Transfer Portal 2024

No inside knowledge here but Tessa Johnson has to be thinking about it. She's fifth on the guard depth chart, everyone is returning and South Carolina is adding a top guard recruit.

With the open portal, does anyone have any insight who the Gophers will be targeting?

The first domino of the Rutgers women's basketball team's offseason has fallen, as guard Kaylene Smikle will enter the transfer portal after two seasons as a Scarlet Knight, according to reports. She will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Smikle was a star early on in her career and carried the Scarlet Knights on both ends of the floor at times, especially during her freshman season. That season, she earned All-Big Ten Second Team honors and was named to the conference's All-Freshman team, finishing as a runner-up for the Freshman of the Year award behind Ohio State's Cotie McMahon.

we are ONLY losing on Senior so it's not like we are going to have that many open roster spots..
with the portal taking over the world; I have a feeling we will see some movement. I don't expect all the freshman to be back; but, I could be wrong.

I really hope Gopher fans take a good hard look in the mirror and be realistic with the portal. It's 2024 and every team has transfers OUT of their program. The same will likely happen this year with Minnesota. On paper, when talking about playing time, it would make sense that these scholarship players could potentially leave:

M. Czinano (13.2 minutes per game vs. Big Ten teams)
N. Holloway (10.6 minutes per game vs. Big Ten teams)
A. Madol (3.2 minutes per game vs. Big Ten teams)
M. Dalan (2.3 minutes per game vs. Big Ten teams)

I really hope Gopher fans take a good hard look in the mirror and be realistic with the portal. It's 2024 and every team has transfers OUT of their program. The same will likely happen this year with Minnesota. On paper, when talking about playing time, it would make sense that these scholarship players could potentially leave:

Not sure about Czinano. Now that the Covid year is done after this year’s seniors, why would she leave with only 1 year of eligibility left?

Not sure about Czinano. Now that the Covid year is done after this year’s seniors, why would she leave with only 1 year of eligibility left?
Well with that logic, why does any player leave with one year of eligability left? In a lot of cases it is about maximizing their final year of playing college hoops...

I don’t see Holloway leaving. As a redshirt fresh I expect she will continue to develop.

Now the other three I wouldn’t be shocked.

why would Nia leave? she just got 30 minutes in the Rutgers game.. She is a prefect fit coming off the bench being a spark.

Serious question since I don’t follow the details of women’s basketball. Do most freshmen women come in expecting a lot of playing time in first year? The only d 1 player I’ve ever known, who was highly rated, did not and was fully prepared to develop behind more experienced players.

I saw the Michigan game and thought Madol showed a lot of potential. Could get a lot more playing time next year.

It’s a math game and there more scholarships for women than men, likely leading to more players getting fewer minutes proportionally than men.

Serious question since I don’t follow the details of women’s basketball. Do most freshmen women come in expecting a lot of playing time in first year? The only d 1 player I’ve ever known, who was highly rated, did not and was fully prepared to develop behind more experienced players.

I saw the Michigan game and thought Madol showed a lot of potential. Could get a lot more playing time next year.

It’s a math game and there more scholarships for women than men, likely leading to more players getting fewer minutes proportionally than men.
every person is different. Some have a different expectations than others, obviously. But the thing to remember with this particular group is that while yes, they all stayed through the coaching change... none of them were recruited by the Plitzuweit staff. So if Plitzuweit wants to make meaningful changes with the roster, she might have some tough conversations with the group about their roles on the team next year. If the student-athletes don't like those conversations, or the direction of their roles, then they'll probably enter the portal. Which is a GOOD THING for everyone invovled, imo.

every person is different. Some have a different expectations than others, obviously. But the thing to remember with this particular group is that while yes, they all stayed through the coaching change... none of them were recruited by the Plitzuweit staff. So if Plitzuweit wants to make meaningful changes with the roster, she might have some tough conversations with the group about their roles on the team next year. If the student-athletes don't like those conversations, or the direction of their roles, then they'll probably enter the portal. Which is a GOOD THING for everyone invovled, imo.
Thanks. Good point.

Like almost every other team, I'd suspect we're looking for a post player. And, minutes played last season for players like Madol (and Zie) who had significant time off for injury don't really tell the story of how well they can fit in. Everyone loses player(s) in the portal now, you just don't want to lose core players. I trust our current coaching staff to make the best moves they can for all for the team.

Like almost every other team, I'd suspect we're looking for a post player. And, minutes played last season for players like Madol (and Zie) who had significant time off for injury don't really tell the story of how well they can fit in. Everyone loses player(s) in the portal now, you just don't want to lose core players. I trust our current coaching staff to make the best moves they can for all for the team.
The way to bolster the chances of getting better players from the portal is to donate to Dinkytown Athletics. Without NIL money your chances are slim to none.

Gophers could use some more true post players, Hart will be a senior next year and unfortunately has also battled a lot of injuries in her college career. Be interesting to see what comes around.

Nia's minutes for a first season back from an ACL were handled well. I can't believe she expected to ramp up any faster. Highlighted by the 30 solid minutes she played vs Rutgers shows that she's now in a spot to compete for more time next year. I can't believe she'd want to leave that 2023 class just as she's got herself in shape to run with them.

Perhaps she will follow her big sister Hannah’s path, to Iowa? Although her stats and presence were not on par with Hannah’s…..

she was honored during senior day. i wouldn't doubt her decision was made a while ago. just waited to announce it once the season was over.

Top Bottom