2014-2015 Gopher Women's Season Thread!

Hot damn. Great future for our Women.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Game Preview: No. 21 Minnesota at No. 25 Rutgers
The Gophers hit the road to take on Rutgers for the first time in Big Ten play.

MINNEAPOLIS - The No. 21/rv University of Minnesota (16-3, 5-2) women's basketball team hits the road to take on No. 25/23 Rutgers (13-5, 4-3) for the first time in Big Ten Conference play Sunday at 4:15 p.m. CT at the Rutgers Athletic Center. The contest will be broadcast live on BTN, with Ed Cohen and Vera Jones on the call, while fans can listen to live audio of the game on 1500 ESPN. Live stats will be available on Gophersports.com and live updates can be found on the Gophers' official twitter page - @GophersWBB.

Though it suffered its third loss of the season Thursday night against Purdue, Minnesota is tied for third in Big Ten standings with Nebraska with a 5-2 conference record, while the team joins No. 7/6 Maryland as one of just two league squads with 16 wins on the year. The Gophers lead the league in rebounds per game at 43.8, while rankings second in Big Ten standings in assists per game, assist turnover ratio and defensive rebounds. The Maroon and Gold also sits among the best teams in the NCAA, ranking in the nation's top-16 in four categories - defensive rebounds per game, assists per game, least personal fouls per game and blocks per game.

Minnesota also has four players that appear among the nation's best, with Amanda Zahui B. leading the way. The sophomore center ranks third in double doubles, eighth in defensive rebounds per game, 10th in blocks per game and field goal percentage and 12th in rebounds per game, while senior Shae Kelley ranks 31st in double doubles, 85th in rebounds per game, 90th in field goal percentage and 91st in points per game to combine as one of the best front courts in the NCAA. Shayne Mullaney ranks 12th in the NCAA in assists per game and 55th in assist turnover ratio, and Mikayla Bailey ranks 145th in three-point field goals per game and 151st in three-point field goal percentage.

The Gophers and the Scarlet Knights will be meeting for just the second time on Sunday afternoon, with Rutgers picking up the win in the teams' only game, 83-75, on March 23, 1982 in New Jersey.

Rutgers is currently ranked No. 25 in the AP Top-25 Poll and No. 23 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll and sit in a four-way tie for fifth in Big Ten standings. The Scarlet Knights are coming off a 2013-14 season in which they won the Postseason WNIT with a 28-9 overall record, which included a 15-3 record at home.

-UM-

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/012415aaa.html

Uh oh, hopefully it's not one of THOSE days for Wagner.

Gophers dishing out turnovers like a waiter right now. Jeez.

TURNOVERS, violations and the announcers don't say who on or what it was.......just keep telling stories. I'm sick of it.:mad:

Just a nightmare start and is not how I expected the Gophers to respond after a bad loss. This is beyond ugly.

25-5. Gophers have already packed it in after 9 mins. Last 3 games (this one included) have not been encouraging with the direction we are headed this season.

Gophers look awful today a lot of horrible unforced turnovers and haven't finished easy looks around the hoop.

I've seen maybe half a dozen missed wide open layups from the Gophers today and 10 turnovers so far. Only 13 mins in too. It's going to be a long day (sigh).

Wagner needs the weight room really bad. She's getting pushed off the ball and the block.

can't hang onto the ball and keep missing bunnies. some very stupid passes. 11 or 12 turnovers so far?

I was watching the Rambo marathon on AMC and forgot about the game. Looks like I'm not missing much.

Gophers playing respectable now, but still down 10. Have to keep feeding Zahui though since she's drawing fouls on fouls. (11 on Rutgers already in 14 mins)

With the bad start and the number of good looks inside that were missed not bad at all to only be down 6 at half.

Nice comeback. Need one more AZB for next year. Twin towers shooting the three.:cheer: AZB will be All-American.

Gophers need to take away that 10-15 foot jumper from Rutgers and keep feeding Zahui if they want to turn the tables here in the 2nd half.

Just going to rip the bandaid off quickly: Mullaney has been awful for the past few games now. I seriously wonder how Tori Jacobs couldn't be an upgrade right now.

Bad start and lack of making plays late killed them. Played hard after the first seven minutes or so, but you can't expect to win on the road against a ranked team when you spend the opening minutes playing mindless basketball. Need to figure some things out because right now, they don't have mojo working in their favor.

Kelly had a horrible game and it looked like she lost confidence . She didn't play at all the last 10 minutes. Mullaney is not a point guard.

Just my 2 cents after seeing Gopher women twice in person (season opener & Purdue). Mullaney definitely struggling but have to stick with her. Much better option than Jacobs. Jacobs not particularly quick, fast, or athletic.

They'll be OK. Just a little bump in the road; they'll bounce back.

Kelly had a horrible game and it looked like she lost confidence . She didn't play at all the last 10 minutes. Mullaney is not a point guard.

I'm not so worried about Kelley because she's a very good player for us on most nights. Mullayney is a different story; looks like that could be a big weakness for us.

Mullaney did not have a good game. She has had some good games and has done well since RB went down. Ladies got off to a horrible start, got frustrated and made it worse. Made a very nice comeback but the hole was too big. Great game from AZB.....and two more years of her.

Gals weren't shooting great from the outside(haven't seen the stats yet, so I hope I'm right). Hurt has been shooting well lately.....will miss her coming off the bench next year.

Does Wagner have short legs or just a very short stride?

Rest of this year should be fun to watch, but I'm picking this team to win the Big Ten next year. They'll have two players on the team who will most likely go down as two of the greatest to play at the school.

Top Bottom