Assistant Coaches - who stays, who goes, who does Fleck bring with him?

Sherels is different, he is a Minnesota guy! He's not a outsider that was brought in when Kill got here. So there's a good chance he will be on the next staff.

No one will be on Fleck's staff that was on Claeys especially since the rumor is that while at NIU he rubbed those guys the wrong way. Kill was not a fan of Fleck and I am sure the other coaches feel the same way. Not sure what he did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's because he wasn't 300+lbs, had a personality and doesnt like to play the victim.

No one will be on Fleck's staff that was on Claeys especially since the rumor is that while at NIU he rubbed those guys the wrong way. Kill was not a fan of Fleck and I am sure the other coaches feel the same way. Not sure what he did.

Are you basing this solely on the Reusse article or is there some coroboration from someone that dosn't live in a can and sing "I Love Trash"?

Right... If Kill wasn't a fan for Fleck, then why did Kill keep him on his staff for a second year plus give him a promotion in duties?

Right... If Kill wasn't a fan for Fleck, then why did Kill keep him on his staff for a second year plus give him a promotion in duties?

Good recruiters are hyper valuable.... you don't have to like a dude to like what he does.

Matt Simon, the WR coach from Edina at WMU is expected to join the Gophers staff

Sherels is the embodiment of the culture that Fleck preaches. I really hope he is retained.

All will be gone aside from maybe Sherels. Anyone thinking Sawvel will be brought back lives in fantasy land, it was his players that caused the issue and he was a vocal supporter.

Difference between wanting Sawvel back and thinking he will be back.

Somebody posting in the big thread yesterday insinuated he had inside info that Fleck asked for big $$ for his assistants and had a nice team assembled and ready to roll at an opportunity like this. Obviously nobody here knows for sure who has "real" info or not, but I thought that was interesting. And to me, the staff is one of the most interesting parts of the transition. Will we see some big name coordinators come out of the woodwork or will he simply bring most of his WMU staff?

Hopefully, at today's presser, we'll get some idea as to the money allotted to hire coordinators.

Interesting comments about the staff. Some may stay, some may go.

Also said he straight up doesn't know but will decide very soon (like days).

I'll bet by Monday he'll have his staff set for the most part. He knows what he has now in comparison to the guy sitting across from him that would like to be apart of this.

I would love if Fleck took note if that defensive performance and gave a thought to Sawvel.
Sherels would be my other one.
Not attached to any others.....

Brian Anderson, he has been one of our best recruiters at evaluating talent and bringing kids to Minnesota, especially all of those top Georgia guys we have been bringing in. There hasn't been a staff member during the Kill and Claeys years that has been more valuable and worked harder in bringing talent to Minnesota than that Anderson guy. You would have to be blind on recruiting not to see his name by a lot of the players names on who recruited them.
I like Sherels to, he bleeds U of M and the State of Minnesota through and through. Him and his brother Marcus brought a lot to the the table at the U and rose up from Walk on status to starters and key contributors as players.
Both Sherels brothers are former walk on's, and Mike was a former captain of the team. His efforts in recruiting Minnesota and getting the best local guys to attend the U has gone a long ways into changing the perception of local talent and kids interested in Minnesota. I don't expect a lot back from the previous staff, but these were probably two of our most effective recruiters to the University in the last six years.

I think all of the local coaches would recognize these two as staff members, Anderson and Sherels that have been all out effort guys at Minnesota, even in sickness Sherels busted his butt to get back and coach. O'brien I don't know that much about, he was AD staff in charge of football before he was
the defensive backs coach, I think he recruited or coached at the MIAC level before that time.

Brian Anderson, he has been one of our best recruiters at evaluating talent and bringing kids to Minnesota, especially all of those top Georgia guys we have been bringing in. There hasn't been a staff member during the Kill and Claeys years that has been more valuable and worked harder in bringing talent to Minnesota than that Anderson guy. You would have to be blind on recruiting not to see his name by a lot of the players names on who recruited them.

Please no at least not as a wide receivers coach

Please no at least not as a wide receivers coach

I'm talking about running backs, and recruiting. Anderson is good at that stuff, not the wide receiver position he was moved to this last season. Look at who he has brought in from a talent standpoint, he is one of the best recruiters we have had in the last 10 years. Seems to have a lot of contacts in recruiting at quite a few high schools in the south. You need that when you're recruiting the far away places.

Receivers actually got better this year, besides you have a tough time evaluating that crew with a QB that was always late and barely ever through the route on time or on a dime for that matter.

You have to have people that can sell the program on staff, and you need some diversity. You need people that can coach football and bring them in.

I wonder if Fleck brings in a former B1G HC as OC or DC?

I work with a former player under Kill at NIU who then was a GA at Minnesota. They thought he was a phony and way more sizzle over substance. This was a staff of mostly conservative rednecks, and Fleck is....not that. Plus, he wasn't "one of them", which was of course huge currency for Kill. Ironically, Claeys in particular didn't like him and used to make fun of him in front of the other players.

That said, I'm very glad Fleck is here, and they are not.

I would love if Fleck took note if that defensive performance and gave a thought to Sawvel.

Given Coyle's bashing of the culture of the former coaching staff, I'd love to see Sawvel stay on. Would love to hear how Coyle would explain that. The problem with creating lies when none were needed.

Thought I read somewhere on here that a guy from Minnesota was on Flecks staff at WMU?

Why does your avatar say PJ Flecks?

Looks like Fleck is by far focusing on contacting recruits and players first, and lining up coaches second. The WMU site is going into meltdown over the number of their recruits now heading to MN. Not only did we take their coach, we also got their recruits, and looks like we're even taking "Row the Boat" from them as well. Next up, we'll probably take a lot of their assistant coaches. Bummer for them -- they finally get a great season, think they've survived all the P5 coaching changes with their program intact, the WMU admin is put together a long-term (10 year) contract for their coach that Fleck is close to signing, and then we fire Claeys and everything goes up in dust...

Top Bottom