Other games

As I watch the Nebraska-Purdue game, I've come to the realization that Big Ten basketball (college basketball as a whole actually) has been truly boring to watch this year. Maybe I was just spoiled by the great basketball we played the last couple of years, but this year has been just terrible in my opinion. Nebraska and Purdue currently averaging 1 point per minute.

Seems like defenses always catch up this time of year, blueprints for each team are there. There is a lack of individual talent this year and teams aren't rising up. Looks like the old slow paced big ten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see what you and others are trying to say bga1, and its understandable to be happy when Iowa loses. But we played Iowa TWICE, and only play NW once. So our own RPI dropped from 72 to 74 because NW won that game. And one of our few Top 50 wins may have disappeared. Our fight to get into the NCAA tourney has very little to do with what place in the Big Ten standings we hold, but with our RPI rating and corresponding ranking and corresponding # of Top 25/50/100 wins.

I don't care who the Big Ten team is, if we have or will play them twice, we should be cheering for them to win, except when they play the Gophers of course. And if we only play them once, it depends on where they are in the RPI, we want Top 25 teams to remain Top 25 and Top 50 teams that we have beaten to remain Top 50 and any team we have lost to we want to be in the Top 100.

This is part of the reason I HATE the RPI, because the Gophers seem to be doing this same thing every season and I hate having to cheer for a team like Iowa, but it hurt our chances of getting into the Big Dance far more than moving ahead of them in the B1G standings will help us.

Don't you remember two 8-10 B1G teams getting into the tourney when a 9-9 B1G team got passed over?! So many conferences do not play every team twice, that what place a team is in conf means little to nothing!!!

I think Duke was 4th in the ACC a little while back, yet #4 in the polls.

Well, maybe its all meaningless as none of our ooc opponents seem to be doing much to help us out this week. We jumped up to #68 after our win over Iowa, and without even playing have dropped all the way back down to #74, because of Iowa losing, because of Georgia losing, because of North Dakota losing, because of Louisville losing, because of W Kentucky losing and Wake Forest coming up 2 pts short of pulling off a huge upset didn't help, either.

So more and more it seems like the Gophers are just going to have to win at least one more game than I originally thought they needed. The positive effect of beating Iowa on the road has almost been completely erased.

The B1G is NOT as down as everyone thinks, but losses like the one Iowa just suffered do nothing but strengthen people's negative thoughts about the B1G, which hurt the Gopher's as well, far more than possibly moving ahead of Iowa will ever help us.

This was bad. No matter how you think of it.

The B1G is the B1G. No game is safe.

The "experts" don't appreciate the B1G? Screw the experts.

Stanford loses at Colorado. Good result. It's that time of year teams start gagging, so huge opportunity for Gophers right now. Loss tonight won't wipe 'em out, but a win would do a world of good.

The B1G is the B1G. No game is safe.

The "experts" don't appreciate the B1G? Screw the experts.

Oh, I understand and agree Don. Unfortunately the Selection Committee members probably consider themselves experts and probably listen to or read and consider what other "experts" say and write.
Let's just hope we can go 4-2 to finish out conf play and get a good matchup in the 1st round of the B1G Conf Tournament and can win that 1st game, at least. Finishing out the conf season going 9-4 could get all the "experts" thinking about the Gophers at least, if not the B1G.

Get in the top 49 for RPI, and you've got a shot.
Best way to do that is to win your own games.

Sorry, that's total BS. Do you really think they give a rat's a*s what Joe Lunardi, Jerry Palm, Jay "BPI" Bilas, and Jim Souhan think?

"total BS"?? Wow! lol

It was just an opinion, one I'd explain in more detail if I felt it important or myself knowledgeable enough about the subject, but I do not consider myself an expert, but you seem to be considered an expert when it comes to what and how the Selection Committee thinks and what they do. So I'll ask you, how do you think the Selection Committee members figure out who the best 37 at large teams are? Enlighten us.

Btw, the word "consider" doesn't mean accept or agree with. Or is that "total BS" as well?

No. There are 32 conferences now after the American was established last year.

That is what I'm saying SS. The fact that there are 31 Conf Tourney Champs is what threw me off. 32 conferences, 31 conf tourney champs, and the Ivy league regular season conf champ.

Or has the Ivy League changed that?

Tyus going crazy to bring Duke back to tie UNC, headed to overtime now. Flip it over to ESPN for a good one. Tyus with 20 pts, 7 ast, 6 reb

That was the best college basketball I've watched all year. Tyus was unbelievable and the best player on the court when it mattered most.

If Purdue beats Indiana

All of a sudden it becomes really possible for the Big Ten to get 8 teams in the NCAA. Not ready to say likely (because I don't trust Iowa), but looking at teams' remaining schedules it wouldn't be a stretch.

How is Purdue doing it? I have seen them 6 times and they look below average. I don't get it.

How is Purdue doing it? I have seen them 6 times and they look below average. I don't get it.

Coaching.

Iowa is taking their loss to us out on Rutgers.

Indiana layed an egg vs Purdue. Hoosiers were still riding the win over our Gophers.

The B1G is crazy.

Tubby's Raiders miss the front end of a one and one with under 10 seconds left in the game, get the rebound, hit the three to tie, going to overtime against #17 Oklahoma.

There's more people at the Gopher women's game than the Texas Tech-Oklahoma men's game...

Probably just should have gone with Twitter ...

“@jgkfan: An izzo favorite RT @leebeeowh: #huskers Tim Miles has banned players from locker room at Hendricks Complex for foreseeable future.”

Boy Rutgers is completely cooked for the year (losing by 30 or more in their last two games). Whatever teams got 2 scheduled games against them got a break. Nebraska looked pretty well done today as well.

Boy Rutgers is completely cooked for the year (losing by 30 or more in their last two games). Whatever teams got 2 scheduled games against them got a break. Nebraska looked pretty well done today as well.

How in the world did they beat Wisconsin?

How in the world did they beat Wisconsin?

Kaminsky didn't play and Jackson was injured in that game. Koenig had to step in but he's improved a lot at the point since then. Rutgers was also better earlier in the year but the cumulative effect of losing so many straight has taken its toll. Of their last 8 or 9 Big Ten losses, only one has been by less than double digits.

If I'm coaching against wiscy, I tell the refs to start calling hooks on Hayes.
It's unbelievable how many he gets away with.

That MD layup at the buzzer should have been an and 1. Koenig definitely hacked the guys arm.

Maryland's AD should be completely embarrassed by the crap their student section is shouting right into the espn mics. Nothin like hearing a 20 year old scream out racist remarks and telling the players to suck his body parts throughout the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom