Official 2015 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

didn't the gi guy say we were only going to take 1 RB in this class? either he's wrong or two of the three RBs we have will be switching positions.

why the hell do the gophers not want him as a DT
We are stacked with OL and is not a huge need right now. if he is that good he would be fine on the DL

Minnesota has 4 OL verbals, 0 DL verbals, take him as a DT if that's what it takes.

I actually like our coaches playing hardball with this kid. He don't need him, and he's had plenty of time to commit to his hometown if he wanted to be loyal. Our coaches have shown they're willing to tell certain kids what they want to hear to get them on campus...apparently this one isn't worth the breath.

It's pretty simple. Obviously the staff doesn't think Carlberg is a fit with what they look for at defensive tackle. I don't want us taking a kid just because he's from MN. And I'd be willing to bet if Drayton picks a different school so he can play DT, he ends up on the offensive line eventually. Just a hunch.

It's pretty simple. Obviously the staff doesn't think Carlberg is a fit with what they look for at defensive tackle. I don't want us taking a kid just because he's from MN. And I'd be willing to bet if Drayton picks a different school so he can play DT, he ends up on the offensive line eventually. Just a hunch.

Exactly. The other schools are recruiting him as a D-lineman like we recruited D. Jones as a QB. For all we know, they may like the 4 O-linemen commits they already have better than Carlberg.

Glad the Gophs cooled on the kid from Cretin. He's been very average. East Ridge and Mounds View stuck it to him and them. Funny to see him celebrating at half-time with Under Armor while the rest of their team are licking their wounds.

One of the commentators during yesterday's game mentioned how much Patterson likes to recruit RBs and switch them defense, which is why they are so fast on D. Judging by the amount of RB recruits this year, I think Kill/Claeys might be taking a page from this playbook.

Go Gophers!!

Not sure on who the commit is that will be taking another official visit but I do remember someone stated that they would take visits even after the committed and I keep thinking that was Almonzo Brown but I'm not completely sure.

Not sure on who the commit is that will be taking another official visit but I do remember someone stated that they would take visits even after the committed and I keep thinking that was Almonzo Brown but I'm not completely sure.

It's Almonzo, he's visiting K-State on 10/31 and Ohio State just came calling yesterday I guess. He maintains that he's very much so committed to the Gophers but this is going to be one that will likely be a battle until signing day.

Also, the Kelly visit is an unofficial one. He and his running back coach will be coming to the Cities on 10/11 and the plane tickets have already been booked. Kelly also still plans to take an OV to Minnesota at a later date. Good news that he's making a trip out on his own dime.

It's Almonzo, he's visiting K-State on 10/31 and Ohio State just came calling yesterday I guess. He maintains that he's very much so committed to the Gophers but this is going to be one that will likely be a battle until signing day.

No surprise here (he was my guess when I saw Burns's tweet). He said on the day he committed that he still intended to take his visits.

Also, the Kelly visit is an unofficial one. He and his running back coach will be coming to the Cities on 10/11 and the plane tickets have already been booked. Kelly also still plans to take an OV to Minnesota at a later date. Good news that he's making a trip out on his own dime.
Definitely very good news!

Take this for what It's worth. I know recruit stars are not always accurate but I still think this is a good sign that Kill is an effective recruiter.

Average recruit ranking for Gophers football by year on 247sports.com:

2011: .7984
2012: .8005
2013: .8029
2014: .8229
2015: (commits so far) .8318

Take this for what It's worth. I know recruit stars are not always accurate but I still think this is a good sign that Kill is an effective recruiter.

It's a good trend definitely. Mostly middle to low 3-star guys though. Personally, I would like to see a number (10-14) of high 3's+ consistently to feel confident that recruiting is on par.

There's no question the recruiting has picked up. He's winning more battles against the "Major 5" conference schools, he's getting more high level playmakers the last couple years. Problem is, the few high level playmakers he picked up early in his time here on offense have either not panned out, or not even been on the field. We were pretty much all in on guys like Nelson, Harbison, McDonald, and even going back further, Quentin Gardner and neither of them came through. That's a major issue for this offense, which clearly is dying for more playmakers on it.

There's a reason the defense is playing at a pretty decent clip and the offense continues to tread water. QBs being consistently underclassmen, receivers keep falling away...that's going to be a problem. Notice our running game is solid, and we've had okay consistently on the line and at RB.

Problem is, the few high level playmakers he picked up early in his time here on offense have either not panned out, or not even been on the field.

We're no different than most teams in Power 5 conferences in that regard.

If you go to a general college football board on a daily basis (I go to reddit.com/r/cfb) especially in the off season, you see so many guys transferring, leaving for whatever reason, kicked off for violations or other things. It's quite common, but we kind of have tunnel vision on things like this.

If you go to a general college football board on a daily basis (I go to reddit.com/r/cfb) especially in the off season, you see so many guys transferring, leaving for whatever reason, kicked off for violations or other things. It's quite common, but we kind of have tunnel vision on things like this.

Oh, no doubt about that. But my point was more that we only pick up a few of those types of guys, and then when all of them essentially bail out, it's a bigger problem for us cause we don't lock in a ton of them. We're picking up a few more now, so that should help, but that doesn't erase the first couple years of whiffs.

UU I never would've pegged you as a fellow redditer. Interesting

Top Bottom