Whats up with recruiting?

And yet - when the recruiting class is announced on Signing day, there will be people on this board raving about the great kids "we" just signed, and screaming that the recruiting services are rating "our" class way too low.

This board is so bi-polar. When Claeys canned Limey and Z, the consensus was that he was putting his stamp on the program. he was cheered for having a plan and being decisive.

But now, because the Gophs don't have a slew of 4* recruits in the fold, Claeys doesn't know what he's doing, and at least one person suggests he's not working hard enough.

Look - in the end, the Gophers will sign some players. They will play the 2016 season. They will win some games, and probably lose some games. And no matter what happens, some people will be on this board proclaiming that "IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!" - while others proclaim that the Gophers are on "THE VERGE OF GREATNESS!" And the truth - the truth, my friends - will be somewhere in the middle.

Good post but doc said it best with "So many experts - So little expertise!"

This has been a concern with the Kill and his legacy coaches.
None of them had any experience in recruiting at the BIG level.
The conference record over all these years speaks for itself.
Granted that Kill and his merry men were an upgrade over Brewster but that does not mean they were a success.
It has? Not even camp season chill brah.

Last year at this time we have five. Now we have three. Not a big deal yet

5 is way more than 3. I would say the panic is well justified. Carry on all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1,000. It seems like we have the same handful of people always looking at the negative in EVERY situation. Can't wait for the seasons to start so we have something real to talk about.

So...we have the Pollyanna's calling out the Cassandra's...probably the only consistently reasonable person on this site is Short Ornery Norwegian. Bravo sir.

By my count, Killme (how was the move to Happy Valley), Killjoy, Alchemy, highwayman, Dr. Don and a few others are resistant to any sort of speculation, opinion, criticism, or controversy. There are apps out there that collate news stories you might be interested in. Then your delicate sensibilities won't be injured. Good luck!

"REALISTIC goal" after Brewster would depend on expectations.
If going back to a bit less than Mason but better in many ways than Brewster then Kill was a success .
If turning a program around with a new President, AD and HC like WI did is a reasonable expectation than Kill was not a success.
Given his lack of experience in FBS and his medical problems Kill did ok.
What are your expectations of the new HC ?

Well yeah, that was my question, what were YOUR expectations at that time?

Mine. . .

I would have been ecstatic if someone told me "Your next coach will bring you back to Mason's level of success and you'll compete for a Big 10 title every few years".

I would say that in the first 5 years, the fact that our expectations this year are 8 - 9 wins and a January 1 bowl game makes the Kill hiring a success. My expectations now have been raised because of Kill.

So...we have the Pollyanna's calling out the Cassandra's...probably the only consistently reasonable person on this site is Short Ornery Norwegian. Bravo sir.

By my count, Killme (how was the move to Happy Valley), Killjoy, Alchemy, highwayman, Dr. Don and a few others are resistant to any sort of speculation, opinion, criticism, or controversy. There are apps out there that collate news stories you might be interested in. Then your delicate sensibilities won't be injured. Good luck!

We are resistant to "sky is falling" hysteria, not intelligent conversation. GH is a great source of inside info on our teams. And it has been a source of good humor and speculations. It just gets real old to see every BB discussion degenerate into a "get rid of Pitino" bash session. Also, we have what looks like could be a good AD, let us let him get a chance to run the department. People are free to criticize actions or outcomes, but let's please not just call the U a dumpster fire.

We landed the top 2 prospects in the state by May - and one was an absolute blue chip recruit. I'd call that a pretty good start. Plus a solid LB from out-of-state.

As the camp season kicks off, we probably offer and land 4-5 additional MN recruits. At the top of the list are Bolden, Ott, Gindorff, Floyd, Chuol, Lofton, Jensen.

We also probably end up with 6-8 out-of-state kids taking unofficial visits and land half of them. I'm sure we'll be at 10-12 commitments by the end of the summer, which is pretty average. I think it was 2 years ago that Bronson Dovich was our only commit at this time.

Maybe we should reserve this board exclusively for the coaches and just sit back and read what they have to say?

Couldn't agree more. It is far more entertaining to hear WHY you feel Pitino is a good overall coach, rather than telling other people to shut up. Do you follow me? Make arguments. Telling every poster their opinion is invalid (see Don, Dr.) Is an unhelpful position. Unless our posters are Pete Carroll, Bill Cowher, Mike Zimmer, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer it's safe to say even the high school coaches and former players that post here have limited or biased viewpoints. Even those coaches surely disagree with each other about certain things.

Where do we draw the line on how informed a poster has to be to make a statement of opinion?

I started a thread!!! I started a thread!!!

Seriously, have you followed the Gophers before? In the last 5 years?

Don't even know what to add to that.

Little to no recruiting noise this year so far is all. Just wondering about the conversation. I expected you to reply, and you didn't disappoint. It seems you are everywhere on this board so you clearly have a life outside of GH. I'm picturing you in my mind...

(BTW - I am a fan and buy tickets same as you, brother)

Just saw Tracy Claeys fishing on wcco. That's the problem

GH is a great source of inside info on our teams. And it has been a source of good humor and speculations.

If you want good humor and speculations you are in the right place. Personally, I love the speculation even tho PE is right that for some reason that makes no sense there are many who don't.

With all that said, Holy Crap are you looking for too much from GH if "Inside Info" is what you are after.

WE ONLY HAVE 3 COMMITS!!!

IJnxZ3w.gif
How many of them like to fish?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We landed the top 2 prospects in the state by May - and one was an absolute blue chip recruit. I'd call that a pretty good start. Plus a solid LB from out-of-state.

As the camp season kicks off, we probably offer and land 4-5 additional MN recruits. At the top of the list are Bolden, Ott, Gindorff, Floyd, Chuol, Lofton, Jensen.

We also probably end up with 6-8 out-of-state kids taking unofficial visits and land half of them. I'm sure we'll be at 10-12 commitments by the end of the summer, which is pretty average. I think it was 2 years ago that Bronson Dovich was our only commit at this time.

History suggests that the bulk of Gopher commitments come even later. Not time to push the GH panic button yet.

GOPHERS FOOTBALL COMMITMENT BY YEAR.jpg

Incidentally, the 2012 Commitment Class that was ranked 70th by Rivals produced Maxx Williams, Eric Murray, Isaac Fruechte, Jonah Pirsig, Briean Boddy-Calhoun, Damarius Travis, Mitch Leidner, Jack Lynn, Scott Ekpe, Alex Keith, Lincoln Plsek, Anotnio Johnson, Roland Johnson. Not too shabby. Four of them are in the NFL. It is entirely possible that Mitch Leidner, Jonah Pirsig, and Damarius Travis will also end up in the NFL which will make this recruiting class one of the best Jerry Kill classes.

2012 GOPHER COMMITMENT LIST.jpg

Pretty sure he's trying to appease the boosters of the program a lot more than catching fish. Could be wrong though.

Exactly. It's called customer fishing which is very similar to customer golf.

History suggests that the bulk of Gopher commitments come even later. Not time to push the GH panic button yet.

View attachment 4225

Incidentally, the 2012 Commitment Class that was ranked 70th by Rivals produced Maxx Williams, Eric Murray, Isaac Fruechte, Jonah Pirsig, Briean Boddy-Calhoun, Damarius Travis, Mitch Leidner, Jack Lynn, Scott Ekpe, Alex Keith, Lincoln Plsek, Anotnio Johnson, Roland Johnson. Not too shabby. Four of them are in the NFL. It is entirely possible that Mitch Leidner, Jonah Pirsig, and Damarius Travis will also end up in the NFL which will make this recruiting class one of the best Jerry Kill classes.

View attachment 4226

The Gophers are 15-25 in conference play through 5 years with one winning conference record and an 0-5 record against Wisconsin. As of today, 10 of the 14 schools in the B1G have 8 or more commitments and 9 of the 14 schools have at least one 4 star player on 247 (just using 247 for this example, Andries might be a 4 star on another site) and the Gophers are not on either of those lists. Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe it does. It's fine if "stars/rankings/offers don't matter" as long as when the Gophers step on the field the same people don't use "we don't have good enough players" as an excuse for another poor conference record. I don't care how the staff acquires talent, as long as they acquire enough of it so that years like two years ago are not the peak.

There's only one person here that can answer this question: Kyle Kessel. Word on the street is that he "loves" recruiting.

View attachment 4225

View attachment 4226

Awesome post. Thanks for putting this together.

FWIW: today on Sports Huddle, Claeys said he expects to get a number of commitments from the upcoming Summer Camp season. Said the next few weeks are really big for camps, and the staff likes to evaluate players in person. If the Gophs get 5 or 6 commits in the next 3 weeks, this thread will take on an entirely different tone.

When you take off maroon and gold glasses and look at it, there should be no worry.

I look at these schools for comparison in the Big Ten. Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers. Others really don't fit our recruiting range or abilities at this time.

60% of Iowa and Wisconsin commits are in state (6) of 10 each.
Illinois 4 total, two in state
Purdue 1 commit
Rutgers 9 of 11 in state, new coach laying foundation.
Indiana 4 total, two in state

So what's the problem MN leading into camps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMHO, the Gophers need to separate themselves from the bottom half of the B1G by putting a winning trajectory. Jerry Kill was doing that rebuilding the program until TCU happened.

They were on their way: 2-6 2013; 4-4 2014; 5-3 2015 in the B1G. That is until the plethora of injuries caught up with them last season going 2-6.

Not surprised how miffed Jerry Kill was with Norwood Teague. There was a reason why Jerry Kill wanted to cancel series with North Carolina. He does not want that during the program rebuilding years. What did Teague do? He scheduled TCU without consulting Jerry Kill.

I have reason for optimism with Mitch Leidner healthy & on paper a favorable schedule to get back on track. Anything can happen.

There's only one person here that can answer this question: Kyle Kessel. Word on the street is that he "loves" recruiting.

Kyle is the man when it comes to delivering hot news on the recruiting front only seconds after being disseminated on the pay sites. I love me some KK.

IMHO, the Gophers need to separate themselves from the bottom half of the B1G by putting a winning trajectory. Jerry Kill was doing that rebuilding the program until TCU happened.

They were on their way: 2-6 2013; 4-4 2014; 5-3 2015 in the B1G. That is until the plethora of injuries caught up with them last season going 2-6.

Not surprised how miffed Jerry Kill was with Norwood Teague. There was a reason why Jerry Kill wanted to cancel series with North Carolina. He does not want that during the program rebuilding years. What did Teague do? He scheduled TCU without consulting Jerry Kill.

I have reason for optimism with Mitch Leidner healthy & on paper a favorable schedule to get back on track. Anything can happen.

So we're back to blaming TCU for all the injuries again when many of the injuries came after TCU? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom