Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rutgers

Sounds like the father is very involved and maybe part of the decision making process

Run him over with that bus Gopherocious, the GH tearing apart of Nelson has begun!

Do you disagree that he is putting himself over the team right now? I am fine with no longer rooting for his football success if that is the case.

I liked Philip and was a big backer of his game.. but when u watch and look at stats he just struggled a lot with hitting open guys. Its a big loss from the stand point of losing a QB with the most starts. But from a talent and is ever going to get part I am just not sure.. Good luck though Philip

I was always a big Shortell guy that one hurt more than this one for me! I like shortell big arm and was never a Gray fan at QB.

Dad has always been involved. Good luck to him in the future. That said, I care about guys that stick it through, not quitters. Leidner is the better qb, but he took needs to get alot better.

This kind of thing happens. It's certainly not a deal breaker for the program, nor is it the end of the world for recruiting. He wasn't guaranteed the starting job next year, and when you're an upperclassman that makes you a bit nervous. More power to him as he goes forward, and I think we're in fine shape with Leidner.

Dad has always been involved. Good luck to him in the future. That said, I care about guys that stick it through, not quitters. Leidner is the better qb, but he took needs to get alot better.

Liedner is a horrible qb. Watch the games.

Nelson looked adequate for 4 games this year. Other than that he struggled. He was given every chance to take the QB job and that never happened.

This kind of thing happens. It's certainly not a deal breaker for the program, nor is it the end of the world for recruiting. He wasn't guaranteed the starting job next year, and when you're an upperclassman that makes you a bit nervous. More power to him as he goes forward, and I think we're in fine shape with Leidner.
This team just went from a dark horse division winner to a struggle to get to 6 wins with one announcement.
Liedner is not close to the qb Nelson is.

Yes, Nelson had three bad drives in the Syracuse game.
Then Mitch came in and lit them up for 17 points on 50% passing.

Its a loss sure he led us on a 4 game win streak, but I think you can thank the running game and defense for that, he also led us for 2 games where the offense couldn't score so it hurts but not major

Nobody should be anointed anything. Nelson has had a year and a half to clearly separate himself, and didn't. Apparently he feels that is due to the system (although, as has been said, this was supposed to be the ideal system for him), which I would say is very debatable.

He does seem like a great kid, and I still remember the story of his commitment (coming up to do it in person, with his whole family), but to me, this seems like an easy out - how about just working that much harder, getting better, and winning the job?

Maybe there is more behind the scenes. Who knows?...

When he says he wants a passing oriented offense I speculate that he really wants to run less. These guys are like running backs who are then expected to throw the ball. In the bowl game Brock Huard even commented that ML might have missed a throw because he was gassed from the last play.

This team just went from a dark horse division winner to a struggle to get to 6 wins with one announcement.
Liedner is not close to the qb Nelson is.

Yes, Nelson had three bad drives in the Syracuse game.
Then Mitch came in and lit them up for 17 points on 50% passing.

Nelson completed 31% of his passes in the final three games.

I wonder if the staff had already shown signs (other than going with him in the bowl game) of favoring Leidner next year. Then this would make a lot of sense.

A Mankato kid playing elsewhere! What would Mankato's Paul Giel have thought? Nelson's making a mistake - and his 50% passing is not going to look all that good anywhere.

Sorry to see him go. He looked very good at times and look lost at times. Not being able to redshirt hurt him. Best of luck to him, have confidence in the QBs we have and have coming in.

I think Leidner was the better QB anyway. Better completion percentage, better QB rating, better TD/INT ratio (small sample), better yards per pass attempt, better runner.

This feels like it might have been a mutual decision between Kill and Phillip that it's best for both. I bet it was addressed that Leidner is passing him in the development process and that the program is leaning more towards him going forward and that Phillip would be tabbed as the back-up, but.. that Phillip deserved to be a starter, somewhere, just not here.. similar to the Max Shortell situation. 'You're good but not what we need and you'd be better suited somewhere else and we'll do all we can to help you find the best place for you.'

Top Bottom