CBS: Chris Simms: 'I may have gotten a few $100 handshakes' at Texas

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

In recent years, the college football world has seen its fair share of autograph scandals, whether with Johnny Manziel at Texas A&M or last year with Todd Gurley at Georgia. But it's hardly a recent phenomenon in the sport, as former Texas quarterback Chris Simms attested to on the radio Thursday.

Simms, 34, filled in as a co-host on CBSSports Radio's Tiki and Tierney on Thursday, and he had this to say about his time in Austin from 1999 to 2002.

"They didn't pay me, but there may have been cash going around to some other players," said Simms. "I'm not going to deny that. I may have gotten a few $100 handshakes every now and then to sign some autographs for alumni.

"I don't care how rich your upbringing was. Yes, I grew up with a silver spoon, but if you give me a few extra $100 as a college kid, that's great."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...may-have-gotten-a-few-100-handshakes-at-texas

Go Gophers!!

per Scout:

On March 9, Texas athletics announced its 2015 football season ticket renewal package, including this line: “To help shoulder the increased costs of recent changes in NCAA policy, seat prices across the stadium have increased by an average of six percent.”
According to numbers obtained by HornsDigest.com through an open records request, football season ticket holders were being handed a cost increase in 2015 by an average of 21.5 percent – with the Longhorns coming off a 6-7 season and a 5-year record of 36-28.
The result: roughly 10,000 football season tickets were not renewed by an April 10 deadline, multiple sources told HornsDigest.

But more and more inside the Longhorn community are fed up with what they say is an athletic director who can’t or won’t relate to people and who puts making money or saving money above everything – even Texas student-athletes and coaches, who have seen cuts by Patterson impact them directly.

* Travel cuts have meant the (University of Texas) baseball team taking seven-hour bus trips to Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, when Texas used to fly commercial to those destinations. OU and Texas A&M fly to every baseball game longer than a three-hour bus ride.

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1556266-hd-exclusive-ad-patterson-facing-heat

Dumpster fire.

per SBnation:

Sources said football coach Charlie Strong, who saw his and his coaching staff's personal ticket allotment cut from eight to four last year, fought to increase the salaries of his eight quality control coaches from $24,000 to $50,000 after last season.

Texas has the lowest salaries in the Big 12 for its quality control coaches -- even behind last-place football finisher Kansas ($45,000).

Strong's request was denied by Patterson, and six of Texas' eight quality control coaches who had built relationships with the rest of the staff, left to find better paying jobs, the sources said.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/18/8804391/steve-patterson-texas-athletic-director

I thought they were the richest athletics department in the world... yet they pay staff less than Kansas.

per ESPN:

In the report by the Chronicle of Higher Education, a former academic counselor said a math instructor told him she saw former basketball player Martez Walker cheating on an exam, and that Walker was allowed to pass anyway. Walker has since transferred. The counselor also said he believed former Longhorn P.J. Tucker received impermissible help with a paper while preparing for the NBA draft, and a former academic mentor said he helped write papers for former player J'Covan Brown.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mens-coll...s-independent-review-men-basketball-academics

Dirty, dirty teasips.

per Orangebloods:

"Texas made the decision to tear down Penick-Allison and made a commitment to replace it, and that needs to be honored," Welder said. "If they are saying now the $15 million has to be raised for a new tennis facility - after the school vowed to spend the money to replace it Steve Patterson should know his men's and women's tennis programs premier programs - could be in jeopardy.

"If ground is not broken for the new tennis facility by the end of 2015, the completion date could push into 2017, meaning UT's men's and women's tennis programs would have been practicing and playing on public courts with no place to meet for three years. How would recruiting survive that?"

But sources said UT not having a tennis facility this season or next - combined with Patterson pinching pennies by cutting the number of times a UT coach can go into the athletic dining hall from unlimited to 30 times per school year (or they have to pay their own way), helped gut an already unstable women's tennis program.

"There was no place for Coach McNamara to meet with her team," one source close to the situation said Wednesday. "Was she going to use her own money each time she wanted to go into the athletic dining hall just to meet with her players? She'd be taking a pay cut. Come on. It's ridiculous."

Here's another problem: Patterson himself has ruined the relationships with at least two donors who came forward with plans to give at least $1 million toward the tennis facility.

Both donors said they had more than one meeting canceled by Patterson initially. And then when they finally did meet with Patterson, the Texas athletic director let them know he was very short on time.

"The athletic director - supposedly desperate to raise money for a new tennis facility - tells me he only has 15 minutes when we sit down for lunch?" one of the donors said. "I said, 'I'm sorry. I thought you all were asking me for help.'"

"The university speaks for itself," said Strong. "We don't need gadgets. We're not going to be a gadget program."

5KlPwci.jpg

Hook_em_Harley_Clark_Texas_012-616x425.jpg

Note: Jet Pack guy made an appearance at all six University of Texas-Austin home games last season.

per SBnation:

Sources said football coach Charlie Strong, who saw his and his coaching staff's personal ticket allotment cut from eight to four last year, fought to increase the salaries of his eight quality control coaches from $24,000 to $50,000 after last season.

Texas has the lowest salaries in the Big 12 for its quality control coaches -- even behind last-place football finisher Kansas ($45,000).

Strong's request was denied by Patterson, and six of Texas' eight quality control coaches who had built relationships with the rest of the staff, left to find better paying jobs, the sources said.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/18/8804391/steve-patterson-texas-athletic-director

I thought they were the richest athletics department in the world... yet they pay staff less than Kansas.

The same school that if memory serves me correctly was offered and took ISU, KU, KSU, and Mizzou's share of exit fees when CU and Nebraska left the once Big12 in an effort to keep UT from leaving too. If UT is the anchor of the Big12, it looks like they're sinking fast. If so, it couldn't happen to a nicer school.

The only surprising thing is that they wer only $100 handshakes.

Oh, look, another article...

per the Houston Chronicle:

A statue at the state's flagship university honoring Confederate leader Jefferson Davis has become a divisive reminder of the University of Texas at Austin's Old South roots.

The tension that has arisen around the statue echoes a broader national struggle over public institutions displaying Confederate relics.

As UT has worked to diversify in recent years, some on campus see relics like the Davis statue and an inscribed ode to the men and women of the Confederacy as unwelcome reminders of the school's past. The ode is carved into a wall near UT's Littlefield Fountain, one of the university's most prominent landmarks -- named after George Littlefield, a major UT donor and a former Confederate major.

http://www.chron.com/local/educatio...emove-statue-honoring-confederate-6342100.php

Remember that UT-Austin was one of the last football teams to integrate.

Wow, your Aggies beat Texas in integration by 3 whole years. You want a cookie?

per the Austin American Statesman:

Patterson has been too aloof, too socially awkward, too abrasive in making radical change too fast. I can understand Texas charging for parking. And the basketball atmosphere had been stale. The new AD hasn’t come to grips with his deficiencies and continues to do harm to his own image, whether he’s using a wrong name for U.S. Open champion Jordan Spieth or angering the fan base. This further hints at the need for a total makeover at the athletic department and for Patterson to seriously alter his detached style if he wants to remain as AD. As an example of how the Longhorns have mismanaged things this offseason, they didn’t make available three new football coaches for four months and still have not made available for interviews any of Shaka Smart’s assistants. At a time when Texas is crying out for buzz and positive momentum, it has dropped the ball.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/spo...link_cbpopular_bottom#ae5dcb4a.3889270.735776

per the Dallas Morning News:

A report following the investigation, released in February, found that several students who didn’t measure up academically were offered admission to UT at the recommendation of lawmakers, regents and sometimes former UT President Bill Powers.

Embattled University of Texas Regent Wallace Hall filed a lawsuit against the UT system chancellor claiming that he was “wrongly denied access to records necessary to carry out his duties as a regent,” according to a statement released by the system late Tuesday.

Hall is seeking full access to admissions records that were deemed suspect during an outside investigation into the the admissions process at UT Austin.

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews....cords-deemed-confidential-by-the-system.html/

Per Fox Sports:

... extreme ego, greed and pettiness, which have combined to quickly deconstruct the culture that Texas faculty, coaches, players and boosters have always held dear. From being less than forthcoming about financials with boosters and faculty to downright dishonest in communication with some athletic department employees, Patterson comes across as cold, cunning and completely devoid of personal touch.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ctor-steve-patterson-criticism-podcast-062315

I would not be upset if Texas was slammed by the NCAA.

per Watchdog.org:

At least 764 applicants initially denied admission to the University of Texas were admitted thanks to a backdoor program for the wealthy and politically connected administered by former president Bill Powers.

More than 200 of those applicants were admitted despite having their applications cancelled by the Admissions Office.

“The reach of this scandal is breathtaking,” said Maribeth Vander Weele, one of the investigators in a similar admissions scandal at the University of Illinois. “The collapse of ethics in two major institutions – the Law School and the Legislature – will be felt for years to come.”

Jim Miller, a former president of the National Association for College Admission Counseling, called Texas’ system “entirely inappropriate.” The Texas situation, he said, “erodes public confidence in a system that has incredible integrity, generally speaking. All it takes is a few of these situations to lead people to think that’s how it works.”

http://watchdog.org/228880/kroll-powers-breathtaking/

p.s. UT admitted seven Highland Park students with grade point averages below 2.0 and SAT scores below 800.

per the Austin American Statesman:

Texas running back and wide receiver Daje Johnson just branched out into a new realm – music. The Longhorn announced that he dropped a rap single last weekend via Instagram. The track, titled “Dealer,” is the first single off Johnson’s upcoming EP, “Unusual.”

http://longhorns.blog.statesman.com...-player-daje-johnson-releases-new-rap-single/

Coach Charlie Strong's Core Values:

Honesty
Treating women with respect
No drugs
No stealing
No guns

At least 3/5 referenced and broken in the first 0:35 of this song.

per Total Frat Move (original AAS story behind a paywall):

After nearly 17 years of business between Nike and The University of Texas, the Longhorns are open to hearing offers from other companies to become the official apparel brand of UT athletics. Under Armour, Adidas and even Russell Athletic have been mentioned as possible suitors for the coveted UT brand.

http://totalfratmove.com/we-wrote-a...-its-official-apparel-brand-ut-didnt-respond/

Wait... what? Russell Athletic? Finally, my middle school gym shorts are going to be cool again.

per Fox Sports:

"Texas fallacy" -- it's a belief, rooted in media laziness, that Texas was better than it actually was. But dive into the record book's recent history and you learn something astounding -- despite all the money Texas athletics make -- the Longhorns don't actually win very much.

See, the only thing modern Texas fans can really brag about is the money their athletic department makes. Because when you really break down the athletic department's history over the past 45 years Texas is the dumb rich kid who hasn't done anything to earn his daddy's money, is desperately insecure about that fact, and so he lashes out at everyone else by pointing out how rich he is.

The vast majority of Longhorn fans aren't rich. They're dumb t-shirt fans who aren't smart enough to go to Texas. Unlike the other universities in Texas which have many more alumni rooting them on, a full 92% of the people who are Facebook fans of Texas didn't go to Texas.

Hell, right now Texas can't even make money. Despite all that revenue, Texas managed to lose over eight million dollars last year. Now fans are upset because they have an athletic director who has bad interpersonal skills and is hell bent on making money. Which means Texas hired the most Texas athletic director possible -- a guy who doesn't win much, but boy can he make money! Except when he can't. If Texas isn't making money, what are Texas fans going to brag about? The 59 yards of offense they posted against Arkansas in last year's Advocare Texas Bowl?

Source: http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...bases-in-america-7-the-texas-longhorns-071615

The 10 Dumbest Fan Bases In America: #7 the Texas Longhorns

per Wikipedia:

Yanis Varoufakis is a Greek-Australian economist who served as Minister of Finance of Greece in 2015.

From January 2013 he taught at the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs at the University of Texas at Austin as a visiting professor.

On June 30, 2015, Greece became the first developed country to fail to make an IMF loan repayment.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanis_Varoufakis

I'm not from Texas but I'm guessing (partly from the string of posts above) that the ones who go to A&M have some serious "little brother" syndrome for the rest of their lives.

I'm not from Texas but I'm guessing (partly from the string of posts above) that the ones who go to A&M have some serious "little brother" syndrome for the rest of their lives.

Except that we're big brother in nearly every way: age, enrollment, research rankings, and many academic rankings.

I'm just pointing out the corruption and scandal that takes place in Austin to an audience who probably doesn't see this information in their typical news sources.

If you have ever seen my posts on here, I source and document everything as comprehensively as possible.

Except that we're big brother in nearly every way: age, enrollment, research rankings, and many academic rankings.

I'm just pointing out the corruption and scandal that takes place in Austin to an audience who probably doesn't see this information in their typical news sources.

If you have ever seen my posts on here, I source and document everything as comprehensively as possible.

Well, for at least one poster that seems to be true.

It may seem odd but we have a lot of similarities with A&M. Combine the skunks and hogeyes and you'll basically have UT.

Top Bottom