and Kallie Theisen of Wayzata. Both have rosters chock full of young talent. Hopkins has two freshmen, Maya Nnaji and Amaya Battle, who have already been offered scholarships from the University of Minnesota. Wayzata's leading scorer, sophomore Jenna Johnson, has been one of the season’s breakout stars.
    Wish I could go, this game between Wayzata and Hopkins is going to be a classic contest of great players. I am stuck at work on Friday night (yuck).

Hopkins 90, Wayzata 80

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    Hopkins 90, Wayzata 80
    That was the boys game, Hopkins won 69-66, Bueckers was unreal scoring 43 and some huge buckets at the end. Really fun game

Oh, sorry. I picked it up off a newspaper wire which had it incorrect. Interesting to note that there's not much difference between the #1 and #2 teams. Anyone know if Whalen or any of her staff was in attendance? Or any other renowned DI coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    Oh, sorry. I picked it up off a newspaper wire which had it incorrect. Interesting to note that there's not much difference between the #1 and #2 teams. Anyone know if Whalen or any of her staff was in attendance? Or any other renowned DI coaches?
    Whalen was there.

Blog Entries

Just her?
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    Just her?
    From the Gopher staff yes. Carly was in North Dakota watching Lauren Ware and im sure the other 2 assistants were out watching other recruits too.

And, remember, there are NCAA rules as to how many times a staff may watch a possible recruit. So, they aren't going to be there all the time.

Whalenfan is an insider divulging stuff? What’s the scoop on Hubbard?
    I get the vibe she’s ready to go, but they want to hold her back for a redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    Whalenfan is an insider divulging stuff? What’s the scoop on Hubbard?
    I get the vibe she’s ready to go, but they want to hold her back for a redshirt.
    Definitely not an insider but i was at the hopkins game and saw Whalen and i got friends in Bismarck that told me Carly was there. Pretty common on off nights for the staff to spread out and get to as many games as they can.
    Last edited by whalenfan; 02-02-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whalenfan View Post
    Definitely not an insider but i was at the hopkins game and saw Whalen and i got friends in Bismarck that told me Carly was there. Pretty common on off nights for the staff to spread out and get to as many games as they can.
    There were several players in that game who have been offered by the Gophers so Whalen got her money's worth. Bueckers, Amaya Battle, Maya Nnaji, Jenna Johnson, Mara Braun, Annika Stewart. Hopkins 8th grader Taylor Woodson will no doubt get an offer if she hasn't already.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveOut View Post
    There were several players in that game who have been offered by the Gophers so Whalen got her money's worth. Bueckers, Amaya Battle, Maya Nnaji, Jenna Johnson, Mara Braun, Annika Stewart. Hopkins 8th grader Taylor Woodson will no doubt get an offer if she hasn't already.
    Just curious what other schools are going after Stewart? She can really shoot the rock for a post.

Frankly this offer was a huge surprise to many people. She's big and, as you say, can really shoot it but shows no inclination to bang inside and had trouble keeping up with the pace of her North Tartan teammates last summer.