Gopher Potential Portal Pursuits

Grant Huffman wing player visiting

Interesting player. I didn't see him before when I was looking at transfer prospects. Not a great shooter but can score. Also a stat stuffer: 12.8 pts. per game, 5.1 rbs per game, 5.3 assists per game, 1.4 steals per game. Played a lot of minutes (34 per game) for Davidson this season.

Last edited:

Interesting player. I didn't see him before when I was looking at transfer prospects. Not a great shooter but can score. Also a state stuffer: 12.8 pts. per game, 5.1 rbs per game, 5.3 assists per game, 1.4 steals per game. Played a lot of minutes (34 per game) for Davidson this season.
Sounds like a Parker Fox type energy guy

Interesting player. I didn't see him before when I was looking at transfer prospects. Not a great shooter but can score. Also a stat stuffer: 12.8 pts. per game, 5.1 rbs per game, 5.3 assists per game, 1.4 steals per game. Played a lot of minutes (34 per game) for Davidson this season.
I have no issue taking a few guys that do just fill up the stat sheet - Guys that just play hard

Not overly impressed. Seems like CBJ tries to find the unique needles in haystack and hope they turn up to prove people wrong. Disappointed in no discussions for like a Danny Wolf, Jevon Porter, Garrison type player. Seems like CBJ is planning on playing Garcia a lot at the 5 spot.

Not overly impressed. Seems like CBJ tries to find the unique needles in haystack and hope they turn up to prove people wrong. Disappointed in no discussions for like a Danny Wolf, Jevon Porter, Garrison type player. Seems like CBJ is planning on playing Garcia a lot at the 5 spot.

According to On3, Danny Wolf either did or is expected to commit to Michigan. You have to remember that we couldn't get Andrew Morgan and supposedly Nebraska's NIL offer was double ours.

You can't land leading players just based on high recruiting expectations. If you spend too much time going after players (especially big men) with a low probability of committing, you end up with Charlie Daniels. Big men go fast, even the average ones.

Ben and the U of M simply are not going to get any of those guys early in the process. We don't have the NIL, or the history to do that at the moment. Our history of transfers since the wild west opened up has been the under the radar guys. Prior to that, Pitino got Marcus Carr out of Pittsburg which was a great get, and he got Robbins because of the assistant coach being his uncle. Garcia came back to be near family. Battle was from here (and still left for the money). I am encouraged about the 2 guys we have heard about today- guys that can fill a role on a good team...like rebounding or defense. Maybe this 6-3 kid can be a poor man's Marcus Demasc.

If we keep Christie, we are lucky enough to have a nucleus where the right types of guys may be the pieces to the puzzle we are missing. There is not going to be some future NBA type savior coming in here.

There is no way Garcia is planning to play substantial minutes at the 5. That is not his professional future. Whether Ben gets the 5 at the top of list is doubtful, but he certainly needs to be looking for a real 5.

If this guy is Canadian and isn't eligible for NIL (ala Edey)...hopefully we could scrape enough $$$ together for Key, keep Christie and next year might be fun to watch.....
That's our Moneyball NIL loophole. We need to become the team of Canada. Minnesota is basically Canada. There's even Tim Horton's. Get that Dave Smart guy as an assistant too.

According to On3, Danny Wolf either did or is expected to commit to Michigan. You have to remember that we couldn't get Andrew Morgan and supposedly Nebraska's NIL offer was double ours.

You can't land leading players just based on high recruiting expectations. If you spend too much time going after players (especially big men) with a low probability of committing, you end up with Charlie Daniels. Big men go fast, even the average ones.

Danny Wolf had "do not contact" on his portal entry. There was never a chance to even talk to him.

If you’re a Canadian at a US university, you aren’t allowed to be employed??

Just wondering why NIL is being claimed as not possible.

If you’re a Canadian at a US university, you aren’t allowed to be employed??

Just wondering why NIL is being claimed as not possible.
i was confused by this as well. Canadians don't need a F-1 visa, they can come in via an I-20. Seems the I-20 infers F-1 status, even though there is no F-1 visa. So, they have thesame earnings restrictions as other international student athletes

they can earn passive income, NIL. basically income from jersey sales

I really want Isaiah Gray. Watched him play 1 time against Ohio State. I think the crowd would love him.

Absolutely!

He kept them in that game and looked like a well rounded player - good at all facets of the game.

i was confused by this as well. Canadians don't need a F-1 visa, they can come in via an I-20. Seems the I-20 infers F-1 status, even though there is no F-1 visa. So, they have thesame earnings restrictions as other international student athletes

I don't know the specifics but I saw an interview with Edey and a separate one from Painter where they both referenced that he could not accept any NIL money because of his Canadian citizenship. He was indicating that lawyers were trying to change it but that it would be a slow process.

List all known Gopher contact with portal people here.

Don’t include traitorous Minnesotans like Morgan and Dania.

Just the lucky few our coaching staff have contacted please.

I hate this crap.
The 2 most recent traitors to return were Garcia and Battle. In hindsight it's good that CBJ didn't dismiss them as traitors. Both players, particularly Garcia were good additions. Unfortunately, Battle was a 2-time traitor. I remember CBJ was a traitor in the early 2000's too. Would be quite hypocritical for CBJ to reject MN players that didn't go to the UoM out of HS. In addition, MN didn't recruit every MN player and those players shouldn't be considered traitors.

With an F1 visa, the international student can only work off campus in jobs that are associated with their academic pursuits. For example, a geology major could get a job at some lab. That is standard for all students on an F1 visa. I think eventually someone argues that their education is REALLY basketball and breaks down the final facade of the idea of a "student athlete".

As far as passive income, I don't believe the jersey sales would be considered passive (and they are too tied to the university). For something to be passive, your role in the monetization of that thing has to be absolutely zero. For example, lets say people wanted sell GopherOhana posters. They would market them, they would create them, they would sell them and they'd just give you a cut. Now, if they used existing pictures (like pulled them from the internet), your involvement would be passive. If you posed for the poster, it would be active.

Top Bottom