Chanhassen OT Frank Ragnow is going to Arkansas

What school do you think Frank Ragnow announces on Friday?

• Minnesota

Votes: 87 56.9%
  • Arkansas

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Florida State

Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish Frank were staying but don't most kids at his level have press conferences making these announcements?

Are you actually saying they all choose the hometown school? Or is everybody across the country all mad and whiny over local high schoolers?

Frank must have turned down the FSU offer that he never had. Frank is a tool, and I'm not pissed at all. The drama of a 3 star with not near the offers Frank would have you believe he had was a riot is all.

The gist of the latter half of this thread is what constitutes "socially acceptable" behavior. For example, one person might say passing gas in a library is ok, because it was really uncomfortable to hold it in. Another person might say that is not so classy and maybe even socially unacceptable because its "rude". Equal viewpoints, right? Wrong.

I seriously doubt recruits "everywhere" hold press conferences in their home state while dangling the possibility they are going to choose the home school, a school that could really use the help and recruiting momentum while apparently they were never in it. Like bob as astutely pointed out if mn was out of it nobody would have shown up. It's narcissism.

You guys sure are hung up on the record thing. I guess players should have never came here after Petrino's 5-7 season his first year here, and missed the 10 and 11 win seasons. Recruits were stupid going to Auburn last year after finishing 3-9 too

Choosing a school based on a one or two year window isn't that smart

And maybe he finds things other than their record important. Maybe he went with his gut and doesn't care if he wins a conference title? Who cares. I don't get why everyone on here constantly assumes that all recruits pick schools for the same reasons they would. You don't have to get it. Different strokes for different folks.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

To everybody that is getting all out of shape over the manner of Ragnow's announcement, I say look in the mirror.

Why do these kids act like big shots with their press conferences and announcements?

Because we (the hard-core sports fans) have built them up into big shots. We are the ones who watch online recruiting videos, follow recruits on twitter, live on the internet searching for every scrap of news on recruiting, track results of AAU basketball and 7-on-7 summer FB camps, and so on.

We (the hard-core sports fans) treat these kids like celebrities from the time some of them are in 7th or 8th grade. And then, we're surprised when some of them act like celebrities.

We are confronted by a Frankenstein monster of our own creation. And now, we have to live with the consequences.

"We are confronted by a Frankenstein monster of our own creation."

Clever.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

To everybody that is getting all out of shape over the manner of Ragnow's announcement, I say look in the mirror.

Why do these kids act like big shots with their press conferences and announcements?

Because we (the hard-core sports fans) have built them up into big shots. We are the ones who watch online recruiting videos, follow recruits on twitter, live on the internet searching for every scrap of news on recruiting, track results of AAU basketball and 7-on-7 summer FB camps, and so on.

We (the hard-core sports fans) treat these kids like celebrities from the time some of them are in 7th or 8th grade. And then, we're surprised when some of them act like celebrities.

We are confronted by a Frankenstein monster of our own creation. And now, we have to live with the consequences.

My agreement with this post and your pun outweigh my dislike for you as a poster. Well played sir.

I have wondered if Ragnow and Butthead ride motor cycles and meet women for clandestine affairs???

And maybe he finds things other than their record important. Maybe he went with his gut and doesn't care if he wins a conference title? Who cares. I don't get why everyone on here constantly assumes that all recruits pick schools for the same reasons they would. You don't have to get it. Different strokes for different folks.

Throughout his recruitment, Ragnow consistently said that his biggest concern with the Gophers was that he wanted to see some more wins. The Gophers just won 8 games, and he picked a school that won 3. He was disingenuous at best, and flat out lying at worst.

The fat ass is a program detractor. The Gophers do NOT need that or him hanging around. Not a fan. If I am one he doesn't like, then mission accomplished. If not, I'll keep trying! Same for Soupcan and the people who employ them to spread their rubbish.

I listened, and I didn't hear anything about GopherHole. He mentioned twitter and some other things, but he never singled out this forum by name.

He did on his Twitter account. Mainly about the childish responses about Ragnow. I am not a Ruesse fan, but sadly, he was spot on with that one.

I'd be excited to have the kid, but I'd think the press conference is in awful taste. I don't have an issue with Frank going elsewhere, I get it. He must've had some connection with the Arkansas staff, so I can't even blame him for where he went. His press conference was tacky. He wanted his own special day and he got it. But there is going to be a backlash for wanting to be the center of attention.

I will go on record saying I think the press conferences that get held for high school kids picking their college are in general a total waste of time but they are becoming more and more common in this digital age so I don't think they will be going away anytime soon. So are you against the way Jones is handling things as well because he is doing the exact same thing Ragnow did in order to be the center of attention on signing day.

He did on his Twitter account. Mainly about the childish responses about Ragnow. I am not a Ruesse fan, but sadly, he was spot on with that one.

What's funny to me is whenever he brings up how Gopher fans act on g'hole, twitter, etc., he acts like this is isolated to this one fan base. I know this doesn't help his ripping of anything Gopher related, but our fan base is about as tame as it gets compared to some other major college sports fan bases.

Heck, weren't Wisconsin fans threatening to try and destroy Phil Kessel's dad's business when he picked MN over UW?

I'm not making excuses for some that do act a little childish hear, but the fact is this is nothing compared to other fan bases.

Screw Patty Cakes and screw Frank Hawgboy. This is a fan board and this is where one goes to express pleasure, happiness and disappointment regarding the Gophers. That Patty Cakes doesn't understand that considering he isn't a fan of anything or anyone...the man even hates himself.

Now, regarding 17 and 18 year old press conferences...well I really don't consider much that a teenager does to be too smart and these circus shows not withstanding. But they aint my kids and they aint my problem. They chose to take their 15 minutes and I hoped they enjoy it. But when you become famous, even for a day, you get the good with the bad...so I also not going to apologize for calling out the little punks when they choose to leave or play the home team out so they can make their fame a little longer than 15 minutes.

I wanted Frank to choose the U but his decision really doesn't bother me at all. OL is the one position that I feel great about when it comes to talent, youth and depth. These press conferences at the HS level only feed the "me first" attitude that is bad for sports in general.

I will go on record saying I think the press conferences that get held for high school kids picking their college are in general a total waste of time but they are becoming more and more common in this digital age so I don't think they will be going away anytime soon. So are you against the way Jones is handling things as well because he is doing the exact same thing Ragnow did in order to be the center of attention on signing day.

Jeff is obviously is stringing us along as well. I suspect he'll get a lot of cat calls if he chooses Iowa State on Wednesday. Just going out on a limb.

I think the majority of sports fans, especially the majority of minnesotans, appreciate a little bit of humility in their players, coaches, what have you. I cringed a little bit during Richard Sherman's rant. Some people loved it. To each their own. I thought that was childish. I thought Frank's presser was childish. You don't hear Manning going off about how he's the best QB in history. It would be pathetic. I don't know how to make this more clear. Some people never learn humility.

Which is more surprising, the reaction to Frank's decision or the reaction to the reaction?

Again, if he had siimply eliminated MN a few months ago (no MN fan would EVER consider playing for Bielema IMHO so he had to have known) nobody would care who Frank Ragnow is. The tv coverage wouldn't have been there, all the talk, twitter, web postings etc etc. If this isn't obvious I don't know what else to say. Whether one finds it disagreeable or not seems to depend on one's overall concept of what's socially desirable.

Most people love a circus act even if it is a sideshow involving some teeny-bopper making an "important" announcement. Let's face it, us fans help feed this thing for good or for bad. Anchorman-2 does a nice job of explaining how this modern day news phenomenon works.

Just once I'd love it if some stud 5-star kid made a mockery of the whole thing by getting all the media to show up and did little more than to tell them what he packed in his cold lunch bag.

I would suggest you listen to the end of his first hour show yesterday and get back to me.

Hour 1 at the very end. Its embarrassing
http://www.1500espn.com/ondemand/reusse

Not going to listen but plenty criticism to be shared.

-The kids who arrange these functions all about themselves.
-Most of us whose attention only encourages it.
-People who care way too much what a kid decides to do with his life.
-Media, in general, that create and then feed on this recruiting frenzy. It's a footnote at best about a better than average, but not that outstanding a lineman, and at least two local news shows devoted footage and reporters to it. Should be a footnote at best.
-Finally, there's Fat Ass. He takes the over the top reaction by a relatively few on GH and uses it to brand everyone a jackass. It fits for the few in this case, but he'll keep using it to provoke as many as he can.

Time to move on from Frank Ragnow.

Oh, no!!!! Jones is going to Arkansas to play for Bert? Get a grip and stop shouting your name all over the place!

The one thing that all kids today need to realize that seems to be forgotten: When you're good, you'll tell everyone. When you're great, they'll tell you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom