All Things New BBALL Practice Facility

I'm thinking that although he's essentially turned it into his own private b-ball practice court, that volleyball still has rights to it at times. I'm just guessing on that though.
that would seem to be a safe guess. Upon a quick google search I don't see any other major program practice facility that shares with volleyball.

It could also allow another program to take control of it without needing another court replacement once MBB gets a new facility.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

What I like about this one is how Richard is advertising that we are an uptempo, fast paced team.

Hopefully no one notices that the team's tempo was in the bottom quartile of all D-I squads in the nation... or that their defensive turnover % dropped quite a bit last season. ;)

Hopefully no one notices that the team's tempo was in the bottom quartile of all D-I squads in the nation... or that their defensive turnover % dropped quite a bit last season. ;)

go-away.gif

He's advertising how he wants to run. You're being an obtuse ass.

Go away.

Use of the word "tempo" does not necessarily mean getting shots up early in the possession. Sometimes "tempo" can be established through active movement of the ball in the halfcourt set as well. Statistics do not tell the entire story. Last year's team clearly played at a higher pace.

To paraphrase the great Mark Twain: "There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

Use of the word "tempo" does not necessarily mean getting shots up early in the possession. Sometimes "tempo" can be established through active movement of the ball in the halfcourt set as well. Statistics do not tell the entire story. Last year's team clearly played at a higher pace. To paraphrase the great Mark Twain: "There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

The word tempo in the context of college basketball is all about possessions per game. Obviously pushing the pace of the game increases tempo. Active half court sets have nothing to do with tempo.

Pitino will be the first to tell you he wants to increase possessions compared to last year and get shots up. The B1G slugfests will slow us down, but I expect to see a big uptick in possessions this year as we move towards the style of ball Pitino wants to play with his own players.

Pitino has reflected on last season and admitted that the pace last year was not where he wanted it... so, he-he-he all by yourself in front of your computer if it makes you feel cleaver ;)

The word tempo in the context of college basketball is all about possessions per game. Obviously pushing the pace of the game increases tempo. Active half court sets have nothing to do with tempo.

Pitino will be the first to tell you he wants to increase possessions compared to last year and get shots up. The B1G slugfests will slow us down, but I expect to see a big uptick in possessions this year as we move towards the style of ball Pitino wants to play with his own players.

Not what I was saying, but thanks for the education. I am, as you may have surmised, an idiot.

My point was that progress was made. He was working within the confines of a roster that he, in large part, did not assemble. It's tough to get a Clydesdale to win the Kentucky Derby. And I'm not criticizing the Clydesdale. How else would we get our beer? They're just not really the right breed for Churchill Downs.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Man, a local company ponies up $30 million and nobody (besides the usually stellar Bleed) acknowledges it on this board? This is an incredibly generous and significant donation from a local company to support Gopher athletics. Kudos to Land O'Lakes for getting the ball rolling in a big way. I will support their company best that I can.

Not what I was saying, but thanks for the education. I am, as you may have surmised, an idiot. My point was that progress was made. He was working within the confines of a roster that he, in large part, did not assemble. It's tough to get a Clydesdale to win the Kentucky Derby. And I'm not criticizing the Clydesdale. How else would we get our beer? They're just not really the right breed for Churchill Downs.

Absolutely! Can't wait to see the shift in style and see if it can be successfully done in this league.

Man, a local company ponies up $30 million and nobody (besides the usually stellar Bleed) acknowledges it on this board? This is an incredibly generous and significant donation from a local company to support Gopher athletics. Kudos to Land O'Lakes for getting the ball rolling in a big way. I will support their company best that I can.
Heck yeah! Sorry to get off point. GW brings this whole board down.

Great donation by Land O'Lakes. It really is a significant donation. Norwood deserves a lot of credit. However, more needs to be done. We could really use a couple more like these.

In any event, great start. Now let's finish it.

Great donation by Land O'Lakes. It really is a significant donation. Norwood deserves a lot of credit. However, more needs to be done. We could really use a couple more like these.

In any event, great start. Now let's finish it.

Nice donation! Land O'Lakes wax milk cartons center pieced a kitchen table for seven kids living in Le Sueur all throughout the 60's for my family. Written words on the cartons were our only distraction during cereal refueling. Where I live the milk isn't available but butter and cheese is and Land O'Lakes will get my next purchases of these staples.

I am wondering when beej will join the donation parade. After all, company profits are all that matter.

Still a nice donation, but it's $25M over 10 years, not $30M. $15M goes toward "the $190M"... and it's not just from Land O'Lakes the company.

7.9% of the way there!

Still a nice donation, but it's $25M over 10 years, not $30M. $15M goes toward "the $190M"... and it's not just from Land O'Lakes the company.

7.9% of the way there!

With 'fans' like you, why do we even bother? Let's just burn it all and root for Marquette like you do.

With 'fans' like you, why do we even bother? Let's just burn it all and root for Marquette like you do.

I actually think there is hope. The timing won't be what it should be, but I think the U will come around and try to get the key things done fairly soon (e.g. football, bball) even with a significant shortfall to the "goal" of $190M and for everything to be built in 6 to 8 years.

7.9% of the way there!

I see your point, but the "U" got $35 million over 25(!) years from TCF Bank for naming rights to the football stadium. In comparison, this is an extremely generous gift from Land O'Lakes that is a great step toward building the facilities needed/wanted/desired. Maybe the "U" falls vastly short of "the $190M", but for now I'll be happy about a great donation that may encourage other big local companies to also contribute significantly.

FWIW, I already purchase Land O' Lakes butter and will be specifically looking for more products that they carry in my area. I also will send a short email to them thanking them for contributing to Gopher Athletics and informing them that their contribution has a positive effect on how I view their brand. I know these are very little gestures, but they are things most of us who badly want to see competitive U of M revenue sports can afford to do.

You're smart enough to realize how dumb this is. Did he have a team of his own recruits? What measure are you using for tempo? I've never seen a good one.

Exactly. Thank you.

Use of the word "tempo" does not necessarily mean getting shots up early in the possession. Sometimes "tempo" can be established through active movement of the ball in the halfcourt set as well. Statistics do not tell the entire story. Last year's team clearly played at a higher pace.

To paraphrase the great Mark Twain: "There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

I'm worried that the U will use this "good news" as an opportunity to admit the bad news that the basketball facility is being pushed back another couple years rather than breaking ground within the year.

I'm worried that the U will use this "good news" as an opportunity to admit the bad news that the basketball facility is being pushed back another couple years rather than breaking ground within the year.

When did they say they would break ground in a year?

Top Bottom