Shooter: Jerry Kill to Kansas State, possible announcement tomorrow

Is it sort of like grip vs key grip in movie production?

Gotta say the position gave myself and all of my IT staff colleagues a laugh this morning... Jerry has sort of become the real life version of "Office Space" Tom Smykowski in college athletics

I thought of Office Space right away as well. We're in trouble if Jerry is given a red stapler and told to turn off his radio. I don't want to see him turning into Milton.

$150 000? This is a part time gig for Kill. What do you think the over under on whether he actually has a residence in Manhattan? I say no and that he stays in a hotel when in town.

They basically just put a high level football mind on retainer for $150K.

For $150, no way he moves.

Dude might won't even bother with getting a small house to stay at .... just expense a nice hotel.

Claeys chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Some feel Kill and Claeys would have been able to work together - but other people have claimed that Kill was upset when Claeys got rid of Limey and Z. Hard to say what the relationship will be going forward.

I think this is a win-win situation. Jerry Kill gets a job he is apparently happy with, and the Gopher FB program gets to evolve under Claeys without Kill looking over his shoulder - figuratively or literally.

Imagine this scenario: Gophers lose a close game, and the media goes to Gopher Ass't AD Jerry Kill for a comment. That puts both Kill and Claeys in a bad situation.

I will always be grateful to Jerry Kill for helping bring the U out of the Brewster Abyss, and restoring some credibility to the program. His health did not allow him to continue the job. Now, it's up to Claeys to see if he can get the job done. (and if he can't get the job done, there is a new permanent AD to run a coaching search.)

Yep.

Can I be the liaison for Men's golf? I'd only require $80K. And a car.

Good for him, but I bet he still ends up coaching.

I'd be stunned if he coaches more than a game or two on an interim basis once Snyder quits/has health issue/dies.

I think either Kill is around to help groom the next coach (assuming they have someone on staff they expect to replace Snyder), or Snyder has been getting unreasonable in his demands, and they want a former coach to be the bad guy, since he'll have that coaching perspective. You know, something like, "now Bill, you know you have to fill up your gas tank when you drop your rental car off. When I was at Minnesota, I always..."

So...Pitino doesn't fill up the car with gas and The "U" gets charged $20 and he is considered "entitled" and "out of touch".

But that same University should have manufactured a job for Jerry Kill and paid him well just because he wanted to stay involved?

And the same people who complained about the gas are calling for Pitino to be fired immediately. Last I checked $7 million is a lot more than $50.

Before Kills latest health issues here, I had feared that Claeys might be a tempting replacement for KSU whenever Snyder hung it up... if Kill will be there and not to be the coach in waiting, it scares me even more. More enticing for Claeys to head home, as well....

Before Kills latest health issues here, I had feared that Claeys might be a tempting replacement for KSU whenever Snyder hung it up... if Kill will be there and not to be the coach in waiting, it scares me even more. More enticing for Claeys to head home, as well....

You think Kansas State would have given Claeys the job?

Aside from how it played out here I figured his next step would be a MAC head coach or the equivalent. I feel like DC in MN to Kansas State HC would have been a pretty big jump.

I feel like DC in MN to Kansas State HC would have been a pretty big jump.

Nah. Lots of guys go from Power 5 coordinator jobs to Power 5 head coach jobs without anything between. It just depends on whether they feel he's a strong enough candidate.

Nah. Lots of guys go from Power 5 coordinator jobs to Power 5 head coach jobs without anything between. It just depends on whether they feel he's a strong enough candidate.

Not from MN they don't.

Let's get real here. The U doesn't need a redundant football coach liaison between Claeys and the AD. What authority would he have? Kill liked what Limey was doing so how do you think he would react to Claeys wanting to change coaches? Kill may have over ruled the change or not given his support to the AD. All kinds of possible conflicts that could prevent Claeys from doing the job his way. Kill would be in a position to second guess his every move.

Also, Claeys would never give up coaching at the U to go to KSU. He likes and respects Kill, but they are not joined at the hip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last thing TC needed was Kill looking over his shoulder. It's his baby now for better or worse.

And the last thing Mark Coyle needed was Jerry hanging around making it harder to make a move away from Claeys if that became necessary in the future

And the last thing Mark Coyle needed was Jerry hanging around making it harder to make a move away from Claeys if that became necessary in the future

I think that has more to do with it than anything.

Not that Jerry would make trouble, I really don't think he would, he reportedly didn't like MEGATOUNGE, but he didn't say anything bad about him even when he got the boot.

I think more it has to do with the new AD has to be the person who decides how he wants to interact with football or the other ADs, assistants to the general regional sport manager involving semi egg shaped balls, and etc. Beth, no matter what she offered couldn't guarantee much, the new AD had to have the chance to lay his own groundwork.

I said JK would coach again from Day 1 and nothings changed. Funny thing about JK, he may not have the skills to coach BCS prima donnas.

Goddamn it! I take the football requirements from the head coach and deliver them to the A.D! You can't have the A.D. talking to the coaches directly, the coaches aren't good with people!

I just started laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes, well done :D :D :clap:

I said JK would coach again from Day 1 and nothings changed. Funny thing about JK, he may not have the skills to coach BCS prima donnas.

"Rebecca and I couldn't be happier to return home to the state of Kansas and join the K-State Athletics family and Manhattan community," Kill said. "I want to make it known that my coaching days are over, and I am excited to start this next phase as an administrator for one of the finest athletics departments in the country.

For those of you that think that Jerry will possibly follow Bill Snyder as HC at K State, all you need to do is look at who their current Associate Head Coach is - his son Sean. Also interesting to see what positions he held at K State before jumping into coaching. From his bio:

"In 1999, Snyder was promoted to Assistant Athletics Director for Football Operations. He was named Associate Athletics Director in 2001 and Senior Associate Athletics Director in 2010."

Top Bottom