All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Haven't seen any discussion on season 2 of Orange is the New Black, but we recently finished and found it to be really good, a real improvement upon Season 1. The introduction of Vee shifted the focus towards prison intrigue rather than the melodrama of Piper and Alex. Personally, I find this series much more compelling when the focus is away from its main character (Piper).

Orange, Happy Valley

I agree on Orange season 2. I just finished the first season/mini series Happy Valley on netflix it is a very solid Brittish cop drama. It reminds me of Broadchurch which will be updated with an american version this fall.

Haven't seen any discussion on season 2 of Orange is the New Black, but we recently finished and found it to be really good, a real improvement upon Season 1. The introduction of Vee shifted the focus towards prison intrigue rather than the melodrama of Piper and Alex. Personally, I find this series much more compelling when the focus is away from its main character (Piper).

Is anyone here still watching The League? The first couple of episodes this season were solid (better than most of last season) but then they have this incredibly odd episode where it was just Jason Mantzoukas and Seth Rogen as Rafi and Dirty Randy and it was just awful. One of the worst episodes I've ever seen on TV. It had nothing to do with the ongoing series plot and wasn't even remotely funny.

I found Rafi occasionally funny a few seasons ago, but now I can barely take his character in small doses.

Go Gophers!!

Is anyone here still watching The League? The first couple of episodes this season were solid (better than most of last season) but then they have this incredibly odd episode where it was just Jason Mantzoukas and Seth Rogen as Rafi and Dirty Randy and it was just awful. One of the worst episodes I've ever seen on TV. It had nothing to do with the ongoing series plot and wasn't even remotely funny.

I found Rafi occasionally funny a few seasons ago, but now I can barely take his character in small doses.

Go Gophers!!

I completely agree. I'm a big fan of the show, and I can handle Rafi in small doses, but that episode was just terrible.

Go Gophers!!

It wrapped up how/why Rafi died. Simple as that. I found it o.k. as I think Rafi was funny. Seth Rogen isn't that funny, so I wish he died instead.

Same. They had one of those episodes at the end of last year too. I took the series off my DVR it was so stupid. I gave it another shot this year, and it was better until that episode. I fast forwarded through all of it. Refused to even watch it.

Homeland Season 4 starts Sunday night with two episodes!

Go Gophers!!

Has anyone followed The Blacklist?

I just started watching the first season two weeks ago. I hadn't heard of it until I heard about the hype of Season 2.

I generally don't like the series that have a new villain every episode. They always seem to have a bad flow to them, but the side stories and mind games in this show are very intriguing.

I'm six episodes in so far and I give it a thumbs up right now.

I just started watching the first season two weeks ago. I hadn't heard of it until I heard about the hype of Season 2.

I generally don't like the series that have a new villain every episode. They always seem to have a bad flow to them, but the side stories and mind games in this show are very intriguing.

I'm six episodes in so far and I give it a thumbs up right now.

Thanks

Some thoughts on the 2014 season of a few series:

Homeland - very strong season so far. The only episodes I don't like is when Carrie is with her young child. It's an odd storyline to say the least and doesn't really add to her character development. But this season is stronger than last year so far.

Sons of Anarchy - like most drama series, going past Season 6 or 7 is pretty difficult to stay strong (which is why The Wire, Breaking Bad, Friday Night Lights etc. were so brilliant), Sons is a bit slow and the storyline a bit tired. But it's still a fantastic show and I look forward to seeing how things play out with Jax and his Mom (I am an episode or two behind as of now).

Parenthood - for those that watch this show, wow, fantastic writing. As good of a "real life" writing as I have consistently seen on a show in a long time. My wife and I find ourselves pausing the show to talk about what we would do in certain family dynamics/situations.

Modern Family - Great season so far. Those writers are the best in the business.

Go Gophers!!

'Parks And Recreation' Final Season Will Only Air For A Month

NBC finally set a date for the last season of "Parks and Recreation": Tuesday, Jan. 13 at 8 p.m.

But there's a catch. The network will air the seventh and final season of Amy Poehler's little show that could for just over a month. Every Tuesday, there will be two back-to-back episodes, leading up to a series finale on Feb. 24.

“In an effort to give it the send-off it deserves, we wanted to 'eventize' the final season to maximize the impact of these episodes, which really do take the show to a new level," NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt said in a statement. "The highly anticipated one-hour finale will air behind 'The Voice' in order to lead the largest audience possible into what promises to be a very special hour of television."

Poehler and her team have remained quiet on what's up for Leslie Knope (Poehler) and the town of Pawnee in Season 7, but the end of last season saw Leslie and her husband Ben Wyatt (Adam Scott) taking care of triplets in a three-year flash forward. Leslie ran a regional branch of the National Parks Service, Jon Hamm made a cameo and it was great.

In addition to the rest of the Parks department -- Nick Offerman, Chris Pratt, Aubrey Plaza, Retta and Aziz Ansari -- Megan Mullally, Natalie Morales and Rachel Dratch are set to make guest appearances. Hamm will return too.

"Parks" is currently NBC's longest-running comedy and originally started as a midseason replacement back in 2009.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/01/parks-and-recreation-season-7-premiere_n_6250418.html

Go Pawnee!!

Any other Sons of Anarchy fans out there? I originally started that series from recommendations in this thread. I just finished the Series Finale which I thought was fantastic. This season dragged on a bit, but the last two episodes were awesome and the ending was perfect, and one of the better endings of a series that I've seen in a long time.

The first 3-4 seasons of Sons were just awesome. Like many Dramas that venture past Season 5, it went past its peak, but still a great show and probably Top 5 all time for me.

Go Jax Teller!!

Ogee posted this in the movie thread.

HBO is playing The Wire for anyone interested. Season 1, all episodes was today.

Season 2, all episodes starts tomorrow, Saturday morning.

Season 3, Sunday.... You get the picture.

HBOS, whichever one that is. Starts 9am pacific, 11am central each day looks like.

Is anybody but me watching "The Affair" on Showtime? It's extraordinary IMHO. Nominated for a Golden Globe. Maura Tierney and Joshua Jackson as the cheated-on spouses are giving the best acting performances I think I've ever seen in television. I could go on and on about this show. It's about so many things - so many themes, so many aspects of the human condition.

Whenever I read this thread, I always feel like I'm not as high-brow as the rest of you. I'm primarily a sci-fi/fantasy/comic book geek, so I tend to watch the "genre" shows - currently "Agents of SHIELD," "Arrow," "the Flash," and "Walking Dead." I will also watch "Law & Order-SVU" if I'm home, and I've been watching "Hell on Wheels" on AMC.

One show I've been watching lately, which also falls into the genre of sci-fi/fantasy is "The Librarians" on TNT. It's basically goofy escapist entertainment - which is what I like to take my mind off the usual grind of work and dealing with my boss. The Librarians does feature Rebecca Romijn (no longer Stamos) from the 1st X-Men movies. Last week's episode was Christmas-themed, with famed genre actor Bruce Campbell (the Evil Dead movies) playing a rather demented Santa Claus. I admit it's stupid, but sometimes stupid is just what I need. (which is why I watch "The Sports Show" on Sunday night to see what Sid says......)

Is anybody but me watching "The Affair" on Showtime? It's extraordinary IMHO. Nominated for a Golden Globe. Maura Tierney and Joshua Jackson as the cheated-on spouses are giving the best acting performances I think I've ever seen in television. I could go on and on about this show. It's about so many things - so many themes, so many aspects of the human condition.

He!l no!! I would watch it but I don't want to give the better half any ideas. Who needs that kind of stress?!?!

But with the fam out of town for the better part of the next week, I may have to give it a look... I have to admit I'm pretty curious.

For any Top Gear fans out there, they just aired their two-hour Patagonia special. Not my favorite of their specials, but the ending was pretty absurd. It appears that the Falkland tensions still run pretty strong in Tierra Del Fuego.

I've been watching Scandal and trying to catch up. I'm almost done with season 2.

It's actually very good. I don't particularly care for the President in the show. I think he's a pretty crappy actor, but the rest is really good for a network TV show.

I think I'll move on to catching back up with Homeland after I get through this.

Ogee posted this in the movie thread.

HBO is playing The Wire for anyone interested. Season 1, all episodes was today.

Season 2, all episodes starts tomorrow, Saturday morning.

Season 3, Sunday.... You get the picture.

HBOS, whichever one that is. Starts 9am pacific, 11am central each day looks like.

The Wire is my second favorite series of all time. Just loved it and I recommend it to anyone that asks for a new series.

CNN had a "Then and Now" of as a reporter visits scenes from the amazing show:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/27/showbiz/feat-the-wire-locations/index.html?hpt=en_c2

Go Jimmy McNulty!!

I've been watching Scandal and trying to catch up. I'm almost done with season 2.

It's actually very good. I don't particularly care for the President in the show. I think he's a pretty crappy actor, but the rest is really good for a network TV show.

I think I'll move on to catching back up with Homeland after I get through this.

My wife is a big Scandal fan. I watched for a while, but I think season 2 is where I finally called it quits. It just ends up getting so absurd. It definitely fills that "soap opera while still maintaining a tiny bit of dignity" niche. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just something that I'm not able to keep watching.

We finished the Homeland season last night. The season finale was a complete dud, which is odd because the previous 5-6 episodes were fantastic. For anyone that watches this series, I'd be curious of your feedback on how this season ended. I find Carrie's character completely devoid of personal relationships, and any time they try to have her talking about anything personal, it's awful TV, not to mention, they oddly threw in a new character that hasn't even been mentioned and we're supposed to care?! Very weird writing. I'm hoping the show sticks to its roots.

Go Gophers!!

My wife and I finally started watching Dexter. Made it through the first season in a week. Has not disappointed so far.

Whenever I read this thread, I always feel like I'm not as high-brow as the rest of you. I'm primarily a sci-fi/fantasy/comic book geek, so I tend to watch the "genre" shows - currently "Agents of SHIELD," "Arrow," "the Flash," and "Walking Dead." I will also watch "Law & Order-SVU" if I'm home, and I've been watching "Hell on Wheels" on AMC.

One show I've been watching lately, which also falls into the genre of sci-fi/fantasy is "The Librarians" on TNT. It's basically goofy escapist entertainment - which is what I like to take my mind off the usual grind of work and dealing with my boss. The Librarians does feature Rebecca Romijn (no longer Stamos) from the 1st X-Men movies. Last week's episode was Christmas-themed, with famed genre actor Bruce Campbell (the Evil Dead movies) playing a rather demented Santa Claus. I admit it's stupid, but sometimes stupid is just what I need. (which is why I watch "The Sports Show" on Sunday night to see what Sid says......)

I second your recommendation of "The Librarians". But you didn't mention 2 of my favorites in that series: John Larroquette and Christian Kane. Even though both are playing to type (Larroquette stuffy, and Kane will fight at the drop of a hat), they do it superbly.

My wife and I finally started watching Dexter. Made it through the first season in a week. Has not disappointed so far.

Like with most great dramas, the first 4-5 seasons are fantastic. After that?...

But definitely enjoy the first 4-5 seasons as they are great.

Go Dexter!!

Top Bottom