Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pitino landed Coffey and Oturu, two top 50 recruits. Fleck hasn't landed a single MN 4 star since he's been here and has missed on guys like Carroll, Benhart, Mahlman, Sullivan and (likely) Kaden.

This kind of shows it doesn’t matter if you land the top instate guys. Fleck is doing a fine job. Pitino is on the hot seat.

Sullivan grew up in Ghana until he was 10. He was then adopted by Jake Sullivan, the former Iowa St hoops star, and lived in Iowa for 6 years. He’s only been in Minnesota for the past 18 months. So while it’s disappointing that we didn’t land him, he can hardly be considered an in-state recruit.

It's certainly frustrating when it's a kid in your back yard, but let's move on. He obviously wanted to go somewhere else. So be it.

If Sullivan was on the field for that electric atmosphere, storming of the field by the tens of thousands, and huge win over #4 Penn State, and we still didn't land him.......then he was never coming here.

They only thing Gopher football can do is to play so well in the coming years that we make these kids regret their decision. And that's not a slam on the kid, that's just a challenge to the program to raise the level of everything that is done here, expectations, accomplishments, etc.

We need to make this place a true destination.......so these back yard recruiting wins become much simpler and easier.

Sullivan grew up in Ghana until he was 10. He was then adopted by Jake Sullivan, the former Iowa St hoops star, and lived in Iowa for 6 years. He’s only been in Minnesota for the past 18 months. So while it’s disappointing that we didn’t land him, he can hardly be considered an in-state recruit.

Didn't know he only lived here for 18 months.

So it's kind of like losing Nick Davidson to Stanford back in 2012 or on the basketball side, losing Jericho Sims to Texas.

I had no idea of this backstory, thanks for sharing. It makes one wonder why he didn't commit to ISU.

Pitino landed Coffey and Oturu, two top 50 recruits. Fleck hasn't landed a single MN 4 star since he's been here and has missed on guys like Carroll, Benhart, Mahlman, Sullivan and (likely) Kaden.

Correct and truly shows that it doesn't matter where they come from. Get the best players that want to be gophers. Justice has a great story and wish him nothing but the best.

Good thing this state is a dumpster for high school football material Compared to many other states since these damn local kids don’t wanna stay home way too often. I agree go get kids From wherever the talent is who cares the location

Athan seems a little too excited about a Purdue offer for my liking.

I feel like all the players put together a nice little display on social media for every school they get offers from nowadays. While I agree I get nervous every time I see it from guys we’re trying to land, or guys that have committed to us already, I’m starting to notice this seems to just be a sign of respect shown by player to offering school. I’m really excited about Athan though, kid looks really good. Also, I think his brother also committing here will matter. I’m guessing they want to go to the same school, and if his brother can’t get an offer from Purdue I’m guessing that’s a big factor

Maybe his coach/teacher (Mr Shifley?) is just a big Drew Brees fan/Purdue alum?

per Sid:

•The Gophers football team already has a jump on the Class of 2021, ranked No. 15 in the nation and highlighted by Athan and Dino Kaliakmanis, brothers out of Illinois. Athan is the No. 8-ranked dual threat quarterback in the country.

Go Gophers!!

When do the Gophers coaching staff ever sleep? They have to constantly keep in touch with their recruits and constantly controlling the ebb and flow of poaching attempts.

It is psychological warfare. Somebody can come in at the last moment like TCU's Gary Patterson with Max Duggan, and Arkansas's Bret Bilema with Frank Ragnow and paint a rosier picture in the mind of a recruit.

Private jets help. I imagine Fleck jetting around the country at will.

this was 2 days ago and has since retweeted a bunch of gophers stuff. I wouldn't be real concerned about it at this point

Kaliakmanis looks tremendous in his highlight film. I'm pumped about this kid. The staff has to feel the same way, in having a commitment from him this early.

Arm strength, accuracy, mobility, speed.....there's a lot of things to like on that film. And it looks like their HS team is running an offense with several similar concepts to what we're currently running with Morgan.

Now we just need to build the pieces around him in that class.

Maybe his coach/teacher (Mr Shifley?) is just a big Drew Brees fan/Purdue alum?
Bingo. Shifley is an assistant football coach at Athan's school and a big Purdue fan. Simply just Athan tagging his coach on an offer from coach's favorite school. Nothing to see here.

With the 2020 recruiting class mostly in the books is it too early to start getting excited for 2021?

The top 2 in state recruits are verballed elsewhere and there aren't too many highly rated guys after them. Who are our top priorities? Best chances to land? Had unofficials already? etc.?

Let the 2020 class have their day, but just posting this.

deastern.jpgdeastern2.jpg

With the 2020 recruiting class mostly in the books is it too early to start getting excited for 2021?

The top 2 in state recruits are verballed elsewhere and there aren't too many highly rated guys after them. Who are our top priorities? Best chances to land? Had unofficials already? etc.?

No information, but if we follow prior years, we should see commits start rolling in February

Yeah, top 3 kids in MN isn't looking too good for keeping them in MN.

We need a QB and OL. I think every year, we are likely to see a couple WR, a RB (maybe 2), a TE.

We need a QB and OL. I think every year, we are likely to see a couple WR, a RB (maybe 2), a TE.

We already have a QB for 2021, I can't see us taking 2 QB's

And have 2 WR's committed, one is a soft commit and hoping a team will take him as QB

Does he even have an offer?

247 didn't have a page for him as of two days ago.

I believe he must have an offer if he accepted the offer.

247 seems to be creating his page in the last 24 hours.

I know that Randolph Kpai from Sioux Falls took an unofficial and that Seth Green's brothers are highly rated WR's. Not sure if that means much.

We already have a QB for 2021, I can't see us taking 2 QB's

And have 2 WR's committed, one is a soft commit and hoping a team will take him as QB

Yeah, I just meant in general that's what we need to sign next year at this time. That class needs a QB and OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom