***OFFICIAL INDIANA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Ewert being a pessimist is our team's muse. 3-0 since he said they'd finish the season on a 2-6 streak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's a loser. Not worth confronting. Just enjoy his stupidity.

Enjoy the ride people. Stop your complaining and enjoy the ride! RTB

I was listening online and thought all was lost when Lynch went out. Tehn lost again when they made the went ahead at the end but Springs got a little luck and I take the victory. Always good to beat Indiana.

Guess you will count this as a loss, eh Ewert???

So pleased to have you with your constantly negative attitude around.
You can misrepresent my realistic expectations as negative, bu the truth is that sooner or later every fan looks at the results of their sports team and feels the edge come off their enthusiasm.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You can misrepresent my realistic expectations as negative, bu the truth is that sooner or later every fan looks at the results of their sports team and feels the edge come off their enthusiasm.

Lol. I asked you to name the 6 losses because you had no idea who they even had left on the schedule. You came up with a ridiculous list and you are being exposed. You're not being realistic if you're also ignoring every statistical model that showed the gophers as favorites in these games, you're just being a pessimist and contrarian because it's your bit.

Now 5-5 in close late (1 possession game under 5 minutes) after losing 4 of those in a row.

Oh, your predicting a loss tonight was just your "realistic expectations"??? And your prediction of the team going 6-12 in conference was just your "realistic expectations"??? Well, if they lose their last 5 games in a row you will only be off by 1 game, lol.

And your prediction that they'd finish out 2-6??? They'd have to lose all 5 of their remaining games for you to again, be just one game off.

Seems to me that you simply do not have a clue what you are talking about.

ITehn lost again when they made the went ahead at the end but Springs got a little luck and I take the victory.

It wasn't luck. Curry jumped in and tapped the ball to him. Otherwise it would have been an Indiana defensive rebound and game over.

Lol. I remember that feeling in Brew's last year.

IU's season was already shot, I want Crean gone, my undergrad (SD State) is bad this year, Minnesota is my only chance of making the tournament and losing this would've been a bad hit to the resume.

Lol. I asked you to name the 6 losses because you had no idea who they even had left on the schedule. You came up with a ridiculous list and you are being exposed. You're not being realistic if you're also ignoring every statistical model that showed the gophers as favorites in these games, you're just being a pessimist and contrarian because it's your bit.
Hey, you bit, not me.

I was listening online and thought all was lost when Lynch went out. Tehn lost again when they made the went ahead at the end but Springs got a little luck and I take the victory. Always good to beat Indiana.

The one good thing about Lynch fouling out 8 times in 13 big ten games is that our team is used to him not being on the court and we have learned how to win without him. How about Curry stepping into those tough spots and playing well!

If you can't enjoy wins, why continue to watch? It makes no sense to me.

The one good thing about Lynch fouling out 8 times in 13 big ten games is that our team is used to him not being on the court and we have learned how to win without him. How about Curry stepping into those tough spots and playing well!

It does seem like Curry makes a huge play every time Lynch fouls out.

Curry has been very good all year, a precocious freshman with a high ceiling. Springs had a roller coaster game with more downs than ups...but then, damn.
This one feels really good. Nate was a star. Murphy was the good Murph. I love this team. Stay tuned.

If you can't enjoy wins, why continue to watch? It makes no sense to me.

Why do so many of you insist on arguing with this guy all of the time? That's a colossal waste of time. Are your lives so devoid of drama or moments of needed assertiveness that you feel compelled to argue with worthless twits online?

What a great finish! The Gophers had quick offensive answers on their last ~four possessions. I thought numero 31 was leading with his non dribble elbow whenever he got the ball in the post.
Take that John Cougar Mellencamp!

Well, that was emotionally draining, but I'll take it! Not our greatest game, but it was still a heck of a game.

It wasn't luck. Curry jumped in and tapped the ball to him. Otherwise it would have been an Indiana defensive rebound and game over.
Great moment - love seeing Curry contribute. I can see that Indiana will struggle on nights when 31 actually gets called for fouls and traveling.

You will never ever hear me apologize for a Big ten win. Obviously there are things gophers could have done better tonight. But hopefully they improve on them and win another one Sunday

That was an ugly win but it still counts just like any other win in the standings. It's always nice when you can have an off game and still win.

The team needs to learn how to push through adversity. It seems like every time the refs blow a call or they make dumb mistake, they let it get to their head and make more mistakes.

Hopefully we can shake off all of the bad from this game and come out ready to win on Sunday.

House’s Report: Mason's Big Game, Springs' Thrilling Lay-Up Give Gophers Big Home Win

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/758343?referrer_id=

The Minnesota Golden Gophers extended their winning streak to four games Wednesday after a 75-74 win over the Indiana Hoosiers. Nate Mason led the way with 30 points and Amir Coffey added 17 points (all in the second half). A last second follow-up by Akeem Springs propelled the Gophers to a last-second victory. Minnesota has now improved their Big Ten record to 7-6, drastically improving their NCAA tournament chances.

The Rundown
It was a sloppy start for the Gophers, who shot just 1-for-8 (13%) from the floor at the first TV timeout. Akeem Springs was 0-for-4 from the field and Nate Mason was keeping the Gophers in the game, scoring six of the first ten Minnesota points. It didn’t get much better as the half progressed and the Gophers trailed by as many as ten points. Minnesota was playing very fast and wasn’t taking care of the basketball. Indiana had frequent offensive rebounding spells and it led to more opportunities for the Hoosiers to score. At the eight-minute mark of the first half, the Gophers were shooting 3-for-18 from the field and had seven total turnovers. Indiana was on a 12-0 run that stretched over three minutes and Minnesota went 4:45 without scoring until Reggie Lynch finished at the rim.

The Gophers finally awoke after several tough finishes around the rim by Reggie Lynch and an acrobatic Nate Mason layup. Minnesota trailed by just four with 3:39 left in the first half. A long three-pointer by Nate Mason and a tough offensive board and putback by Jordan Murphy pulled the Gophers within one point. Minnesota went on a 13-3 run to end the half and entered the locker room with a 33-29 lead. They led by four points, despite receiving a combined zero points from Amir Coffey and Akeem Springs.

A 9-0 run sparked by a Juwan Morgan three-pointer put the Hoosiers on top, 51-49, with 10:07 left in the second half. Moments later, a tough piece of defense by Eric Curry led to a steal and easy Nate Mason layup to knot the game at 53. Indiana would take a five-point lead after Akeem Springs got lost hedging a screen with Reggie Lynch and James Blackmon Jr. drilled a three-pointer with 4:03 left to play.

Resiliency in the end
In the final sequence, Eric Curry picked up a steal in the corner, Nate Mason pushed it ahead in transition, and a lose ball foul on the offensive glass sent Jordan Murphy to the line for two free throws. He hit them both and the Gophers led 71-70 with under a minute left. A jumper by Thomas Bryant put the Hoosiers up by one point, but a Nate Mason layup gave Minnesota a 73-72 advantage. Bryant was fouled on the next possession and hit two free throws, but a follow-up by Akeem Springs off his own miss gave the Gophers a 75-74 lead with 3.2 seconds left. Indiana couldn’t get a good look off the in-bound and the Gophers won 75-74.

Nate Mason is on fire
There were patches this season where point guard Nate Mason really struggled to produce on a consistent basis. Wednesday night was a different story. Mason was finishing strong at the rim and drilled several key three-pointers, which fueled his 18 first half points. When he can consistently score and attack off the dribble, the Gophers are a more dynamic threat on offense. Mason took more quality shots and didn’t force opportunities that weren’t there. He played like an experienced point guard and put the entire team on his back. His scoring surge single-handedly kept the Gophers within striking distance. In the second half, he beautifully dropped a pass to Amir Coffey in transition and shook a defender off the dribble to finish strong at the rim. He hit a clutch layup with under a minute remaining, which helped fuel the Gophers to a victory. He had 30 points and four assists, making up for the four-point output from Akeem Springs.

Reggie Lynch protecting the rim early on defense
Indiana was really attacking the rim early in the game, but Reggie Lynch was picking up blocked shots and protecting the paint. Over the last three games, he has been doing a great job of rotating on defense and causing disruptions. Where Lynch had trouble was on the glass. He had great position, but Indiana had five offensive boards early in the game. It allowed the Hoosiers to keep possessions alive, leading to second chance points. However, Lynch’s tough finishes around the rim and timely defense was a key to Minnesota’s late first half surge. In the second half, Lynch got into foul trouble and had to exit after he fouled out. This has been a problem all year, but the Gophers were able overcome it.

Minnesota held Indiana star big-man Thomas Bryant to zero points with 12:44 left. Entering the game, Bryant was averaging 14.9 points per game and both Reggie Lynch/Bakary Konate did a great job of walling up on him. Bryant had just 8 points in the game it was a huge difference-maker for the Gophers. In addition, Jordan Murphy was a rebounding machine. He had 14 points and 15 rebounds in 33 minutes and continues to be active on both ends of the floor. His play over the last few games has been a huge lift to the entire team.

Dupree McBrayer is struggling, Springs stone cold
It seems like Dupree McBrayer’s performance has been declining every game. He has displayed poor shot selection and has been trying to drive hard to the rim when opportunities aren’t available. He is trying to attack too much and is forcing the basketball into tight windows. McBrayer hasn’t been playing within his role and it has progressively gotten worse over the last few games. He needs to start playing like he did early in the season to provide more depth at guard for the Gophers.

Normally it takes ten gallons of water to put out the Akeem Springs fire, but tonight, he was frozen in the first half. He went 0-for-7 from the floor and couldn’t hit any shots. He missed all three of his first half three-pointers and several of his shots around the rim wouldn’t fall. However, Nate Mason picked up the scoring slack for the Gophers with both Springs and Amir Coffey tallying zero points in the first half. However, Coffey had 17 second half points and Springs had the biggest shot of the game as he made the follow-up to his own miss with seconds left to propel the Gophers to victory. Springs kept battling and made the big shot when it mattered most, despite going 2-for-13 from the floor in the game.

What’s Next?
The Gophers will host the Michigan Wolverines at Williams Arena on Sunday with the tip slated for 6 p.m. The game will be broadcast on Big Ten Network.

Great win for the Gophers tonight. Juwan Morgan got caught standing and watching on the last shot and if he boxes Eric Curry out, the game is probably over. Instead, Curry gets the big tip to Springs, who followed his own shot for the game-winner. Pitino said in the post game there was an inexplicable miscommunication during a timeout. There was supposed to be a high ball screen for Coffey, but it never came and they improvised. It happens, even to the best teams.

Curry was outstanding on defense tonight, and the efforts to give help on Thomas Bryant were effective. He was scoreless in the first half and only had 8 for the game. Bryant is the heart and soul of that team. Indiana shot under 35 percent from the field for the game. Konate also was big on the defensive end and is really embracing his limited role. Reggie Lynch needs to remember to value his playing time more. Just put your hands straight up in the lane, 3 of his fouls were from extending his arms after the shot. Luckily, Murphy, Curry and Konate stepped up for him.

Nate Mason was fantastic tonight, having an answer for every big Indiana basket down the stretch. He attacked the hoop at every opportunity and either got a lay-up or went to the line. Great to see the squad embrace the big moment in the closing minutes when in the past they've crumbled.

Gophers are 2 wins away from going to the Big Dance without having to sweat anything going into the Big Ten Tournament. Win your 3 remaining home games and you're 10-8 in the league with 22 wins overall at worst. Good spot to be in.

What a game. For Springs/Pree/Lynch to play the way they did and still pull it out speaks volumes. Springs and Pree might have set a record for most substitutions for one another in single game. As bad as they were, Coffey, Murph and Mason were other side of the coin. If Mason isn't in all B10 convo there's something very wrong (not that it really matters in grand scheme of things, but he does deserve recognition!). Just keep getting better boys, all u can do.

Top Bottom