Shooter: Cleays isn’t doing well since his controversial dismissal, moving to Kansas

He received a parting gift of 3.1 million. That has some value.

People lacking in leadership skills can lie, deceive and act on their own selfish interests. But as long as they give money away, it's okay. Got it.

My feelings about TC being let go are much less about the fact it happened, and much more to do with how it was done. When TC let Limey go, he did it as soon as he could and prior to the bowl game so that Limey had the best opportunity to find a new gig for the following year. Though TC built a top 25 defense in the same time that Limey did very little with the offense and left the cupboard nearly bare at QB, WR and OL, TC was very respectful about the decision. Meanwhile, TC gets absolutely shafted by the administration on his way out. I will be a huge fan of PJF and our program. But what the administration publicly did to TC is classless and inexcusable.
The issue raised by this thread was that TC wasn't emotionally handling the firing well. Getting fired isn't any less hard on someone regardless of exactly how it occurs. Limegrover was fired the day after the last game. It took him months to find a new job. TC has plenty of time to find a new job and has plenty of money to bridge him to that point.
My impression of TC isn't as favorable as many here, so I'm not as sympathic to his situation. I don't think Limegrover or Zebroski felt great after getting fired, and I didn't see TC publicly agonizing over having issued them their fate.

You Lisa the point. Mistakes were made. Mr. Claeys is a victim. Too. But life goes on and for him..... quite comfortably

The issue raised by this thread was that TC wasn't emotionally handling the firing well. Getting fired isn't any less hard on someone regardless of exactly how it occurs. Limegrover was fired the day after the last game. It took him months to find a new job. TC has plenty of time to find a new job and has plenty of money to bridge him to that point.
My impression of TC isn't as favorable as many here, so I'm not as sympathic to his situation. I don't think Limegrover or Zebroski felt great after getting fired, and I didn't see TC publicly agonizing over having issued them their fate.

Can you honestly make a comparison between how TC was let go and Limey and Z were let go? I'm not trying to be an ass. But from what I read and witnessed, TC was treated like a blight on the entire program. Not so with the others. Even if the end result is the same, it most definitely matters personally and publicly how one is let go. Limey's and Z's were elegantly and respectfully done. TC's... not so much.

I think his buyout was $500k.

I can see why people are confused about that point, seeing as the inarticulate AD left all the reporters at the press conference completely confused on the issue, and the athletic office had to issue a clarification to explain what the AD was unable to explain in the press conference. that is a nice way of saying that Mark Coyle is such a poor public speaker that he couldn't tell you the time of day if he was looking at his watch.

Some much to say here, I do feel bad for Coach Claeys as coaching IS his entire life. It is so much easier to get over a firing or any other crisis in your life when you have the support system of a loving spouse and children. Tracy doesn't have that at this point of his life. He doesn't have small children to make him laugh and help prioritize what is important in life which would certainly soften the blow. The money is a nice consolation, but it doesn't replace having a purpose every day and right now coaching and being around other coaches and kids is his entire life.

If his only criticism walking out the door is to knock the winters in Minnesota then I would say he handled it pretty well. Minnesota winters suck, there is no debate about that!

I wish TC all the best and anyone that has expressed differently needs to take lessons on how to be a better human being. I look forward to following his career in the future and wish him all the best.

The comparison to Limegrover not being renewed before the bowl game and Claeys being lied to and openly mistreated is just wrong. There is no comparison.

Not only do you not know this for sure, but you are probably wrong. I am not sure if you were one of the guys sticking up for Claeys after losing to Wisconsin (I was)?

Tracy let this situation play him from when he first heard about it back in September until the boycott, and I am sorry but he has to own that. He was in a tough spot with a short contract and small buyout and the pressure to succeed was high I am sure.

I don't dislike Tracy but I understand why the decision to let him go had to be made.

Not only do you not know this for sure, but you are probably wrong. I am not sure if you were one of the guys sticking up for Claeys after losing to Wisconsin (I was)?

Tracy let this situation play him from when he first heard about it back in September until the boycott, and I am sorry but he has to own that. He was in a tough spot with a short contract and small buyout and the pressure to succeed was high I am sure.

I don't dislike Tracy but I understand why the decision to let him go had to be made.
Tracy trusted his AD in the process of dealing with the kids. He suspended them from games. He complied with everything Coyle asked from him.
Coyle played on Claeys loyalty and the threw Claeys under the bus at the first opportunity while Claeys was in San Diego.
Your support of Coyle is disturbing.

Never protected any males that ran a train. Nice diversion from your own story.

Nor did I protect the methods of use by Kaler or Coyle. Neither you or I, or anyone knows exactly what was said between Kaler, Coyle, and Claeys and likely never will. There's no proof of anyone lying. But that's the story you need to tell yourself to feel like Claeys was wronged.

Tracy trusted his AD in the process of dealing with the kids. He suspended them from games. He complied with everything Coyle asked from him.
Coyle played on Claeys loyalty and the threw Claeys under the bus at the first opportunity while Claeys was in San Diego.
Your support of Coyle is disturbing.

Tracy failed to keep the standards of the program up to a high enough level for the average student, alumni, and resident. That is on the coach. And then instead of trying to make it right he sided with the offenders.

Tracy failed to keep the standards of the program up to a high enough level for the average student, alumni, and resident. That is on the coach. And then instead of trying to make it right he sided with the offenders.
Not only that, but his support of the boycott was in direct contradiction to his agreement with his bosses that the suspensions will be enforced.

4 people out of 110 kids on one night in September, out of over 1000 days being a coach at the U, and you judge that as him failing.
smh, I couldn't make up that kind of stupid, yet here you are spewing it on the Gopherhole.
I pray to god you aren't a parent.

I can see why people are confused about that point, seeing as the inarticulate AD left all the reporters at the press conference completely confused on the issue, and the athletic office had to issue a clarification to explain what the AD was unable to explain in the press conference. that is a nice way of saying that Mark Coyle is such a poor public speaker that he couldn't tell you the time of day if he was looking at his watch.

Yeah his answers during the press conference were completely misleading. He has a real problem with direct and articulate answers which is an adaptation to surfing a bureaucracy of plausible deniability his entire adult life.

Just say something normal humans will understand such as " we will honor his buyout clause" rather than honor his contract. There is an important distinction there. The same applies to the assistant contracts. Do they receive full benefits and salary for another contract year, or not? I'm totally confused.

It is not surprising Coyle had the team mutiny against him, HMS Bounty-style. He says too little or says it in such a roundabout way nobody understands, while Kaler says too much.

4 people out of 110 kids on one night in September, out of over 1000 days being a coach at the U, and you judge that as him failing.
smh, I couldn't make up that kind of stupid, yet here you are spewing it on the Gopherhole.
Your inability to have a respectful disagreement with someone of a differing opinion without name-calling doesn't reflect well on your intellect. Check yourself before calling others out.

You were there?

Let's make you coach...you get the news 4 or 5 of your players had consensual sex with a girl and she changed her mind. Easy decision for you?
Kick them off the team? Law enforcement looks at it and says there is nothing here. At this point you've kicked the guys off the team. How do you feel about that? The EOAA does it's report and adds 5 guys who weren't there to the mix and reaches a different conclusion. You kicking the additional five off now too? Let me just say if that's how you stand behind your players, you won't have many playing for you.
It's slam dunk easy if 10 guys jumped out of the bushes and pinned a girl down. According to police comments regarding the video the girl appeared to be enjoying herself. Yes, it gets all murky but you got 5 guys suspended who reportedly were not there. As a coach, I'm fighting for those guys. It's real easy for anyone to say, oh so you think it's okay for guys to rape a girl...it's not that simple. What if it was consensual? What if 5 were not there?
That's without the lies, bumbling stumbling of Coyle and Kaler. Without The public painting of all 10 as rapists. Without The process with one only side heard without counsel or advice. True, Things don't look good for them...so you'd just wash hands of 10 guys and make dang sure you didn't get fired?
That's somebody making decisions for money...not somebody doing the right thing, standing up for due process and his players.
I disagree with your conclusions and I respect Tracy Clayes honest intentions. Doing the right thing is usually harder. Getting ridiculed for it comes with the territory.

Tracy already knew the football program was on the EOAA watch list based on the email that was made public. So it sounds like it wasn't the only incident in 1,000 days. Even if it was, it was a bad enough incident that he should have dealt with it better.

Yep a parent and my daughter who attends the U was disturbed by this incident and how Claeys mishandled it. I think we have done a pretty decent job of parenting, but thank you.

You are part of a stubborn minority on this topic. I wish Claeys and the other coaches success and I am hopeful that Fleck can bring more success and get all of the fans who were turned off by this incident back to being fans again.

TC is gone.

Thanks for your time and effort. Thanks for leaving the program in better shape then when you came to the u of M years ago. Thanks for taking the program through a tough time of the previous coach needing to abruptly resign. Thanks for maintaining to the point where Minnesota seems to have actually gotten one of their top choices for coach for a change.

That is all Coyle should have said.
If he has said that the entire program would feel different right now.

Tracy already knew the football program was on the EOAA watch list based on the email that was made public. So it sounds like it wasn't the only incident in 1,000 days. Even if it was, it was a bad enough incident that he should have dealt with it better.

Yep a parent and my daughter who attends the U was disturbed by this incident and how Claeys mishandled it. I think we have done a pretty decent job of parenting, but thank you.

You are part of a stubborn minority on this topic. I wish Claeys and the other coaches success and I am hopeful that Fleck can bring more success and get all of the fans who were turned off by this incident back to being fans again.
See 60's Guy for my response. Your short-sighted approach is sad.
Let's make you coach...you get the news 4 or 5 of your players had consensual sex with a girl and she changed her mind. Easy decision for you?
Kick them off the team? Law enforcement looks at it and says there is nothing here. At this point you've kicked the guys off the team. How do you feel about that? The EOAA does it's report and adds 5 guys who weren't there to the mix and reaches a different conclusion. You kicking the additional five off now too? Let me just say if that's how you stand behind your players, you won't have many playing for you.
It's slam dunk easy if 10 guys jumped out of the bushes and pinned a girl down. According to police comments regarding the video the girl appeared to be enjoying herself. Yes, it gets all murky but you got 5 guys suspended who reportedly were not there. As a coach, I'm fighting for those guys. It's real easy for anyone to say, oh so you think it's okay for guys to rape a girl...it's not that simple. What if it was consensual? What if 5 were not there?
That's without the lies, bumbling stumbling of Coyle and Kaler. Without The public painting of all 10 as rapists. Without The process with one only side heard without counsel or advice. True, Things don't look good for them...so you'd just wash hands of 10 guys and make dang sure you didn't get fired?
That's somebody making decisions for money...not somebody doing the right thing, standing up for due process and his players.
I disagree with your conclusions and I respect Tracy Clayes honest intentions. Doing the right thing is usually harder. Getting ridiculed for it comes with the territory.

Best of luck Claeys! Hope you get it figured out!

Hard to feel bad for a guy who ripped on MN weather on his way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously? You are going to discount everything he did here because he said, 'Enjoy the weather?'. I always say if I win the lottery, I will slap my a**cheeks as I run out of my place of employment and get on an airplane to somewhere warm. That's kind of what Claeys did. My problem is that I don't buy lottery tickets.

Seriously? You are going to discount everything he did here because he said, 'Enjoy the weather?'. I always say if I win the lottery, I will slap my a**cheeks as I run out of my place of employment and get on an airplane to somewhere warm. That's kind of what Claeys did. My problem is that I don't buy lottery tickets.

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom