All Things Emmanuel Karmo (Robbinsdale Cooper HS) Recruitment Thread

Here's a screen grab of the Robbinsdale School District Boundary. I've outlined in red, and to the best of my recollection, the border of Brooklyn Center that is part of the district.
Sure, well and fine.

I am talking about kids who do or “should” by home address attend BC high school, Park Center, Mpls North, or Mpls PH.

Is this the parcel of land we're offering Karmo to stay home?
Well, are we trying to put back all the land that was together Earl Brown's farmstead for him? If so, there's a chunk to the east that needs to be added.

Sure, well and fine.

I am talking about kids who do or “should” by home address attend BC high school, Park Center, Mpls North, or Mpls PH.
Actually the top border of that area is shared with Park Center, so.... not a transfer problem. ;)

Actually the top border of that area is shared with Park Center, so.... not a transfer problem. ;)
I don’t follow you. If a kids home is in the Park Center boundary and he open enrolls to Cooper … why wouldn’t that count as a transfer?

I’m not even saying Karmo’s home isn’t in the Cooper boundary.

My comment is that I just thought that it seems unusual that Cooper had relatively such high end talent for an inner ring, lower income public school. They had the 5* kid who went to LSU I believe last year or the year before.

Schools like Fridley, SLP, Richfield aren't producing anywhere near that kind of talent?

Hence wondering if Cooper head coach is connected to surrounding areas youth programs and pulling in good prospects from those programs to Cooper. Not against the rules, not claiming it is

Last edited:

I don’t follow you. If a kids home is in the Park Center boundary and he open enrolls to Cooper … why wouldn’t that count as a transfer?

My comment is that I just thought that it seems unusual that Cooper had relatively such high end talent for an inner ring, lower income public school. They had the 5* kid who went to LSU I believe last year or the year before.

Schools like Fridley, SLP, Richfield aren't producing anywhere near that kind of talent?

Hence wondering if Cooper head coach is connected to surrounding areas youth programs and pulling in good prospects from those programs to Cooper. Not against the rules, not claiming it is
Mostly it comes down to the coach and what they do with their youth and high school programs, and also luck. Sometimes you just get good athletes coming through.

Cooper is also double the size of Fridley, and quite a bit larger than Richfield. SLP actually has had some good teams in the past but for whatever reason just hasn't had a ton of D1 talent.

Irondale is a good comp for Cooper (size and demographics) and also has produced some D1 guys just like Cooper.

At least we'll get to see him in the B1G conference.
And much like other top MN players in the past, choose big time schools, enters the transfer portal when they could of just stayed home, get play time and build something special here.

I'm just pointing out how close Park Center's border is to Cooper. But I forgot you already knew that.

Would you guys rather he NOT list Minnesota in the top 7 to protect your emotions if he goes elsewhere? Personally, I'm glad that most of the top local talent keeps MN on their list until the bitter end, even if they choose to attend elsewhere. Of course, there are many examples of them choosing to stick around too!

Would you guys rather he NOT list Minnesota in the top 7 to protect your emotions if he goes elsewhere? Personally, I'm glad that most of the top local talent keeps MN on their list until the bitter end, even if they choose to attend elsewhere. Of course, there are many examples of them choosing to stick around too!
I think people prefer honesty and not be strung along.

So we’re talking that raw talent from N/NE Mpls, Brooklyn Center, southern Brooklyn Park are transferring into Cooper?

Otherwise, as someone else pondered, it would be interesting to me that it just so happens that parts of Crystal, Robbinsdale, and New Hope are goldmines of football talent that other comparable inner-ring suburbs aren’t.
I wonder if there is an open-enrollment angle to it. As you said in your next post, nothing wrong with it if there is. Howard is a good coach who had a highly successful career and that's a selling point for a kid who envisions himself playing at the next level.

When I think about the effect open-enrollment has had on high school sports, I automatically think of a lot of those great Hopkins basketball teams where all of the starters came from other districts. Clearly an anomaly, but I don't doubt that some top-tier kids move to a higher visibility situation.

This.

Also … is it really necessary to have a top 7? That then iterates down to a top 5 with a new announcement, that then iterates down to a top 3 with a new announcement?

I struggle with the balance between “this is their time to shine, let them enjoy it” and “you’re not that special, have some humility”.

At the same time just because a top local talent doesn't pick the Gophers doesn't mean they didn't seriously consider them. It is possible the Gophers are in the running right now.

What is “serious consideration”?

Anyone can claim they “seriously” considered anything they want.

Proof? Tangible evidence?
Do you get a kick out of being so difficult?

It’s just a guess. It’s highly likely that at least some of the local high talent considered the Gophers and didn’t put them in their top 5, 7 whatever just because they’re the local team.

Yet some people automatically think that because a guy doesn’t pick the Gophers, that they never really considered committing to them.

Serious consideration = they’re part of the final decision

What would satisfy you?
Don’t make a top 7, which is absurd in of itself, but more to the point don’t include us in any top whatever just for the look of it. Just to keep people off your back about going to the local school.

Don’t make a top 7, which is absurd in of itself, but more to the point don’t include us in any top whatever just for the look of it. Just to keep people off your back about going to the local school.
It might be easier for you to just stop following recruiting than to try to get the 17 year-olds to stop making lists.

It might be easier for you to just stop following recruiting than to try to get the 17 year-olds to stop making lists.
I can complain about anything I want for any reason I make up. That’s the purpose of GH. No need for you to further respond

Top 3 is fine. Get it down to that and let that be your only announcement.

Doing multiple is just attention seeking.

I have become very pessimistic about local talent that does the "here are my top choices thing," stretching out his process until a final drum roll, with attendant suspense, etc. The choice in rarely (never?) Minnesota. Why would a kid take this kind of solipsistic approach if he wants to be a Gopher and holds an offer? The top-end kids who truly want to be Gophers commit quickly (Coughlin, Perich), because it is what they want. Then they help build the recruiting class through networking on social media, etc. They don't hang back; they jump in and help. Hope I am proven wrong with this kid. Maybe he'll be a Gopher. But the "look how many schools want me!" approach he's using leads me to believe he won't be.

There was no NIL for Coughlin to ponder and he was a legacy.
Perish is outstate as well.
So your comp isn’t truly 🍎 to 🍎, more like 🍎 to 🍑

Last edited:

Top Bottom