Drew Hmielewski Commits!

I am always in favor of red-shirting. Yet, I find myself disappointed by this.

If it needs surgery I'm surprised he is playing basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no doubt that this kid is a huge athletic talent. But, the feeling I get from talking to a few people around Marshall is that there is no way he can stay healthy enough to play both sports. As much I would love to see him play football, I hope I am wrong but I think he plays just baseball after struggling to stay healthy trying to play football as well. Watching him play baseball, he's definitely a hidden gem in this years class for both sports.

NDSU has to be pissed that Jerry doesnt let these kids fall to their program like Brewster did.

Brewster recruited MN pretty hard. He was a flop as a coach, but the rise of NDSU had nothing to do with Brewster recruiting strategies. He recruited MN kids. The fact is that there weren't any kids universally rated as high as Hmieleski that the U passed on.

NDSU was not built on players like Hmieleski, they never went there.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jeezus Sid looks scary. Also, notice the thirty year old cassette recorder he's using! It's time Sid..........its time.

Why the hate on Sid? He deserves a lot respect for the enjoyment he has given Minnesota sports fans over the years. He has done enough that he decides when it's time. With all the sports coverage and blogs and such it shouldn't be too much of a hardship on you to read and listen to a ninety -six year old legend. He is the last of the great homers and loves the maroon and gold as much as anyone.

Why the hate on Sid? He deserves a lot respect for the enjoyment he has given Minnesota sports fans over the years. He has done enough that he decides when it's time. With all the sports coverage and blogs and such it shouldn't be too much of a hardship on you to read and listen to a ninety -six year old legend. He is the last of the great homers and loves the maroon and gold as much as anyone.

This argument is as tired as Sid. He's a terrible writer, he has poor insight, his homerism is unmatched (still think the Vikes will regret dropping Childress and Ponder, Sid?), and the best compliment anyone can think to give him is "he has forgotten more...". He's not a legend. He's a running joke with everyone I talk to. Have some sense of self-dignity and realize when you're not contributing anything worthwhile.

This argument is as tired as Sid. He's a terrible writer, he has poor insight, his homerism is unmatched (still think the Vikes will regret dropping Childress and Ponder, Sid?), and the best compliment anyone can think to give him is "he has forgotten more...". He's not a legend. He's a running joke with everyone I talk to. Have some sense of self-dignity and realize when you're not contributing anything worthwhile.
Would you like more of Soupcan or Reusse?

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas

Nobody is making you watch nor listen to him.
The man is in his 90's and still working, cut him some slack.

Lyle Baker, the 90 y.o. Fuller Brush man that died a few years ago used to come by my shop once a year.
I'd buy brushes purely out of respect for him.
Nicest man you would ever meet.

Would you like more of Soupcan or Reusse?

You're not giving me a whole lot to work with, but if it's a choice between them and Sid? Then yes. Given the sad state of Minnesota sports teams (those of the big revenue variety, at least), there is a lot more negative for the two pessimists to write about than than positive. None of that crew is getting promoted ESPN/SI, but at least two of them are coherent, took a college writing course at some point, and are not blinded from reality by their own desire to add another 20-something athlete to their list of "personal friends".

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really believe that many people out their actually value or take seriously Sid's work. The best I've seen anyone give him is that he's basically some kind of ancient local tradition.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas

Nobody is making you watch nor listen to him.
The man is in his 90's and still working, cut him some slack.

Lyle Baker, the 90 y.o. Fuller Brush man that died a few years ago used to come by my shop once a year.
I'd buy brushes purely out of respect for him.
Nicest man you would ever meet.

I'm not knocking Sid as a human being. I'm saying that he isn't a good sportswriter, whether he's 90, or 25. It's long past time to move aside, and let someone else with more to offer jump into that spot.

I'm not knocking Sid as a human being. I'm saying that he isn't a good sportswriter, whether he's 90, or 25. It's long past time to move aside, and let someone else with more to offer jump into that spot.
Have you read Amelia's stuff? Let's just say the new batch of rookies aren't setting the bar very high.

I still find some enjoyment listining to Sid, but his best days are long behind him. As far as that photo goes, he looks like a character right out of "The Adams Family".

Sid is a sports legend whether you want to acknowledge it or not. His positive nature towards players gave him much better access to insider information then any of the local hacks who would rather make a sarcastic jab instead of gathering information. He constantly had better access to coaches, administrators, players, etc than any other sports writer. Remember, we are talking about sports, not criminal investigations. Fans want to read about what is happening with their team, they are not that concerned about objectivity. The coverage of most college teams is filled with homerism, especially in areas without pro teams. Of course, Sid has slowed down by a few steps, but give him a little respect for what he has accomplished. No one is forcing you to read him.

Sid is a joke of a reporter. Maybe he was good once, but he is a joke now. That's it. This doesn't mean anything about him as a person, other alternatives in the market, that I don't respect him, etc. etc.

Top Bottom