Jerry Kill...is he the right guy?

What's our identity?

I see what you're saying, but don't you think that running the ball, controlling the clock, playing good defense, playing good special teams qualifies as identity? I mean, it's not Oregon-like, but it's something peole are "saying" about Minnesota nationally. Especially the part about running the ball. Now whether or not it ledads to success on a regular basis is certainly up for debate.

People need to take into account that Kill and staff are building defense first. Has any Gopher coach been able to recruit enough talent for both sides of the ball in the last 30 years. Mason had some special athletes on offense. Kill and Brewster just go got the Gophers on the draft board on defense with Hageman and Vereen. When asked Kill always mentions defensive guys who can play at next level. Maxis the only guy on offense that has a chance.

Threads like these are funny...lucky some of you aren't the AD or we would have a new coach every week.

Despite the weak B1G, I bet we're favored in just 3 more games this year.

Need a little mid season magic like last year.

Mason had one thing right. The core of the game is based on the offense putting the ball over the end line. To win championships, you must have a solid defense, good special teams play and enough of an identity to attract top talent year over year. Except, you won't attract top talent until you win the championship. Never mind. Go back to dreaming.

Yes, he's the right guy. Glad he made it though that performance healthy.

I hope that day is coming when the advantage to Mason is no longer true. The early records are in the books, and nothing can change that.

I happen to like Coach Mason, but there are several instances (some repeated) that made it time for him to go.

It is a matter of speculation, but it is all we have; what do you think Kill could have done with the Minnesota Program if he (or someone in his fold) would have been the coach immediately post Mason?

Coaches go through lulls when they're in the same place for a long time. It's happened to Bob Stoops. It happened to Joe Paterno, etc. It didn't mean they were 'done' winning at their previous level. Mason was certainly in a lull. But I'm convinced that we were doomed to forever go 6-6 or 5-7 if we'd kept him around.

yeah kinda but kids left his program. tough to say what happened with kids walking out.

Buck stops at his desk. He is ultimately responsible. Doesn't mean we won't have a decent year and play in another bowl I have no interest in attending. But the success of the program is squarely on the coach. He did win 8 games last year, so he gets a lot of latitude. I think we just need to be patient, very patient.

Coaches go through lulls when they're in the same place for a long time. It's happened to Bob Stoops. It happened to Joe Paterno, etc. It didn't mean they were 'done' winning at their previous level. Mason was certainly in a lull. But I'm convinced that we were doomed to forever go 6-6 or 5-7 if we'd kept him around.

Bad thing is the 5-7 through 7-5 he seemed to pull most years was still 3 wins better than the other coaches for a long long time.

I think Kill or his OC or both will be gone in two years. And, so will the AD who will find a better position after raising money for the athletic community.

Bad thing is the 5-7 through 7-5 he seemed to pull most years was still 3 wins better than the other coaches for a long long time.

The 2003 Gopher team is the best one in my lifetime. It's not really close. And I'm afraid it might always be. Sigh.

I'm still with Coach Kill and how he is building the program. Emphasis on D, ground game and good Special Team play. Its very obvious that the talent is not where it needs to be in order to compete with a TCU. Leidner & the QB spot is just one of the areas we need better talent and is the most obvious. But there are still other weak spots and the over all team speed must get better.

Going into this season, I felt we would do well to get 6 W's and a hopefully a bowl game. Nothing has changed my thinking after watching this team for three games other than we may not get 6 W's. Our OL is still not there, we are thin and young at the DL and we our WR's are very young. This team is only starting about 8 Seniors so its still a young squad and we have put burned about 8 true Frosh redshirts.

I expected this loss as I picked TCU 31-13. But I did not like how we played and were out of the game right off the get go. Plus, I wonder how many of our guys on O would start for TCU.

Said that, I have thought that 2015 would be a better year but we will need to see some play makers show up, especially at
QB.

Leidner obviously did not look good today, but who did our OL block? No one. It's not easy to complete a pass when you have a guy in your face 1 second after the ball is snapped.

That darned Urban Meyer. His team has lost one game this year. Is he the right guy to take Ohio State to the next level?

It's painfully clear that he's not cut out for this. Good guy and all that, but let's be honest.

Yes, Kill is the guy. We just have a HUGE glaring weakness at QB. Not sure if it is QB coaching/Limegrover, lack of talent at QB or a combination of both. But, something needs to change and quickly.

Today's comprehensive loss was an unquestionable fiasco, but we are far from the point at which replacing Jerry Kill should be seriously considered. Is Leidner the answer in the long term or is he a mirage? One thing I've seen with Jerry Kill has been an inability to firmly settle on a quarterback and it has become an issue. Max Shortell was in the hunt with MarQueis Gray in 2011 and 2012, but got passed over for Philip Nelson in the latter season with Kill burning Nelson's redshirt status in the process. Then Nelson fell out of favor for Mitch Leidner last year, but has looked shaky in 2014. His status may be in jeopardy. The point is not that Shortell or Nelson would be All Big Ten material, but that we haven't had a consistent regular QB since Adam Weber in 2010, pre Jerry Kill. I get Kill wanting the right guy, but at some stage it might serve him well to go all in one guy and get some semblance of continuity instead of constantly searching for a better option that may not exist.

I think he can get us back to the Mason level, but that may not be "the next level." Offense is consistently a problem - last in the B1G - and QB is at the center of that problem. He won't win big in the conference running most of the time. Limegrover called a great game last year against Nebraska, but that was after a ton of criticism re the Iowa and Michigan games. It may be just as likely that Kill holds Limegrover back as that Limegrover is dull and predictable (which charge was also made by some fans at NIU). I'd like to see another QB or two get a look this year, starting next week.

It's year four though.

Oh, I know. I just meant he's done a lot of good things with the program. Unfortunately the main position he hasn't been able to figure out is the most important one.

I think he can get us back to the Mason level, but that may not be "the next level." Offense is consistently a problem - last in the B1G - and QB is at the center of that problem. He won't win big in the conference running most of the time. Limegrover called a great game last year against Nebraska, but that was after a ton of criticism re the Iowa and Michigan games. It may be just as likely that Kill holds Limegrover back as that Limegrover is dull and predictable (which charge was also made by some fans at NIU). I'd like to see another QB or two get a look this year, starting next week.

It will be interesting to see where the fan base falls on this one. I agree that Kill can get this team to the Mason levels but will that be good enough? I still have my doubts about his ability to get things beyond that and make this team into a true contender even in a crap Big Ten like the one we have right now.

Did Norwood cave and give Jerry 2 more years on his deal after today since our QB situation is more of a mess than he thought? Seriously Kill is a nice guy and by all accounts is doing things right in terms of running a clean program and guys going to class but I still gave yet to see him earn his salary with the product on the field. Othet than the Nebraska game last year (Clays was running the show) the product has been dull and boring

Top Bottom