The new turf is in at Minnesota Stadium (aka The Bank)

I'm just saying the field should return to the way it was 2009-2013, when it also hosted other events. Sheesh.

I didn't notice a difference between 2009-13 and 2014-15.

Of course, none of the other B1G football programs would ever do something as stupid as to paint their end zones for every game just to make the field usable for other activities. I mean just look at the Big House at Michigan:

View attachment 4189

Oh wait, the end zones are blank and no stitched M in the middle of the field!

Guys, please check your facts before you go making up stuff!!!!

I of course could post pics of all the B1G stadiums that have stitched branding and colors at midfield or end zones, and we could compare in a year or two to see how many of them decide to back off on their branding. We are going from a stitched field with maroon end zones, to a generic field where even the yard lines are painted.

I didn't notice a difference between 2009-13 and 2014-15.

You are saying you didn't notice the change in turf between the first five seasons in TCF Bank Stadium and the last 2, when the field was shared with the Vikings?

If so, I wish I could be more like you. This wouldn't bother me at all.

Somehow I knew this, like sooooo many other seemingly simple things before it, would get F'd up. Gone will be the maroon end zones, stitched block M, etc. etc. and we will have faded, smeared paint on rainy days all so the facility can more easily host other stuff, maybe. I'm sure other B1G stadiums will follow along with this very practical turf arrangement... NOT.

Everyone said there would be painted turf for the years the stadium was shared with the Vikings and then it would go right back to the way it was. Instead, it will now be WORSE with not even the yard marking lines being stitched in.

More small time "sensible" decision making. Yawn.

A deal breaker? No, of course not. I will survive and this isn't the biggest problem facing Gopher football, of course. I just see it as more evidence of the overall disease that has afflicted my favorite football program since the 1960's.

Amen. Have a +1 and a recommend.

You are saying you didn't notice the change in turf between the first five seasons in TCF Bank Stadium and the last 2, when the field was shared with the Vikings?

You should maybe concentrate more on the game, rather than what the field turf looks like which has zero impact on the outcome of the game. If what the fake grass looks like really bothers you that much, it may be time to sit down and contemplate your priorities in life... I guess personally if you forced me to say what I think the turf should be I would say whatever causes the least injuries and is most liked by the players to play on. How it looks would literally be last.

The block M at midfield looked like complete **** the last two years. You could see the faded outline of the Vikes logo behind it with ease. Anyone who didn't notice that is just not very observant.

Hey bottlebass, you must not have read my first post where I specifically said it isn't the biggest deal (it was quoted again in the post prior to yours if you are too lazy to look for it)?

Also, using your logic the turf could be pink and guys like you wouldn't have a problem with it. Hey, I disagree but I won't condescendingly and incorrectly suggest how you should watch the game or what you should care about.

Enjoy the painted field, and take comfort knowing your superior intellect has allowed you to rise above it all. Meanwhile I will lock my family in the back seat of a car and push it in a lake because I don't like the field as much as I used to and that is the priority in my life. :)

It's been tough since Factchecker was banned.

I was wondering why he/she/it disappeared.

Just a guess, but maybe they made this decision to make it easier on the stadium operations crew? Not sure how hard it would have been to change the field if everything was stitched in.

Thanks to Title IX there is no Men's soccer team...but least we still have Men's gymnastics to inspire the dozens of male gymnasts over 8 years old in the state.

There's away around it. For example, BYU was having the same problems the Gophers are running into but they decided to start up a "club" PDL team. In my opinion this is the way to go especially since the soccer is better than NCAA. The team could play the winter part of the schedule in the new Vikings stadium and then play at TCF Bank stadium during the other months. Here is their schedule. BYU Schedule

Paralleling their efforts to increase the level of competition, BYU left the collegiate club division of soccer, and purchased a Premier Development League franchise, where they began play in May 2003. Part of the United Soccer Leagues, this league provides the year round competition necessary to develop individual and team skills that in hand will better prepare them for success in their international travels. BYU is the only University sponsored soccer program to ever purchase a franchise and compete at a level considered higher than NCAA soccer in the pyramid of U.S. soccer development.

I'm not saying TCF shouldn't host other events. I'm just saying the field should return to the way it was 2009-2013, when it also hosted other events. Sheesh.

I'm referring to the decision to "vanilla" the TCF Bank Stadium playing surface. That isn't to be confused with the incorrect assumption that I am advocating no other events be held there.

Next year when the team plays at the Bank from March 1st to the regular season final in October or November I don't want to look at football lines distracting my view especially since it could be avoided. Ha. ;)

Soccer markings on the football field...back to the days of the old Dome again. Multi purpose turf...beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Everyone complaining about the Block M not being stitched in please play the tape it sure looks like it's stitched in to me.

I'm not saying TCF shouldn't host other events. I'm just saying the field should return to the way it was 2009-2013, when it also hosted other events. Sheesh. I'm referring to the decision to "vanilla" the TCF Bank Stadium playing surface. That isn't to be confused with the incorrect assumption that I am advocating no other events be held there.
Why do you hate our freedom?

Don't look now, but US Bank Stadium has sewn in lettering and logos. They will paint over w/ green paint for baseball and other events.

Don't look now, but US Bank Stadium has sewn in lettering and logos. They will paint over w/ green paint for baseball and other events.

Pretty sure that's what will happen @ the Bank...for end zones and sidelines...hard to tell if the block M is painted or permanent from what I've seen. If painted, maybe they will have multiple Gopher logos for midfield?

Pretty sure that's what will happen @ the Bank...for end zones and sidelines...hard to tell if the block M is painted or permanent from what I've seen. If painted, maybe they will have multiple Gopher logos for midfield?

But will they match the seats?

I kinda like the idea of changing up the midfield logo here and there.

Granted the big M was awesome.

In the video, everything that's installed, is stitched in. Everything else will be painted later.
I too had wished to see the field return to some semblance of what it was when the bank first opened.
That turf and the design was first class, the last two years was flexible for the Vikings but it appears
they went even more vanilla with this last one. Does it matter compared to how the product is on the
field as opposed to the field they play on? No, not really, but some of us are geeks with this kind of stuff,
I check the Vikings webcam daily to see the progress of the turf there and think it looks awesome.
My old highschool just built a new stadium with fieldturf and took my son out weekly to check updates on
that, and their turf looks way better than the Gophers..I feel.
5-8-16.jpg

I want this guy at midfield. Block M looks like a W to 50% of the crowd.

3891_minnesota_golden_gophers-mascot-1986.png

I want this guy at midfield. Block M looks like a W to 50% of the crowd.

3891_minnesota_golden_gophers-mascot-1986.png

No way. The department/University didn't spend a ton of effort and money rebranding to a consistent design across all sports for no reason. The sport specific Goldys are not productive for putting forth a unified brand.

No way. The department/University didn't spend a ton of effort and money rebranding to a consistent design across all sports for no reason. The sport specific Goldys are not productive for putting forth a unified brand.

Well in that case you have to go with the saber tooth gopher logo.

1a6a9a21152595.5633543c52e29.jpg

They've already started bring those back. Hockey uses that old Goldy logo on their alternate jerseys. Softball last weekend had a Goldy on their batting helmets instead of the M. Football sold those white tshirts with a retro Goldy on it last year or the year before.

They've already started bring those back. Hockey uses that old Goldy logo on their alternate jerseys. Softball last weekend had a Goldy on their batting helmets instead of the M. Football sold those white tshirts with a retro Goldy on it last year or the year before.

All about selling more crap.

Top Bottom