Fox 9: AD Mark Coyle belives better days ahead for Gophers Football

Didn't Fleck say that Minnesota was his dream job, and they when he heard it was open he and his wife knew this was the place ?
Well you better ask Curveball b/c he said it was all about the money.
Just b/c he said it was a "dream job", and frankly I took that to mean the right situation in the B1G, doesn't mean he was going to take the job site unseen. He talked in depth about Coyle's vision for the program and that was it, he knew then.
If your statement or assumption were true, he would've taken the job under any circumstances b/c it's his dream job. But he didn't. He specifically mentioned his shared vision with Coyle as THE reason for making the decision to take the job.

I'm completely serious. I'm seeing a lot of outrage, but I'm not seeing any rational explanations as to why a head coach would chose to work for an AD that he thought was a "sleazeball".
Curveball says it was simply for the money. Wrong! <b>Coaches don't take jobs just b/c of the money, </b>and I'd question his logic or character if he did. Fleck was going to make a bunch of money at his next job wherever that may have been. <b>Fleck specifically pointed out his mutual vision for the program with Coyle as being the key factor in his decision to take this job. </b>
We can believe your non-theories or money theory, or we can believe Fleck's own words. Are you saying he's just BSing us?

You didn't say your age, but based on the above post I am guessing you are a big boy of 7 or 8. Some of the most naive statements I have read in a while. Thanks for the laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't say your age, but based on the above post I am guessing you are a big boy of 7 or 8. Some of the most naive statements I have read in a while. Thanks for the laugh.

Key word "just" for the money. And, as I said, he was going to have good options next year. Maybe Nebraska. Every year, about 20+% of P5 head coaching jobs become available. He was going to be wealthy, it was just a question of where.
But maybe he wouldn't like the AD as much as he appears to really like Coyle.
Appreciate your sarcasm though.
And, you didn't say your age, but based on the depth of your arguments, it's at least 1/2 mine.

Key word "just" for the money. And, as I said, he was going to have good options next year. Maybe Nebraska. Every year, about 20+% of P5 head coaching jobs become available. He was going to be wealthy, it was just a question of where.
And, you didn't say your age, but based on the depth of your arguments, it's at least 1/2 mine.

One of the more difficult sentences I've ever had to read on GH. In an emotional way. Comprehension was not a problem.

Seriously, I read GH primarily for takes like this. They make my day.

Your "depth" is that some guy on the day he just accepted a job worth $3.5M/year said he likes his boss and shares his vision - the dude who just hired him for said $3.5M. He then said to the media that covers that job that this was his dream job. AND, you find it absurd that someone would think he was just saying those things and didn't mean them after careful evaluation. AND you find it absurd he would take a job that is a huge stepping stone from where he was at what might be the height of his demand for the money. $3.5 Million. That is with an "M". I honestly wish I could see the world through your eyes. Now go to bed - the bus comes by early.

You're arguing with yourself. I hope you have a pleasent evening

From articles recapping Fleck's introductory press conference:
“People ask me all the time, why Minnesota?” Fleck said. “Because we share a vision of winning a national championship. We share a vision of winning the Big Ten West. We share a vision of winning the Big Ten and having Rose Bowls.”

Fleck didn’t describe his work as a rebuild, but rather a culture change. “I am not here to change tradition. I am here to change a culture.” He acknowledged that change will be hard, because “everybody wants change until you get change.” And he assured the assembled crowd at the press conference that “change has arrived.”

Gee, culture change. Sounds a lot like Coyle, no?

From articles recapping Fleck's introductory press conference:
“People ask me all the time, why Minnesota?” Fleck said. “Because we share a vision of winning a national championship. We share a vision of winning the Big Ten West. We share a vision of winning the Big Ten and having Rose Bowls.”

Fleck didn’t describe his work as a rebuild, but rather a culture change. “I am not here to change tradition. I am here to change a culture.” He acknowledged that change will be hard, because “everybody wants change until you get change.” And he assured the assembled crowd at the press conference that “change has arrived.”

Gee, culture change. Sounds a lot like Coyle, no?

You don't think he would have said this about any conference he got a job in? Pretty easy to sub SEC west or Pac10 championships etc. In fact I bet if you google search what to say in a press conference accepting a football coach job it has that as a template with some blanks to put MN and B1G.

You don't think he would have said this about any conference he got a job in? Pretty easy to sub SEC west or Pac10 championships etc. In fact I bet if you google search what to say in a press conference accepting a football coach job it has that as a template with some blanks to put MN and B1G.
Are you saying that he's just saying that b/c it's the thing to say? Not b/c he's sincere?

Are you saying that he's just saying that b/c it's the thing to say? Not b/c he's sincere?

He may very well be sincere but he was obviously just saying that because it is the thing to say. That is completely obvious whether he believes he will win championships or not.

I won't speak for Bottlebass, but that is exactly what I'm saying.

He may very well be sincere but he was obviously just saying that because it is the thing to say. That is completely obvious whether he believes he will win championships or not.
Tell that to his face. I dare ya!

True Story.
I worked for a company that was bought by another company. The new owners asked me if I liked my job and if I would like to keep it. Of course I said I loved it and wanted to stay on. I was then asked to speak to the rest of the company at the initial gathering about the new owners/management team and tell the others what I thought and keep them from worrying too much. I wasn't excited about the new ownership, but what do you think I said? I also didn't think anyone was buying what I was saying as sincere. Why would they?

True Story.
I worked for a company that was bought by another company. The new owners asked me if I liked my job and if I would like to keep it. Of course I said I loved it and wanted to stay on. I was then asked to speak to the rest of the company at the initial gathering about the new owners/management team and tell the others what I thought and keep them from worrying too much. I wasn't excited about the new ownership, but what do you think I said? I also didn't think anyone was buying what I was saying as sincere. Why would they?

That was you?

Tell that to his face. I dare ya!

Here's how we will know that Fleck is here because he "likes Coyle" -- as difficult as that is to say. If Fleck wins a Big 10 championship and doesn't ask for a raise, but signs a contract extension. He's here because he likes Coyle. Guess what. That's not gonna happen.

Here's how we will know that Fleck is here because he "likes Coyle" -- as difficult as that is to say. If Fleck wins a Big 10 championship and doesn't ask for a raise, but signs a contract extension. He's here because he likes Coyle. Guess what. That's not gonna happen.
I never said he's only here b/c he likes Coyle, I said that Fleck said that the shared vision was the deciding factor. Then, he went on to affirm what Coyle was saying about a culture change.

True Story.

Not a good analogy. Fleck has lots of opportunities. You don't.

Please, someone give me an concrete example of how Fleck has not aligned himself with Coyle. They're joined at the hip, and I don't believe Fleck has any concerns about Coyle's character or he wouldn't have taken the job.

Not a good analogy. Fleck has lots of opportunities. You don't.

Oh, be sure that our situations are far different. Just imagine what I would have said for $3.5M. The point being that everyone shoves their nose up their new boss's arse when taking a new job. PJF included.

What other job offers did he have to choose from? Seems like they all passed him by before he got the MN offer....
Fleck said that he declined 5 P5 offers to interview in the last two years. Are you questioning that too?

I'm completely serious. I'm seeing a lot of outrage, but I'm not seeing any rational explanations as to why a head coach would chose to work for an AD that he thought was a "sleazeball".
Curveball says it was simply for the money. Wrong! Coaches don't take jobs just b/c of the money, and I'd question his logic or character if he did. Fleck was going to make a bunch of money at his next job wherever that may have been. Fleck specifically pointed out his mutual vision for the program with Coyle as being the key factor in his decision to take this job.
We can believe your non-theories or money theory, or we can believe Fleck's own words. Are you saying he's just BSing us?

What did you expect him to say, that he had a different vision than the AD that just made him a millionaire? You are not serious...

The only enjoyable post in the entire thread. [emoji16]

No, it was the best of many enjoyable posts. Seriously, this thread is Gold.

Offers? Where?
He said it, not me. And, he didn't say who. Coaches don't kiss and tell. It appears that you are questioning Fleck's character too.

Please, someone give me an concrete example of how Fleck has not aligned himself with Coyle. They're joined at the hip, and I don't believe Fleck has any concerns about Coyle's character or he wouldn't have taken the job.

Dude, that's just a silly, silly statement.

He said it, not me. And, he didn't say who. Coaches don't kiss and tell. It appears that you are questioning Fleck's character too.

He said he loved Kalamazoo and planned to spend many years there...oh, wait...

Top Bottom