All things TCU

'Bill Jones" can hate on us now but he sure liked tweeting this last fall.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Haha...if you had told me I'd block a TCU fan this morning, I'd have thought you were crazy. I think we've had nothing but great experiences with ALL of the Frog fans up until this dink came trolling along. I wonder if he's a 13 year old kid, or a 40 year old man still living in his Mom's basement. How long till the ban-hammer makes an appearance?!

No. Frogs reload on defense every year. Patterson is the best defensive mind in college football. This unit will be the fastest defense you'll see all year.

The fastest defense we'll see all year is the one we see every day in practice.

Don't disagree that Patterson is a defensive genius though, and we won't be able to fool him. If we win this game it will be a 24-20 type slugfest, not 61-58.

'Bill Jones" can hate on us now but he sure liked tweeting this last fall.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

P-hawk is Billy Jones on Twitter. GoFrogYourself is Bill Jones.

#2 team. Not exactly far fetched. I think it's funny all you Canadians think that it should be close and anyone picking TCU in a blowout is disrespectful.

With this logic I assume we should just refer to all Texans as "Mexicans"?

I'm excited to see the look on the faces of the purple-clad fans tomorrow when they show up and see those knife-wielding polar bears protecting the entrance to the stadium. Do you think they'll even bother trying to get past them and into the stadium, or will they just turn around terrified their suspicions are true?

I'm sorry about GoFrogYourself. I expect a close first half with TCU pulling away in the 2nd half. I was very impressed with the secondary y'all had last year which is why I think Aaron Green will have a good amount of carries in this game. Just one more day until it's finally here!

Sorry about the ******y Frog troll. May be a Tech or Baylor fan masquerading as a Frog. I guess every fan base has its set of spares.

Sorry about the ******y Frog troll. May be a Tech or Baylor fan masquerading as a Frog. I guess every fan base has its set of spares.

Nothing you for two to apologize for. Every fanbase has a couple of nutjobs. There's a few of them hanging around this board too!

Looking forward to a competitive, fun game tomorrow; and hopefully both teams come away healthy. SKI-U-MAH!

THE TCU OFFENSE: PACKAGED SCREENS AND PISTOL PLAY-ACTION

It has been nearly eight months since the last NCAA FBS game was played – the Championship matchup between the Oregon Ducks and Ohio State Buckeyes. But football is back, baby. Mark Schofield dissects the TCU offense, focusing on two schemes from their high octane offense: Pistol Play-action and the Packed Screen concept.

On Thursday night, quarterback Trevone Boykin and the TCU Horned Frogs take on the Minnesota Golden Gophers in the season opener for both teams. This game is a rematch from an early season tilt in 2014 won by TCU 30-7. If head coach Gary Patterson and his squad want to secure a berth in the College Football Playoff this season, they will need to open with a victory. Their offensive system is a fast, up-tempo spread style that puts pressure on the defense both vertically and horizontally, and two concepts from that scheme were on display last fall.

[All shots are from the Gopher/TCU game last year]

Link

Let's assume briefly offense and defense are independent (which I realize they are not)...

What are the chances we hold TCU to less than 24-27 points? 20% or so?

And what are the chances we can put up more than 24-27? 30%, maybe?

.2*.3 = .06, or 6%.

Even if we give ourselves a 40% chance of keeping them to 24-27, and a 50% chance of scoring more than 24-27, that leaves us at .4*.5 = 20%.

Obviously this analysis is very flawed and people may disagree with my estimates, but the more I think about how this game could unfold, the harder it is for me to see a path to a Gophers victory.

Let's assume briefly offense and defense are independent (which I realize they are not)...

What are the chances we hold TCU to less than 24-27 points? 20% or so?

And what are the chances we can put up more than 24-27? 30%, maybe?

.2*.3 = .06, or 6%.

Even if we give ourselves a 40% chance of keeping them to 24-27, and a 50% chance of scoring more than 24-27, that leaves us at .4*.5 = 20%.

Obviously this analysis is very flawed and people may disagree with my estimates, but the more I think about how this game could unfold, the harder it is for me to see a path to a Gophers victory.

You forgot about special teams, son!

I'm sorry about GoFrogYourself. I expect a close first half with TCU pulling away in the 2nd half. I was very impressed with the secondary y'all had last year which is why I think Aaron Green will have a good amount of carries in this game. Just one more day until it's finally here!

I definitely think the TCU running game is being overlooked in this matchup. Minnesota can be stout against the run but they have also been gashed on occasion, especially when they are worn down later in games. TCU has a good offensive line and Aaron Green is talented. Just another reason why Minnesota controlling the ball and working the clock is important.

I definitely think the TCU running game is being overlooked in this matchup. Minnesota can be stout against the run but they have also been gashed on occasion, especially when they are worn down later in games. TCU has a good offensive line and Aaron Green is talented. Just another reason why Minnesota controlling the ball and working the clock is important.
Spot on. How about our O takes the load this week? Especially not coughing it up.

Tracy Claeys has not overlooked the TCU run game, he's stated' Last year, we defended them pretty well 80% of the time, their run game gave us more problems than their passing attack' . I did the quote from memory so don't crucify me if it's not exact.

Tracy Claeys has not overlooked the TCU run game, he's stated' Last year, we defended them pretty well 80% of the time, their run game gave us more problems than their passing attack' . I did the quote from memory so don't crucify me if it's not exact.

Yeah I meant more the fans and media. I know Claeys hasn't overlooked it.

I love Claeyes, but awfully Beckmann-like comment. Most outcomes of games amongst power 5 teams can shift if a few plays go the other way.

It's going to be really interesting to see if we can push through their interior line, if Mitch has his marbles, and the defense can slow them down for four quarters.

How exciting for freshmen like Rashad Still, Shannon Brooks, Holland, and others to open their playing careers on national tv against the number 2 team in the nation! The scrutiny will be intense with only one othe game as competition, opening night etc. The pressure on the guys, Mitch etc is enormous...He needs to forget about the red light and just play.

Pressure? Red light? Nobody expects us to win... just go out and surprise the "experts""(ESPN)

Wichita Eagle:

TCU at Minnesota, Thursday – Jerry Kill, Minnesota’s coach, is another of the good guys in college football. And he’s from Cheney. And he’s a heck of a coach. And he’s getting the No. 2-ranked Horned Frogs at home with a good team. But not a good enough team to derail a focused TCU team intent on getting into the College Football Playoff this time around after being shunned a season ago despite a 12-1 record. Good luck, Jerry. You’re going to need it.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/lutz-blog/article33543171.html

Go Gophers!!

CBS Sportsline: http://www.sportsline.com/insiders/...e-winners/?ttag=SL15_ed_cvr_cfb-harbaugh_0903

Analysis: This game might not play out like the immense mismatch the data suggests. That said, the idea of holding a ticket on Minnesota conjures the feeling of waiting for an uppercut to the gut after eating fast food.

The market quickly corrected on this game, moving down to 14 where it held steady for several weeks. But now a lot of TCU money has come in, and it's back up to -16.5 or -17 at most outlets.

The value is gone on TCU, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should jump on Minnesota.

Minnesota's defense is strong enough to get TCU's explosive offense off the field, but matching the Frogs on offense is another matter.

The Gophers won't be able to pound the ball enough to command TCU's respect at the line of scrimmage so they can go over the top with play-action passes.

Expect an inspired first-half effort from Minnesota, but the Frogs' relentless ways will take hold in the second half.

Both the side and total could come close to the posted number, but I'd rather back the much more talented team that still feels it has something to prove.

CBS Sportsline: http://www.sportsline.com/insiders/...e-winners/?ttag=SL15_ed_cvr_cfb-harbaugh_0903

Analysis: ... the idea of holding a ticket on Minnesota conjures the feeling of waiting for an uppercut to the gut after eating fast food.
Expect an inspired first-half effort from Minnesota, but the Frogs' relentless ways will take hold in the second half.

Both the side and total could come close to the posted number, but I'd rather back the much more talented team that still feels it has something to prove.

I can't argue with the logic of betting on TCU, but the unknown impact of the new weapons on the Gopher offense, along with the mettle that is permeating this program, have me excitedly optimistic. I realize in my excitement I am risking a kick in the gut, but I'd rather bask in this hope than wallow in accepting that we're a couple years away from not being 14-point dogs at home TO ANYONE. Tonight could change a lot of national perception about us, or confirm that we're not ready. I can't wait!

per the New York Post:

MINNESOTA (+16¹/₂) over Tcu: Denied a spot at the Final Four table in 2014 despite their spectacular season, the Horned Frogs have a point to prove — but the Gophers have quick revenge working after a better-than-it-looked 30-7 loss in Fort Worth, Texas, a year ago. This is potentially Minnesota’s most effective squad in ages, and Jerry Kill’s troops (not to mention a well-oiled fan base) will be stoked to make their bones in a home Thursday-nighter — fertile ground for substantial home underdogs who relish national TV exposure. Minnesota hangs tough, for one unit.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/03/this-tried-and-true-angle-makes-underdog-minnesota-the-pick/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom