Spring Practice Observations

Jack jones,

May I ask: from memory, it seems that there were several occasions in which the left guard and center seemed out of sync with one another in pass protection. As in, they'd each pass a blitzing LB or stunting DL to each other, as though each one was expecting the other one to handle it, and the defender would blow right through and destroy the play.

It seemed mainly focused on center-left guard communication -- not so much anywhere else. At least not persistently.

Did you see that too?

Or am I making things up in my head?

Did the Gophers have a spring game ? I know they did something for people paying into NIL deals.

Will the BTN be in town and able to show plays and commentary from any of it ?

I have not seen actual video plays of anything this spring season.

Did the Gophers have a spring game ?
Nope. Nothing in the stadium for the general public. One of the only P5 to have nothing like that.

They made up weak excuses for not doing it.

The truth that they won’t admit is:
They’re never going to do it again, because they’re afraid of having players stolen by NIL thieves during the spring window.

Did the Gophers have a spring game ? I know they did something for people paying into NIL deals.

Unfortunately, no spring game and not sure there will be in the near future going forward. PJ is not willing to give outside exposure about the team in the current NIL and transfer portal environment. Can't say I blame him.

Jack jones,

May I ask: from memory, it seems that there were several occasions in which the left guard and center seemed out of sync with one another in pass protection. As in, they'd each pass a blitzing LB or stunting DL to each other, as though each one was expecting the other one to handle it, and the defender would blow right through and destroy the play.

It seemed mainly focused on center-left guard communication -- not so much anywhere else. At least not persistently.

Did you see that too?

Or am I making things up in my head?
No you are not making this up. It seems as if our coaching staff concern itself with being the toughest SOB on the field instead coaching the OLinemen to communicate and understand the defensive alignment they are facing.

Nope. Nothing in the stadium for the general public. One of the only P5 to have nothing like that.

They made up weak excuses for not doing it.

The truth that they won’t admit is:
They’re never going to do it again, because they’re afraid of having players stolen by NIL thieves during the spring window.
Fleck literally said this was at least part of the reason they're not doing it.

Fleck never says anything. You might have inferred what you wanted to infer from the cryptic non-answers that define Fleck’s standard media MO.
I hadn't even thought about the transfer portal/NIL when it comes to the spring game so it was definitely not what I wanted to infer. I thought it was pretty obvious as to what he was trying to say.

Last edited:

I hadn't even thought about the transfer portal when it comes to the spring game so it was definitely not what I wanted to infer. I thought it was pretty obvious as to what he was trying to say.
Here is what PJ said about cancelling the spring game for those who missed it.

"I want to keep things inside the best I possibly can keep things inside. We’re going to have plenty of scrimmages with what we do and what we’re allowed to do inside our walls... It was strictly to benefit our football program, period."

It's obvious what PJ is saying IMO.

Not in the slightest.

You and GII “know” because you’re pretending it says what you want it to say.

This could just as easily mean he wants to control temp/climate conditions for practices by keeping them indoors.

Completely cryptic, non-forthcoming, typical PJ Fleck media non-answer.

Here is what PJ said about cancelling the spring game for those who missed it.

"I want to keep things inside the best I possibly can keep things inside. We’re going to have plenty of scrimmages with what we do and what we’re allowed to do inside our walls... It was strictly to benefit our football program, period."

This is clearly confirms whatever it is I already believed about PJ long before the spring game was cancelled!

Not in the slightest.

You and GII “know” because you’re pretending it says what you want it to say.

This could just as easily mean he wants to control temp/climate conditions for practices by keeping them indoors.

Completely cryptic, non-forthcoming, typical PJ Fleck media non-answer.
I admit it, you are right. When he said "the changing of college athletics" he was talking about weather conditions and not NIL/transfer portal.

given a choice between trying to figure out what the bleep Fleck is talking about on any given subject - or having a dental procedure with no anesthesia - I might take the dental procedure. it would be less painful.

Look - I have come around to grudgingly admit that I think Fleck is a decent coach. but I still grind my teeth every time the guy speaks. which is why I need the dental procedure......

given a choice between trying to figure out what the bleep Fleck is talking about on any given subject - or having a dental procedure with no anesthesia - I might take the dental procedure. it would be less painful.

Look - I have come around to grudgingly admit that I think Fleck is a decent coach. but I still grind my teeth every time the guy speaks. which is why I need the dental procedure......
Really? I don't think Fleck is really that different than other coaches. They are all full of BS to varying degrees and speak in code because they don't want to give much away. You may just relate to certain personalities more than others.

That's weird because IMO if you watch his press conferences I think PJ is WAY more open than most coaches about what he things and what is going on.

That's weird because IMO if you watch his press conferences I think PJ is WAY more open than most coaches about what he things and what is going on.
There are also a lot of coaches that act like they are giving you info, but then you eventually find out it was just BS.

There are also a lot of coaches that act like they are giving you info, but then you eventually find out it was just BS.
Yeah you watch a Harbaugh conference and dude says NOTHING. Lotta coaches are like that, and I don't blame them.

PJ just seems to say a lot more, even if it isn't already groundbreaking news.

When he said "the changing of college athletics"
?

?

That was only part of what he said:

"Two, I want to keep things inside the best I possibly can keep things inside, with the way college football is changing," Fleck continued. "And then being able to have our fans be able to understand the changing of college football, the changing of college athletics. I think we have a Dinkytown Athletes practice that will be open to Dinkytown members. I want our fans, and urge our fans, to be a part of Dinkytown Athletes, which is going to give you a chance to be part of more things that we do."

Appreciate the extra quote, but that still doesn’t even come close to clarifying. Again, you’re reading what you want to read.

Would take zero effort for him to be actually forthcoming. One extra sentence. “We’re worried about being tampered with and then losing players in the spring window.”

Why is he afraid to say that?

Then again we’re the only P5 that went to such extreme, paranoid lengths such as to lock the general public out of a spring stadium event.

Appreciate the extra quote, but that still doesn’t even come close to clarifying. Again, you’re reading what you want to read.

Would take zero effort for him to be actually forthcoming. One extra sentence. “We’re worried about being tampered with and then losing players in the spring window.”

Why is he afraid to say that?

Then again we’re the only P5 that went to such extreme, paranoid lengths such as to lock the general public out of a spring stadium event.
Your first time listening to coaches speak? He's not going to come out and say directly he's worried about tampering. Doing so brings a lot of unwanted attention.

Someone has to be the first to go this direction. I would not be surprised if at least some follow suit. Came across this at random on an Iowa message board. I'm hardly the only one that thinks this.

This seems like something that will catch on. PJ hate aside, Spring football is spread out over several weeks. If you are Minnesota, or Iowa, why let the teams with massive NIL buckets to come in and watch your kids. Let's say Tennessee has their Spring practice a week before Iowa does. They lose a CB to a knee injury. Maybe they like their #2, or maybe they like someone on Iowa's team and offer a bunch of cash. Maybe they move their #2 to starter, but look at Iowa's depth chart and see depth options to scoop up.
I can see Spring ball becoming an invitation only event for Swarm members, season ticket holders, and large donors to the university. Season ticket holders could buy access for a minimal fee, and make it a non-transferrable ticket.
The world is changing.

Your first time listening to coaches speak? He's not going to come out and say directly he's worried about tampering. Doing so brings a lot of unwanted attention.

Someone has to be the first to go this direction. I would not be surprised if at least some follow suit. Came across this at random on an Iowa message board. I'm hardly the only one that thinks this.

Iowa has as much fan base as they will ever have. They sell out 70k stadium every game.

We are far from that.

Locking out the public is not how you grow the fan base.

on Fleck - after his press conferences, I will often read the transcript of what was said, and when I just look at the words on a page, as opposed to listening to them, it really comes off as word salad.

to his credit, Fleck is able to make it sound better than it reads. but he'll give a 200-word answer to a question that could have been answered in about 25 words. if you dig through all of the verbiage, you can find some information there. but you have to dig for it. the information is almost camouflaged in between all of the other language.

again, that is just who Fleck is and how he communicates. but it leaves me wishing he would just get to the freakin' point.

I don't think holding a public spring game does much for growing it, either. If he thinks not having a spring practice will help us have another nine win season, do what you gotta do. Just win.
Every school has a little different fan base. The Washington Huskies new coach Jedd Fisch, is bringing back a real game as the last spring practice for the team. It’s at night and the special Season Ticket Club seats are sold out for the May 3rd event. All other seats are lower level general admission and free.

IMG_0097.jpeg

Last edited:

Every school has a little different fan base. The Washington Huskies new coach Jeff Fisch, is bringing back a real game as the last spring practice for the team. It’s at night and the special Season Ticket Club seats are sold out for the May 3rd event. All other seats are lower level general admission and free.

View attachment 31116
I mean, Washington is also a team that went to the playoff last year. If covid never happened and we held a spring game in 2020, I'd be willing to bet that game would've been heavily attended. Winning is the catalyst.

They didn't have a quote on quote Spring Game but they did scrimmage last Saturday for the players, coaches families, and close friends. I was only able to attend because I know a staff member. Defense is looking really good. The DL is going to cause problems for opposing offenses. The LB's will be solid as long as they can stay healthy. Secondary is way better than last year especially at CB. Safeties got a little work to do but once everyone is healthy they should be ok. I'm sure is Koi will be in the rotation at some point and he should help them depth wise. Offense is starting to show a promise. They threw the ball a lot. Max played maybe 2 series and looked solid. My main concern is his height and having time in the pocket. The OL had a decent mixed with the 1's and 2's so the chemistry wasn't the best but I believe they will be solid come August. The RB's held there own for the most, Taylor sat out of course because we need him 100% come August. The WR's still rattled by injuries but the backup's made some solid catches. What stood out the most for me was Drake. He looked really good and made some very impressive throws. All in all the is team has the potential to be sneaky good. Not saying they're going to win 10 games or even break .500, but they will be very competitive.

Last edited:

They didn't have a quote on quote Spring Game but they did scrimmage last Saturday for the players and coaches families and close friends. I was only able to attend because I know a staff member. Defense is looking really good. The DL is going to cause problems for opposing offenses. The LB's will be solid as long as they can stay healthy. Secondary is way better than last year especially at CB. Safeties got a little work to do but once everyone is healthy they should be ok. I'm sure is Koi will be in the rotation at some point and he should help them depth wise. Offense is starting to show a promise. They thew the ball a lot. Max played maybe 2 series and looked solid. My main concern is his height and having time in the pocket. The OL had a decent mixed with the 1's and 2's so the chemistry wasn't the best but I believe they will be solid come August. The RB's held there own for the most, Taylor sat out of course because we need help 100% come August. The WR's still rattled by injuries but the backup's made some solid catches. What stood out the most for me was Drake. He looked really good and made some very impressive throws. All in all the is team has the potential to be sneaky good. Not saying they're going to win 10 games or even break .500, but they will be very competitive.
Good observation on them passing a bunch, Drake got a lot of reps with the 2s/3s playing and had some great touch on a couple long throws

Top Bottom