PA announcer

Some guy

Reaction score
Was anybody else disappointed during the state hymn at the end of the game the PA announcer kept babbling on and on about our record and bowl eligibility?

Someone needs to tell the PA guy to stop talking during the state hymn.

I thought it was funny when he "welcomed" the Purdue punter into the game in the 2nd half.

Was anybody else disappointed during the state hymn at the end of the game the PA announcer kept babbling on and on about our record and bowl eligibility?

Someone needs to tell the PA guy to stop talking during the state hymn.

They are just trying to get the information out to as many ears as possible so didn't have a problem with it. I did love his call when the Punter from Purdue finally made an appearance something along the lines of "let's welcome.....to the field"

I get that they are doing that, but either wait until after the state hymn or tell the band to wait until after the announcement.

The state hymn has been played after the game for as long as I can remember. It shouldn't be that hard to avoid making a PA announcement during the hymn.

I didn't really like the punt announcement. Not a PA guys role to play. Not a very classy thing to do. That's just me though.

The PA guy doesn't decide to put up the bowl graphic or make the announcement. The Gopher Game Day staff do. It was planned to put up that graphic and read the script in advance of the game. They should have waited until after hail MN, but it's not the PA guy's fault.

The PA guy doesn't decide to put up the bowl graphic or make the announcement. The Gopher Game Day staff do. It was planned to put up that graphic and read the script in advance of the game. They should have waited until after hail MN, but it's not the PA guy's fault.

Yeah, it was a really dumb thing to have happen, but you are right, it was the staff not the guy who read what he was given when he was told to read it who screwed up. As for the punter thing, that was pretty funny.

I get that, but a threat title "gopher game day staff" doesn't encapsulate what the conversation is about.

Whoever decided to make the announcement then needs to fix it for next time.

We win an important game and people complain about the most stupid things. Jeez, people. Find some joy and celebrate.

GO GOPHERS!!!

We win an important game and people complain about the most stupid things. Jeez, people. Find some joy and celebrate.

GO GOPHERS!!!
You don't think we should fix the problem of having the PA talk during the state hymn?
If you win you should automatically leave everything the same and not try to do better the next week?
I hope no one on our team has your attitude.

So, someone made a mistake, and complainers take it to a high level of importance.

He isn't a broadcaster and it was only for the audience in the stadium. Heaven forbid someone have a little fun.

How can I justify sitting on my hands, frowning, and telling people to sit down during the entire game when people around me are enjoying themselves?

So, someone made a mistake, and complainers take it to a high level of importance.

If you think a thread on GH is a high level of importance you're more delusional than I could have imagined.

How can I justify sitting on my hands, frowning, and telling people to sit down during the entire game when people around me are enjoying themselves?

Yes, anyone who thinks our PA guy was unprofessional automatically doesn't cheer or enjoy themselves.

I can sweeping baseless claims too...

I thought the line was funny. The guy created LAUGHTER !!!! Jeez, what a bunch of putz's.

I'm surprised it took seven weeks to get a PA complaint thread.

I'm more offended by the vendor sales people who walk the stairs during the national anthem

See? Being a troll isn't as easy as it looks is it? :drink:

You think I'm trolling?

It is amazing how sensitive gopherhole is.
The school has been playing the state hymn at the end of games for as long as I remember. Yesterday was the second time I can remember that tradition not happening in recent memory. The first time was when brewster's team walked off after 55-0 before the song played. It is something I would like to see cleaned up. Clearly since we won yesterday no one is allowed to critique anything.

You don't think we should fix the problem of having the PA talk during the state hymn?
If you win you should automatically leave everything the same and not try to do better the next week?
I hope no one on our team has your attitude.

Dude, take a chill pill. This is a forum to talk about our team, not to solve the worlds problems. We understand your opinion, and some might agree or disagree. But you aren't going to change anyone's minds on this board, and even if you did, what would it matter. The people that make that decision aren't here. Write them, call them, email them. They get paid to deal with your crap.

We have a state hymn?

"Hail, Minnesota" is the state hymn. "Hymn" is a somewhat unusual choice of words, but it is technically accurate. From Wikipedia "A hymn is a type of song, usually religious, specifically written for the purpose of praise, adoration or prayer, and typically addressed to a deity or deities, or to a prominent figure or personification. " (emphasis mine) It's not a song of prayer, but it is a song of praise or adoration.

Actually, what the band plays isn't, strictly speaking, actually the state hymn, because there are slight differences in the lyrics between the state's version and the U's version. The U's version has "hail to the our college dear", while the state's version has "hail to thee our state so dear." There's also a verse that only applies to the U, but people only sing the first verse. It is cool that the State adopted the U's song as their own. So, the state has a hymn, but not in the way you usually think of as a hymn.

Top Bottom