Assistant Coaches - who stays, who goes, who does Fleck bring with him?

Livingat45north

Reaction score
I think every coach, including Sherels, is gone. Hopefully Sherels will land somewhere at the UofM, but I don't think he stays on as linebacker coach.

I think every coach, including Sherels, is gone. Hopefully Sherels will land somewhere at the UofM, but I don't think he stays on as linebacker coach.

I do hope the U finds a way to keep Sherels around even as if you say it is not in football. He is a Minnesota guy to the core and has gone through so much. Would have to think there is something in administration that he could do as I don't think he will be in a position with his medical conditions to actively go out looking for other coaching jobs. Plus I would guess that his wife and family would like to stay in Minnesota with their background.

As for the rest of the staff my guess is that Fleck cleans house. Would be surprised to see any of them stay but I suppose a lot of that will depend on who is coming with him from Western Michigan.

Coyle specifically noted Sherels and O'Brien were staying during the transition.

Maybe someone else gets picked up but I suspect only Sherels and O'Brien have a chance at sticking around.

Fleck lost his RB, DL and LB coaches recently so will need to fill those spots. I hope Sherels, Anderson and Sawvile are retained. Here is a link to Fleck's coaches leaving.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2016/01/western_michigan_football_assi_1.html

Hope their leaving is not an indication of Fleck's management style/impending problems.

All three took jobs at power 5 schools and although the story doesn't specify they probably all got significant raises in doing so. I wouldn't read that as a negative but don't really have any specifics on the situation.

I'd like to see them keep some of the coaches with historical ties to Minnesota including Sherels and Weber (I know his tudoring of Lender wasn't great, but that may have been on the student).

Fleck lost his RB, DL and LB coaches recently so will need to fill those spots. I hope Sherels, Anderson and Sawvile are retained. Here is a link to Fleck's coaches leaving.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2016/01/western_michigan_football_assi_1.html

Hope their leaving is not an indication of Fleck's management style/impending problems.

They just took advantage like Fleck did of a great year, the grass is always greener at another program.

I really hope Sherels is kept. I don't think anybody else will be around however.

Coyle specifically noted Sherels and O'Brien were staying during the transition.

Maybe someone else gets picked up but I suspect only Sherels and O'Brien have a chance at sticking around.

I wonder if out of this mess O'Brian moves back to the administration side at the U. It wouldn't hurt to have someone that is respected and trusted on the football side active in the administration. I don't know if Coyle will ever regain the trust of the players, it truly might be an entire generation of students (4-5 years).

All will be gone aside from maybe Sherels. Anyone thinking Sawvel will be brought back lives in fantasy land, it was his players that caused the issue and he was a vocal supporter.

I wonder if out of this mess O'Brian moves back to the administration side at the U. It wouldn't hurt to have someone that is respected and trusted on the football side active in the administration. I don't know if Coyle will ever regain the trust of the players, it truly might be an entire generation of students (4-5 years).

I kinda expect he will go back to the office if he doesn't get a coaching spot.

Football AD is a good role for him, if Coyle wants to be all "hands off" (often too much...) Dan is a good administration guy to be the AD for football.

Word has it Dan was basically the buffer for Kill and the ADs anyway.

I think Sherels stays provided he wants to do so. He's been recruiting the state hard and having him as a holdover will help with the high school coaching network. I think keeping O'Brien around makes sense as well and maybe having him back on the administrative side of things would help. I would like to see Sawvel retained and obviously Fleck knows him and most of the other guys who were at Northern Illinois. I just don't know if Sawvel's comments did him in. Miller is relatively new to the staff and he may be the only guy worth keeping on the offensive side of the ball.

If this was handled as poorly as it appears by the admin., who on the staff would want to stick around? Sherels and O'Brien excluded.

Fleck was an assistant at Northern Illinois when they hired Kill. He was kept on staff, so hopefully he knows the importance of continuity. Sherels should remain; his loyalty to the U reminds me of Butch Nash who survived multiple head coaching changes

If this was handled as poorly as it appears by the admin., who on the staff would want to stick around?

Sherels and O'Brien considering they agreed to stick around for the transition already.....

I edited it seconds after I typed it, you must type faster than I do.

Yeah in that case I agree. It's just Sherels and O'Brien at this point who have a chance have showed they want to stay around.

Granted that I'm not high on Coyle, but I think he specifically mentioned Sherels just so he (Coyle) wouldn't be the bad guy that fired him (Sherels). Coyle's going to leave the firing for the new coach (Fleck) to do. Coyle dodges a bad PR bullet, and passes it on to Fleck.

I'm on board with an assistant coming over from WMU, as long as that person was local. Do we know if anyone is from Edina?

Matt Simon actually played high school football in Farmington. Guessing he was born at Fairview Southdale in Edina.

Granted that I'm not high on Coyle, but I think he specifically mentioned Sherels just so he (Coyle) wouldn't be the bad guy that fired him (Sherels). Coyle's going to leave the firing for the new coach (Fleck) to do. Coyle dodges a bad PR bullet, and passes it on to Fleck.

Yeah Sherels has a lot of program goodwill. Even Coyle knows that Im' sure.

Still it all should be PJ's call.

Can somebody get me a copy of Matt Simon's birth certificate?

Somebody posting in the big thread yesterday insinuated he had inside info that Fleck asked for big $$ for his assistants and had a nice team assembled and ready to roll at an opportunity like this. Obviously nobody here knows for sure who has "real" info or not, but I thought that was interesting. And to me, the staff is one of the most interesting parts of the transition. Will we see some big name coordinators come out of the woodwork or will he simply bring most of his WMU staff?

Somebody posting in the big thread yesterday insinuated he had inside info that Fleck asked for big $$ for his assistants and had a nice team assembled and ready to roll at an opportunity like this. Obviously nobody here knows for sure who has "real" info or not, but I thought that was interesting. And to me, the staff is one of the most interesting parts of the transition. Will we see some big name coordinators come out of the woodwork or will he simply bring most of his WMU staff?

It is 100% crystal clear to me that Fleck was expecting to be named the new coach at a Power-5 conference in December or January, so one would think that he has thought through all of that and had a staff pretty well in mind.

No one will be on Fleck's staff that was on Claeys especially since the rumor is that while at NIU he rubbed those guys the wrong way. Kill was not a fan of Fleck and I am sure the other coaches feel the same way. Not sure what he did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Grant and Dungy.
He's meeting with them tomorrow morning at Einstein Bagels.

Top Bottom