Fleck claims taking Gopher job was "a major pay cut'

The bigger picture - Jim Rome wants to talk to the Gophers football coach on his national show in April.

Enjoy that and don't get lost in the forest.

Jim fricking Rome talking Gopher football in April.

Go Gophers!!

The bigger picture - Jim Rome wants to talk to the Gophers football coach on his national show in April.

Go Gophers!!

On the other hand it's Jim Rome....

Go Gophers!!
Who? Is he related to Bill O'Reilly?

Yup

There's a 50-50 chance that every time PJ speaks it will make you shake your head. It won't matter if he gives the ball to Brooks and Smith enough

Agree; and especially if we are ahead in the game in the second half.

Go Gophers!!

That is pretty cool! ESPN 4 show thing etc etc

Three years ago Jim Rome was talking Western Michigan Football in April coming off a 1-11 season.

Actually both times he was talking PJ Fleck.

If Fleck is as successful as I expect him to be over the next 3 years...having Gophs in the B1G title game after 2019 season...he'll be getting a substantial bump and extension.

Josh and Johnny will be along soon to tell us what to think of this

I'll admit, even I cringed a little when I first read this. I don't mind most of his "Fleckisms" and the "Gopher Talk" but I am starting to see a bit too much hyperbole. I don't mind it as much if there's a reason behind it, but I don't really see the reasoning here. I'd have to find the actual interview to figure out the context of the comment, but I really have no desire to listen to Jim Rome.

It's been well-reported that there were extension discussions before he was hired here, but how much and how long are two things we aren't privy to. Maybe it was a major pay cut from what was on the table. But what defines major?

Would this be as big of a story if he simply left out the word major?

Really dumb thing to say. And a sign he doesn't understand this market. People will forever resent Joe Mauer for making $23 million and Latrell Sprewell for saying he can't feed his family on $14 million. You can bet Reusse & company will bring this up at every opportunity.

The point is, he valued a chance to coach at the highest level more than money. That's good. Besides, WMU could have offered him a 10 year contract, which in total would be worth more. But nobody knows, so we either are pessimistic and assume he's lying or we take the statement as is. If he's trying to say that a chance to win a championship is more important than money & you want to spin that into something negative, you might need a hug.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Then you say 'I could have been coach-for-life at WMU, but I wanted a chance to win the B1G' or something similar. Not 'I took a pay cut to come here' which is absurd on its face.

Then you say 'I could have been coach-for-life at WMU, but I wanted a chance to win the B1G' or something similar. Not 'I took a pay cut to come here' which is absurd on its face.
Ya, he probably could have uttered the words differently. But the sentiment behind the words is good.

The point is, he valued a chance to coach at the highest level more than money.

Yeah, that is the definitely the point he was trying to make. However, if the "took a major pay cut" statement isn't true (& I think we all agree it almost certainly isn't true) then the point he actually made is far different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that is the definitely the point he was trying to make. However, if the "took a major pay cut" statement isn't true (& I think we all agree it almost certainly isn't true) then the point he actually made is far different.

Maybe he's just really bad at math and actually thinks he took a pay cut?

Really dumb thing to say. And a sign he doesn't understand this market. People will forever resent Joe Mauer for making $23 million and Latrell Sprewell for saying he can't feed his family on $14 million. You can bet Reusse & company will bring this up at every opportunity.

People resent Joe Mauer because he's one of the worst everyday players in baseball and is among the highest-paid. If he actually produced even close to his compensation, no one would care.

And what Sprewell said was a stupid thing to say by anyone earning above a subsistence level, whether they're making $40,000 or $14 million.

Hey PJ, this is what is referred to as a self inflicted wound. Don't do that. There is no reason to do that.
Agreed. Unfortunately the more you talk , the more mistakes he will make.

Agreed. Unfortunately the more you talk , the more mistakes he will make.

He talks a lot, and the media stage is much, much bigger now for him as a B1G HC.

Overall, Fleck's messaging has been very good. The pay cut comment was an absolutely stupid thing to say with no upside whatsoever. I hope we never hear it again. As smooth as he typically is, I am surprised at the statement.

Here's the complete quote:

"You can take whatever story you come from, whatever background you come from, whatever issues you've had and you can let it fuel you or you can let it stop you, and I want (the players) to embrace it, and never ignore it, but embrace it and respond the way we want them to, and that's what we mean about the craft. We have something to prove...we're here to prove to ourselves that we can accomplish anything.

"And that's one of the reasons why I took this job - for my own children--my four kids at home...so that they know that, you know what, dad had to sacrifice a lot and maybe the road that dad took might be a little bit harder, but he always did it, alright, because he chased his dream. He didn't chase the money. I took a major pay cut to come to the University of Minnesota, which nobody knows, alright, with the contract I was possibly gonna get at Western Michigan. It was the dream--it was the dream more than the money part. And that's what I want our players to understand..."

And a link if you want to listen to the interview (it's under 4/6 - quote is from the end of the interview)

http://jimrome.com/audio/the-jim-rome-show/

Here's the complete quote:

"You can take whatever story you come from, whatever background you come from, whatever issues you've had and you can let it fuel you or you can let it stop you, and I want (the players) to embrace it, and never ignore it, but embrace it and respond the way we want them to, and that's what we mean about the craft. We have something to prove...we're here to prove to ourselves that we can accomplish anything.

"And that's one of the reasons why I took this job - for my own children--my four kids at home...so that they know that, you know what, dad had to sacrifice a lot and maybe the road that dad took might be a little bit harder, but he always did it, alright, because he chased his dream. He didn't chase the money. I took a major pay cut to come to the University of Minnesota, which nobody knows, alright, with the contract I was possibly gonna get at Western Michigan. It was the dream--it was the dream more than the money part. And that's what I want our players to understand..."

And a link if you want to listen to the interview (it's under 4/6 - quote is from the end of the interview)

http://jimrome.com/audio/the-jim-rome-show/

He's going to have to buy the apples in bags, as opposed to the individual ones. The kids might cry.

Honestly, this is silly.

Top Bottom