Souhan: Adam Weber "has a better NFL future than Tim Tebow"

Can we all at least agree that souhan sucks?

Hey souhan (not capitalized on purpose, both times), I know you're going to read this, and you are a hack that has wasted a once promising talent.

That last sentence has nothing to do with your current story, it could have been written after anything you have published over the past 10 years. I just felt it was necessary to get the focus of this thread back where it belongs.

We have not been an NFL qb factory. His percentage was inflated by the type of offense we ran. Guess I should say offenses, since we changed almost ever year. Good kid and had some great games(MSU), but majorly inconsistent. Whoever mentioned the bounce passes nailed it.

Aren't you trying to have it both ways here? Either he was lucky to play a particular offense that inflated his numbers, or he was unlucky to have had to work under four offensive coordinators in four years under Brewster.

Tebow had countless d1 offers from the big boys, you put him on the gophers and our team would instantly be improved more than Adam weber could ever dream. He wasn't taking home heismans based on the talent around him. Beyond sheer talent, tebow inspires and motivates his team, something i wish could be said about weber. Saying that Adam has a better future is beyond insane, in fact, I'd be surprised if he is in the league at all in 2-3 years. Todd bouman type ceiling at best.

The article by Reilly was amazing. It is hard not to be skeptical about pro athletes these days with all the horrible stories we tend to hear about them. It would be really nice to believe there are some good guys out there that "get it" and can see the big picture. Taking faith out of the equation the stuff he is doing by bringing a sick or dying fan to every game and taking the time to actually interact with that person is flat out awesome.

I don't really have a strong opinion on Tebow either way in terms of liking him or hating him. The religion stuff is what it is. The one thing I will say about Tebow is that he keeps on winning while everyone keeps on expecting him to fail. I truly hope that all the other stuff is genuine and that we never have to read about it all being an act. After that article by Reilly I have a new level of respect for the guy.

considering how wonderful it would be to wear the maroon and gold: just take a look at the comments these"Gopher fans" have about a kid who played his heart out for the U of M with NO offensive line...NO running game...only a couple of decent receivers and virtually NO support from the fans at any point in time. Also, he had the bad fortune to play for his last four seasons for a train wreck of a coach, a revolving rotation of offensive coordinators and offenses and NEVER missed a down even when he was hurt.

Yes, these fans are pretty much the face of the fans of Golden Gopher Football.

So, kids...IF you are considering making the U of M your home...read these pages and believe what you read here.

They HATED Adam Weber...even though Weber was constantly bleeding Maroon & Gold and giving EVERYTHING he had for the cause. He should have sued the coaches he had and the fans for "non-support..."

Sometimes I am really ashamed to be a long time Golden Gopher Fan when I read the kind of stuff that is said about a GREAT competetor who played for four years as the quarterback in the WORST situation Golden Gopher Football has EVER experienced. These people are STILL trying to crucify Adam Weber.

This is a pretty damn tough gig if you still want it kids. Just read this site and the "fans" will show you what they are made of...

Personally, I'd like to apologize for the way people have treated Adam Weber and will ALWAYS consider him to be one of the most "golden" of the Gophers during the past decade. He ALWAYS showed up and he was ALWAYS a classy young man.

In your faces Weber bashers....

; 0 (

Good thing we have a wren to toss every gopher fan into his "no support fans" zone. Except him/her of course.

Are you talking about the hate that spews out of wren's month when somebody suggests that maybe Gray should start or are you talking about the hate that wren has for Joe Maturi?

Wren would like to have you believe that he is the moral compass of right and wrong. The truth is that his inability to understand and allow any opinion about Weber other than his own is the real hate here. He does the same thing when somebody expresses an opinion about Mason other than his own.

No, I was only commentating on one line from Wren (that's why I only quoted the one line) that I agreed with. If I agreed with all of it, I would quoted all of it.

Weber was a victim of circumstances at the U. He was never going to be the guy that got us back to the Rose Bowl, no matter who was the coach, but he should have had more stability in the coaching department. I don't get the "hate" for the guy. The hate was was evident here and at the games at ear splitting levels. Pretty classless to say the least.

I also don't get the "Hate" for Ralph Sampson III, but that is a subject for another board. I guess I just don't get why fans really do "hate" one of our own? Dislike...fine. Complain about this or that...fine. Flat out hatred...petty and stupid.

By the way. I wanted Gray to play some at qb when he was a frosh. Wasted opportunity imo.

And to the Weber-Tebow thing. Who cares what Souhan writes or thinks? I think everyone here knows he is a total hack.

I think the main dynamic surrounding Tebow now has less to do with his football ability (or lack thereof) and all about the fact that he's become an actor in the culture wars really through no fault of his own. He's very demonstrative in his Christian faith (I'm a Christian, but admittedly don't truly "get" his on-field "witness") and from the Reilly article, it's obvious he does "walk the walk," so I think he's genuine and all of that.

As for Weber, I'm not going to throw him under the bus for what he did here. He had his good and bad games and he did have some mechanical issues that needed to be ironed out. If those get ironed out, my guess is he'll be able to stick around the game for awhile. Strong, tough kid with a lot of leadership ability.

Tebow also has his share of mechanical issues and from my brief observations of him, I think his main problem is that he can only throw a handful of the variety of passes that every NFL quarterback has to throw to be successful. He might improve or he might not. Too early to tell.

I think the main dynamic surrounding Tebow now has less to do with his football ability (or lack thereof) and all about the fact that he's become an actor in the culture wars really through no fault of his own. He's very demonstrative in his Christian faith (I'm a Christian, but admittedly don't truly "get" his on-field "witness") and from the Reilly article, it's obvious he does "walk the walk," so I think he's genuine and all of that.

As for Weber, I'm not going to throw him under the bus for what he did here. He had his good and bad games and he did have some mechanical issues that needed to be ironed out. If those get ironed out, my guess is he'll be able to stick around the game for awhile. Strong, tough kid with a lot of leadership ability.

Tebow also has his share of mechanical issues and from my brief observations of him, I think his main problem is that he can only throw a handful of the variety of passes that every NFL quarterback has to throw to be successful. He might improve or he might not. Too early to tell.
The real difference between them is Tebw is a guy that will put ppl in the seats, Weber won't. So by desinging an offense based on Tebow, they are going to get a lot of people watching their games.

The starting QB gets far too much credit when the team wins and take too much blame when they lose. Never has this been more evident than the case of Tim Tebow. He did not win the playoff game. The Broncos did. How quickly people forget that Denver needed to win their last game...at home nonetheless to secure their playoff berth. Tim Tebow went 6-22 for 60 yards. Denver scored 3 points. It is only because the Raiders choked once again that the Broncos even had the opportunity to host a battered Pittsburgh team in the first round. Granted, Tebow played well enough to help his team win the game. But he was no more important than Demarius Thomas, Robert Ayers, Von Miller, Elvis Dumervil or the entire offensive line .

First of all he's not on an NFL roster. He's on the practice squad. Second, I'm so sick of observing this argument. He's not as good as his supporters claim and he's not as bad as his opposition claims. Just like Tim Tebow, I dont dislike Adam Weber but I sure do hate the subject of Adam Weber.

Adam Weber is nothing more than an afterthought on the Denver Bronco squad.

He will be selling medical devices in the Twin Cities in three years.

Wren is correct

From my first hand experience going through the recruitment process, which included no less than 10 Minnesota high school players offered by the U and my 4 years of interaction with u players and their families, and my inside interaction with players and their families at the school to east. It's spoken as fact that mn fans suck becuase of what Wren stated. Hell, I Have said as much.

Want in on a joke? The joke is Wisconsin fans believe that anyone who wears W on his helmet is the best player in all of college football. Mn fans believe that anyone who wears a M on their helmet sucks. If Adam would have taken the scholarship Alvarez begged him take he would have played on a national stage and been high draft choice....and the same knuckle head Mn fans that criticize him would be complaining how great he is and saying we need to keep players like him at home.

My point? You are entitled to your opinions bur your comments does have a negative impact on gopher recruits.

From my first hand experience going through the recruitment process, which included no less than 10 Minnesota high school players offered by the U and my 4 years of interaction with u players and their families, and my inside interaction with players and their families at the school to east. It's spoken as fact that mn fans suck becuase of what Wren stated. Hell, I Have said as much.

Want in on a joke? The joke is Wisconsin fans believe that anyone who wears W on his helmet is the best player in all of college football. Mn fans believe that anyone who wears a M on their helmet sucks. If Adam would have taken the scholarship Alvarez begged him take he would have played on a national stage and been high draft choice....and the same knuckle head Mn fans that criticize him would be complaining how great he is and saying we need to keep players like him at home.

My point? You are entitled to your opinions bur your comments does have a negative impact on gopher recruits.

I agree that there is way too much of that attitude among our fan base. And as it concerns Adam Weber it is amazing just how many people have a negative attitude about this kid. I got to know Adam fairly well during his time at the U. He was a great guy both on and off the field. He was also a very good player who got caught in a terrible situation.

Recruited by Mason and spent his redshirt year learning the offense led by Browning. Then Mason gets fired and he has to learn a totally different offense led by Dunbar as the team was running a spread with only 2 decent receivers. Spends two years with Dunbar running the ball a lot and putting up decent numbers as a freshman and sophomore. Dunbar leaves and Fisch comes in for the 2009 season. Fisch changes his throwing motion tries to run an insanely complex offense that has the players heads spinning all season and the results on the field were awful. Fisch leaves and Horton takes over. Simplifies things and gets back to basics. Weber puts up decent numbers again despite the coach getting fired the defense being terrible and the fan base bashing him, begging for the backup to get in there.

So in 5 years he had 4 offensive coordinators (not counting Hammock because he was running Horton's offense)
Saw two head coaches get fired
Had to learn 4 different offenses that were all very different.
Had an offensive line with tons of holes
No stud running backs
One great receiver in Decker and a bunch of very average guys
A defense that constantly put the team in a hole
A fanbase that was always looking to replace him

Web gets blamed for a lot which is crazy because while he was not a great QB he was a very solid player and when you look at all the things he had to deal with during his 5 years at the U it is amazing that he was able to handle things with the amount of class and dignity that he did. I don't know what Weber will do at the next level but the kid has some ability so if he lands in the right place he could have a very long NFL career as a backup QB and maybe even a starter at some point.

I couldn't agree more. And while I can't speak for recruiting, I know players regularly read this site in early 2000 and I am some on our current roster do as well.

I really think this is an incredibly bizarre argument.

First, Souhan was doing nothing but trolling, he knew that saying the name Tebow and then comparing him to a guy like Weber would generate a lot of clicks and it worked. He's a moron, his analysis is about as empty as it gets, and the argument is completely pointless. Do you think there are articles in Chicago saying "Mike Kafka will be better than Tebow"?

Second, there has been virtually zero hate on this message board for Adam Weber. The general sentiment on this board from the "Weber bashers" is that they don't think he will have as much of a career as Tebow, but we hope he does. I am 100X more of an Adam Weber fan than I am a Tim Tebow fan, yet people like Wren think that I hate Adam Weber because I don't think he'll do as much in the NFL as Tim Tebow? That's absurd.

Having respectful criticisms of players is perfectly fine.

If you think this website is bad, you just haven't spent anytime on the internet. Gopherhole is about the most positive website i've ever seen for a team that has struggled like we have. The problem is that some die hard Gopher fans disagreed over who should have played between Gray and Weber. That happens at EVERY school. That happens at school's that recruit really well. Our problem, as a fan base, is that we aren't very big. The problem is the apathy that exists around the program.

Souhan just repeated his worthless drivel.

Blame Jedd Fisch! The average reader isn't going to realize that Fisch has been successful at other stops. He sure didn't ruin the arm of Jacory Harris. But keep yelling it from the rooftops Souhan.

Weber was a better thrower in college than Tebow?
Tebow's stats: 661 - 995 (66% completion percentage) for 88 TDs and 16 INTs
Weber's stats: 909 - 1594 (57% completion percentage) for 72 TDs and 51 INTs.

I understand that there could be reasons to say Weber's numbers aren't as impressive as Tebow's besides just their respective abilities, but to make a blanket statement like "Weber was a better passer in college than Tebow" is fraudulent.

Souhan just repeated his worthless drivel.

Blame Jedd Fisch! The average reader isn't going to realize that Fisch has been successful at other stops. He sure didn't ruin the arm of Jacory Harris. But keep yelling it from the rooftops Souhan.

Weber was a better thrower in college than Tebow?

Tebow's stats: 661 - 995 (66% completion percentage) for 88 TDs and 16 INTs
Weber's stats: 909 - 1594 (57% completion percentage) for 72 TDs and 51 INTs.

I understand that there could be reasons to say Weber's numbers aren't as impressive as Tebow's

besides just their respective abilities, but to make a blanket statement like "Weber was a better
passer in college than Tebow" is fraudulent.

My man, how many 1st round players did Tebow play with on offense? How did the Florida QB (Chris Leak who isn't in the NFL) that played before Tebow do? 895 - 1458 (61.4 completion percentage) for 88 td's and.
42 int's. What about coaching comparisons? All things being equal Souhan may be right.

24, Souhan could say that Weber is a better thrower than Tebow and be right. But he's saying that Weber is a better QB than Tebow, which is crazy talk. I like Weber and I did a lot of cheering for the kid, but as usual Souhan is a barking dog.

My man, how many 1st round players did Tebow play with on offense? How did the Florida QB (Chris Leak who isn't in the NFL) that played before Tebow do? 895 - 1458 (61.4 completion percentage) for 88 td's and.
42 int's. What about coaching comparisons? All things being equal Souhan may be right.

I understand that you can't compare the amount of talent around these players, but to make a blanket statement like Souhan's is preposterous. Every single indication points to the fact that Tebow was better. It'd be like saying..."Duane Bennett was a better runner in college than Montee Ball", have someone say "look at the talent around the players, all of the All Big 10, NFL caliber OL Ball got to run behind". That's true, Montee Ball has had every possible advantage to succeed (just like Tebow), but he was still better than Bennett (he's one of my favorite Gophers).

I understand that you can't compare the amount of talent around these players, but to make a blanket statement like Souhan's is preposterous. Every single indication points to the fact that Tebow was better. It'd be like saying..."Duane Bennett was a better runner in college than Montee Ball", have someone say "look at the talent around the players, all of the All Big 10, NFL caliber OL Ball got to run behind". That's true, Montee Ball has had every possible advantage to succeed (just like Tebow), but he was still better than Bennett (he's one of my favorite Gophers).

You make some great points. And I agree I would have to give the nod to Tebow, I just couldn't adamantly say someone who sees it differently is being completely unreasonable.

The Duane/Ball argument doesnt hold up because unlike Weber/Tebow, Duane doesnt have comparable production.

You make some great points. And I agree I would have to give the nod to Tebow, I just couldn't adamantly say someone who sees it differently is being completely unreasonable.

The Duane/Ball argument doesnt hold up because unlike Weber/Tebow, Duane doesnt have comparable production.

Weber doesn't have comparable production either.

Tebow had 5.5 TDs for every INT
Weber had 1.4 TDs for every INT

Tebow had a TD every 11.3 PA
Weber had a TD every 22.1 PA

Tebow averaged 9.3 yards per passing attempt
Weber averaged 6.7 yards per passing attempt

Tebow was a statistically better thrower than Weber, by a lot, in every measurable way.

Top Bottom