Kansas State v.
Texas A&M

Liberty:
Georgia v.
TCU

Hawaii:
Hawaii v.
Middle Tenn State

1:30pm is when rest start to be announced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Announced. Not projected.

Peach - 12/31:
#1 Alabama vs.
#4 Washington

Fiesta - 12/31:
#2 Ohio State
#3 Clemson

Nice to that it doesn't matter if you beat Ohio State AND win the conference title to be in the "playoffs". What a joke...

Nice to that it doesn't matter if you beat Ohio State AND win the conference title to be in the "playoffs". What a joke...

Do you think Penn State is better?

Do you think Penn State is better?

No but it's not a matter of what I think...it's a matter of performance. And again, they BEAT Ohio State and won the B1G title.

No but it's not a matter of what I think...it's a matter of performance. And again, they BEAT Ohio State and won the B1G title.

No it's not. It's about having the four best team in the playoffs. They got it right.

I think it's as simple as 3, 1 loss teams are more deserving of being in.

They also lost to Pittsburgh and Michigan by 39. The CFP committee needs to pick the four best teams based on how strong they played throughout the entire season. If Penn State doesn't lose to Pitt, it might have been a whole different story. Moral of the story, don't lose two football games and expect to be in the Playoff.

No it's not. It's about having the four best team in the playoffs. They got it right.

I think it's as simple as 3, 1 loss teams are more deserving of being in.

Exactly. Derhey, it's pretty obvious it's about finding the 4 best teams in the committee's mind. With this decision, they basically said that - head-to-head and conference champions do not equal best team. I bet when the chair they will say if there were 2 equivalent teams in their minds -they'd use championships and H2H to decide...but in their mind osu was superior to psu. I'd agree with that .

Not apples to apples by any means, but I think about the NCAA basketball tourney. Teams that get upset in better conference tournaments get a higher seed than teams that won their conference tournament. It happens. Make it an eight team playoff and it's a better apples to apples comparison but that's a different topic/discussion

Escaped with narrow wins vs Wisconsin, NW, MSU. Lost to Penn State. Needed a little official help to beat a Michigan team that lost ro Iowa. This is a typical Jekyll and Hyde team.

The decision appear to hinge entirely on beating a Oklahoma team early in the season. That's fine...but the head to head loss is definitive for me.

PSU has improved by leaps and bounds while OSU has escaped and needed some official help. I'm scared for the playoff.

They also lost to Pittsburgh and Michigan by 39. The CFP committee needs to pick the four best teams based on how strong they played throughout the entire season. If Penn State doesn't lose to Pitt, it might have been a whole different story. Moral of the story, don't lose two football games and expect to be in the Playoff.

And don't suffer a blowout loss, even early in the season. Getting smoked at the Big House like that torpedoed Penn State's chances. The committee got it right.

And don't suffer a blowout loss, even early in the season. Getting smoked at the Big House like that torpedoed Penn State's chances. The committee got it right.

Penn state was playing the ball boy on defense. Sometimes all is not what it seems. Did our injuries matter last season?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is no different than the NCAA basketball seeding where conference titles don't necessarily equate to where a team is seeded. Arguments can go both ways, but I think tOSU is the best team in the B1G and likely one of the four best in the country. When you play as many freshman (redshirt and otherwise) and sophomores as they did, your play is going to be uneven. Their lack of experience showed up a number of times during the year, but their athleticism prevailed all but once. And for all the good fortune tOSU had in pulling out close wins, they lose on a blocked field goal that was returned for a TD.

Why you have a very good point, they also ended the regular season with one more loss.

tOSU - 11 and 1 PSU - 11-2

Hated it when a 7-4 Wisconsin team, 4-4 in Conference play (!) won that Conference Title game and got the Rose Bowl bid. It was almost comically unfair. Almost.

Didn't like it either when Alabama and (LSU?) both got in, but not hypocritical enough to like it if PSU and tOSU would get in now.

Though we got 3 great games yesterday, Conference Title games are money grabs pure and simple.

Not the level of money grabs that March Madness is. "YOU get in! YOU get in! YOU get in!" times 64, but it still devalues the regular season. Even with that NHL level of "earning their way in" they still have to pick to "seed" the tourney.

tOSU was, probably rightly, seeded higher.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A ton of fun. I think what has happened this year may make an 8-team tourney more likely. This is what happens when you have a bunch of pretty good 2- or 3-loss teams and only one undefeated team.

A ton of fun. I think what has happened this year may make an 8-team tourney more likely. This is what happens when you have a bunch of pretty good 2- or 3-loss teams and only one undefeated team.

This year seems to be the case FOR NOT expanding to 8 teams. His scenario is sort of interesting. But realistically it would have to be Colorado and Wisconsin at 7 and 8. And no one thinks Bama should have to "play-in" to a semi-final against either of those two teams.

A committee (or system) can't reward Oklahoma for playing in a crappy 10-team conference with no CCG, or USC for failing to even win their mediocre division.

Penn state was playing the ball boy on defense. Sometimes all is not what it seems. Did our injuries matter last season?
They matter if you care about excuses

Should USC be in then since they fixed their quarterback situation and beat Washington?
Or should the entire season count?

Noticed he left the only undefeated team out? Yeah, earn it on the field indeed...

You have to leave them out otherwise you don't have an argument to move it to 16 the next year

This year seems to be the case FOR NOT expanding to 8 teams. His scenario is sort of interesting. But realistically it would have to be Colorado and Wisconsin at 7 and 8. And no one thinks Bama should have to "play-in" to a semi-final against either of those two teams.

A committee (or system) can't reward Oklahoma for playing in a crappy 10-team conference with no CCG, or USC for failing to even win their mediocre division.

:clap::clap:

He basically used the final rankings except he swapped USC in for Wisconsin, which shouldn't happen. The Pac 12 was bad this year and I think Oklahoma would still be better than Colorado/USC.

Agree, and you also have to consider the effect an 8-team playoff would have on the importance of the regular season. For example, the Ohio State/Michigan game this year would have been pretty meaningless.

Agree, and you also have to consider the effect an 8-team playoff would have on the importance of the regular season. For example, the Ohio State/Michigan game this year would have been pretty meaningless.

There would need to be some benefit for having a better record or something. I don't know if you could do a bye with such a small playoff. But maybe.

There would need to be some benefit for having a better record or something. I don't know if you could do a bye with such a small playoff. But maybe.

Yeah, I would be interested potentially in a six-team playoff with a bye for the 1 and 2 seeds. But I think having four teams still eliminates the biggest issue with the old system where teams that had legitimate arguments to be the number 1 team in the nation were getting left out of the championship. That doesn't happen anymore. Sure, there are some tough situations when it comes to ranking the #3 - #6, but those teams should honestly feel kind of fortunate that they even have a shot. Under the old system, your second, or even first, loss of your season was essentially a kill shot to your championship hopes.

I know I'm in the minority, but I would have left Ohio State out. I think it was a gutless pick by the committee.

It will remain this way until they balance conference schedules, go by record, or go by conference champions.

Simplest to me would be 5 conference champs and highest rated non Champ. Then seed them.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson

3. Ohio State
6. Oklahoma

4. Washington
5. Penn State

1/2 get a bye.

Top Bottom